• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-01-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Brian, I hope it gives you comfort that a random girl on the internet finds you cute.

Seconded. Hope this brightens up your day! Anime smile

Edit: Hey Brian. Are those the clothes you want to be immortalized in, or do you have any requests for specific themes or outfits? Personally, I'd draw you in an L thinking position because you mentioned the sunken eyes (don't worry, I have them too) and L has all the "answers." But if you hate Death Note, it's probably better not to...(btw, anyone can take that idea. I'm a writer, and I can't draw).

I gateway based on a person's personal preferences. One of my college friends was afraid anime was all fighting, screaming, and weirdness, so I started her off with the quiet and thoughtful Kino's Journey. Another friend was really into the occult and fantasy, so I introduced her to Yu Yu Hakusho. Third friend is a romance reader and fell in love with Fruits Basket.

Generally I start out with, "What kind of shows do you watch/books do you read?" and go from there. It helps that I have an electic collection.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Gateway: Samurai X OVAs. If that doesn't get them, I dont know what would Anime hyper!!!

Jewel of my collection: Humm that's hard to say. I have alot of stuff, but I think my favorite is my CLAMP in wonderland special edition dvd, cause the extra book that comes with it is quite spiffy Anime hyper!!! Also, my tokyo babylon volumes, cause...love Anime hyper!!! One day I want to get some of the CLAMP in 3Dland figures, and then i'll have a real jewel Anime hyper!!!
Beryl7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I've seen part of the TMNT OVA...needless to say I couldn't finish it. I showed it to my older brother, who grew up with/introduced TMNT to me in the first place, and he looked like he wanted to cry....
It was an interesting effort, though.

Ah, I normally keep these kinds of comments to myself, but damn, Brian, you're pretty hot. ...Am I now the third chick to cast that opinion? Keep up the great work.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get to send in an answer for the jewel of my collection... because I can't pick one! I've got some nice stuff (in my opinion) lying around. Frontrunners include:

-My FMA DVD set. Original single releases, all 3 artbox tins and soundtracks, 5 Funi promo artcards, and a smattering of autographs across the first few DVDs. Currently I have Vic Mignogna, Travis Willingham, Catilin Glass and Colleen Clinkenbeard. I'll get Aaron Dismuke this spring. Plus, I have the LE release of the movie.

- My Haibane Renmei autograph square, signed by Yoshitoshi ABe and Yasuyuki Ueda. Ironically, I was originally bringing in a Lain VHS to be signed, and switched to the board becuase it was free, better-looking, and let me upgrade my Lain to DVD later. I eventually saw Haibane Renmei and was very, very glad for that board.

-My Hare Tokidoki Buta (Tokyo Pig) storyboard, autographed by Shinichi Watanabe, along with 2 doujin drawn and signed by him. I won this from the drawing in Newtype USA issue 1.

-A sketch of Yukari from Paradise Kiss, drawn and signed by Osamu Kobayashi. Also a Newtype USA drawing prize- let this be a lesson that mailing in those cards does work.

-A Shaman King promo Yoh standee given to me by the nice folks at my now-gone local Suncoast. He's about 5 feet tall from base to upstretched hand.

-Finally, the oddball of my collection for sure, a ukrainian-dyed egg of Kyo from Fruits basket- human on one side, cat on the other. I got this from a con art auction, and I can't imagine how hard it was to make look as good as it does, given how you have to dye the eggs. I really wish I had pictures. Crying or Very sad

purplepolecat wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

The banner: Whoever wins that contest, they should ideally call him New Answerman

Or Answerman : The Search For Vengeance.

*snickers* That was great. Laughing
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So I'm assuming 600x240 then? Also could you post up all the entries? That would be awesome, I want to see what everyone does Very Happy
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
My favorite anime possessions are certainly my BECK DVD I got signed by Greg Ayres...he didn't just sign it, he coated every square inch of the thing with his cool graffiti. If you've seen the BECK cover art, you know it just looks better with extra garble on it.

...and I also have an adorable Trigun messenger bag with chibi Wolfwood on it. Johnny Bosch did sign it, but I mostly love it because I got my boyfriend to cosplay as Wolfwood that year, so the bag reminds me of him...

But those aren't around for me to take pictures of, so this little bit of memorabilia is keeping me company right now. Had my wisdom teeth out, and I feel sick as, well, a dog, ironically. (Feel free to gawk at how bad I look in that picture, bleuuugh.) I kind of feel bad squeezing him, though, as the little perv no doubt enjoys it too much. Anime hyper
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Jewel(s) of my collection include:

The completed (full) Kanon box set (i.e. the art box filled w/ all 6 DVD's) AND my Air box set (art box w/ all 4 DVD's) ... mostly because these are near impossible to find/get now ... I've seen Kanon DVD's listed for $80 online!
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
A bit belated (and I never did get a photo), but while my collection isn't exactly overwhelming, I'm unduly proud of my original/authentic Cowboy Bebop OST box set - complete with the absurdly goofy bonus mini-single of Ed (and Ein) 'singing' the theme song. One of the real bright spots about living in Seattle is the astonishingly good music selection at the local Kinokuniya; I've found more great game soundtracks (Ico/Shadow of the Colossus; Rez - Gamers Guide to; the beautiful Okami box set; the Klonoa 2 OST, which I have a serious soft spot for; a physical copy of the Pixeljunk Eden soundtrack; tons of Square oddities; etc etc etc) there than I would have imagined before I moved here...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Since everybody keeps misspelling "Brian" as "Brain".... why not just call him "Answerbrain"?

konkonsn wrote:
championferret wrote:
Brian, I hope it gives you comfort that a random girl on the internet finds you cute.

Seconded. Hope this brightens up your day! Anime smile

Hmmm... memo to self: launch new line of Answerbrain plushies. Deluxe edition to come with special earplugs for protection against squealing fangirl voices (safety first).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The jewel of my anime-related collection is probably my Otogi Zoshi wall scroll featuring Hikaru (the same picture as is seen in the encyclopedia entry for the series), since it was damn near impossible to find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Since everybody keeps misspelling "Brian" as "Brain".... why not just call him "Answerbrain"?

Did you stealth fix them? I can only find one.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The jewels of my collection would be all the Sailormoon merchandise I have, especially my Eternal Sailormoon doll.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to recruiting B- and C- actors for dubbing work, isn't there also the problem that they are probably MPAA (I think) union members? Their union demands a very large "minimum wage" which is out of the question for dubbing work, and it frowns very heavily on members (or anybody else) who work for anything less. Or so I read somewhere.

My favorite anime artifact would be something I made myself--an artificial Halloween Jack-o-Lantern which I carved with the figures of two Mushi-Uta characters. It took a lot of time and trouble (those thick styrofoam pumpkins wear out the blades of X-acto knives like crazy!). Or maybe the Gashopon-like figure I'm sculpting of one of the girls from Burn-Up.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The jewel of my anime collection is the first-run tin + vol. 1 of Fullmetal Alchemist where they actually used my name on the quote, and then put the sticker with the quote directly on the tin rather than on the shrinkwrap, so if you bought the tin when it came out, my name is plastered right on your tin! HA HA HA
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm more than a little irked at your casual dismissal of pretty much the entire dub industry, I'll answer anyway.

Jewel: My signed "Sora no Koe" album from angela. I got to meet them at Otakon some years back, and since I was the last in line for autographs I got to actually chat a bit before they had to go. Both really nice, really friendly people. I'd love to hang out with them again!

Gateway: I dunno. Something that doesn't bubble over with anime cliches. Monster has been a good one, so has Honey and Clover once people get past the art. As for movies, most of Satoshi Kon's works have...worked, naturally, and I've had some success with sci-fi like Karas and Vexille. Stuff that is really gorgeous and appeals to Americans' tendency to go "Ooooh, shiny!" xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6