Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Yamato 2199 Film's Promo Video Streamed




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Arsenette



Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm soooooooooo going to buy this if it ever hits the USA..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheAncientOne



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 1841
Location: USA (mid-south)
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I think I almost experienced nostalgia overload. Very Happy

To clarify, that's a good thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Definitely needs to be licensed in the west. If Voyager (who hold the licence to the Yamato/Star Blazers franchise in the US) don't or can't release it, hopefully they'll work with someone else to do so.

Star Blazers was one of my favourite anime growing up, and the uncut Japanese version was never available outside of Japan. Would be nice to see the same story reanimated and updated for the 21st century.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stararnold



Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Posts: 226
Location: LaSalle, Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Definitely needs to be licensed in the west. If Voyager (who hold the licence to the Yamato/Star Blazers franchise in the US) don't or can't release it, hopefully they'll work with someone else to do so.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and it's been long since any Space Battleship Yamato anime was given an R1 DVD release. The last SBY anime that got legally shown in Canada (though with no DVD or Blu-ray release) was Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection. I am hoping the Otakuthon 2012 and other anime cons this year will consider the first two Yamato 2199 movies for screening.

ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Star Blazers was one of my favourite anime growing up, and the uncut Japanese version was never available outside of Japan. Would be nice to see the same story reanimated and updated for the 21st century.
You can always check out the first four theatrical SBY films and Space Battleship Yamato: New Voyage on R1 English sub DVD. As for the episodes of the first three SBY T.V. series to my knowledge, there is still a matter of rights issues in Japan over who has rights to export the Japanese audio raw copies of the episodes themselves to the U.S. for commercial English subbing, and if not mistaken, the conflict's between Bandai Visual (who distributes the SBY on DVD and blu-ray in Japan) and Tohokushinsha Film Corporation (who took over overall copyright to the first three SBY T.V. series from the now defunct Westcape Corporation).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Definitely needs to be licensed in the west. If Voyager (who hold the licence to the Yamato/Star Blazers franchise in the US) don't or can't release it, hopefully they'll work with someone else to do so.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and it's been long since any Space Battleship Yamato anime was given an R1 DVD release. The last SBY anime that got legally shown in Canada (though with no DVD or Blu-ray release) was Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection. I am hoping the Otakuthon 2012 and other anime cons this year will consider the first two Yamato 2199 movies for screening.


Question of licensing again. I'd like to see Resurrection released on Blu-Ray in the west too, but given the recent trend of refusing to release Blu-Ray masters to the west Kadokawa have started, I'm not sure how long it would be before a Blu-Ray version is available as the Japanese release was only in March this year.

ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Star Blazers was one of my favourite anime growing up, and the uncut Japanese version was never available outside of Japan. Would be nice to see the same story reanimated and updated for the 21st century.
You can always check out the first four theatrical SBY films and Space Battleship Yamato: New Voyage on R1 English sub DVD.[/quote]

I actually still have all of them on VHS Very Happy... New Voyage wasn't a theatrical release? Surprises me, it was as well-animated as the later releases (Be Forever Yamato and the absurdly plotted but visually pretty Final Yamato (read: Captain Okita was dead. As in really dead. Bringing him back was a contrived plot point that did nothing to honour the sacrifice he made, much like Mu La Flaga's in Gundam SEED)).

stararnold wrote:
As for the episodes of the first three SBY T.V. series to my knowledge, there is still a matter of rights issues in Japan over who has rights to export the Japanese audio raw copies of the episodes themselves to the U.S. for commercial English subbing, and if not mistaken, the conflict's between Bandai Visual (who distributes the SBY on DVD and blu-ray in Japan) and Tohokushinsha Film Corporation (who took over overall copyright to the first three SBY T.V. series from the now defunct Westcape Corporation).


Huh, thought Macross was the only classic anime having issues over rights. Since SB was cut to some extent (though nowhere nearly as badly as Gatchaman was for Battle of the Planets) the video would also be needed.

Hopefully, this remake of 2199 will (a) be licensed in the west and (b) successful enough that a Space Battleship Yamato: 2201 (read: remake of Yamato II/Comet Empire) would be made.

If it doesn't get licensed here, I suppose the really well-to-do and/or dedicated Yamato fan could buy the Blu-Rays from Japan (they have English subs), but I did the math this morning and at a touch under Y70,000 (US $879, AU$900) for the entire 26 episodes, I could get four of the Soul of Chogokin Yamato model I just imported. And paying nearly $1000 for a single TV series is beyond a joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GWOtaku



Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 655
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Action-packed and looking great. It warms my heart to see the effort they seem to be putting into this thing.

ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:


If it doesn't get licensed here, I suppose the really well-to-do and/or dedicated Yamato fan could buy the Blu-Rays from Japan (they have English subs), but I did the math this morning and at a touch under Y70,000 (US $879, AU$900) for the entire 26 episodes, I could get four of the Soul of Chogokin Yamato model I just imported. And paying nearly $1000 for a single TV series is beyond a joke.


FWIW, with Amazon Japan it's possible to knock the cost down to about $690 due to what they knock off the price tag (assuming volumes 3 - 7 cost what vol. 2 does, which they should). Yep, I checked. That site is the way to do it. Still unmistakably steep to say the least of course, and a harder hit to take than Gundam Unicorn due to the much faster release schedule.

So yeah, here's hoping for R1 release and/or streaming when it is on TV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Action-packed and looking great. It warms my heart to see the effort they seem to be putting into this thing.

ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:


If it doesn't get licensed here, I suppose the really well-to-do and/or dedicated Yamato fan could buy the Blu-Rays from Japan (they have English subs), but I did the math this morning and at a touch under Y70,000 (US $879, AU$900) for the entire 26 episodes, I could get four of the Soul of Chogokin Yamato model I just imported. And paying nearly $1000 for a single TV series is beyond a joke.


FWIW, with Amazon Japan it's possible to knock the cost down to about $690 due to what they knock off the price tag (assuming volumes 3 - 7 cost what vol. 2 does, which they should). Yep, I checked. That site is the way to do it. Still unmistakably steep to say the least of course, and a harder hit to take than Gundam Unicorn due to the much faster release schedule.

So yeah, here's hoping for R1 release and/or streaming when it is on TV.


You found it on Amazon Japan? I tried there and could only find the live action.

[Edit] Never mind, found at least the first volume. Putting "Space Battleship Yamato 2199" or even "Space Battleship Yamato" wouldn't return it, but "Yamato" did.


Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Thu May 24, 2012 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GWOtaku



Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 655
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it wasn't hard. Simply searched for "Yamato 2199"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Two seconds later, found it (see edit above).

Meanwhile, would be interesting to see who they would cast in an English dub. They could get Eddie Alan to reprise his role as Desslok - one character where the English VA was absolutely brilliant (like Greg Snegoff's Khyron in Robotech). If Eddie Alan was resurrecting the role I'd actually watch the dub just for that (I hardly watch dubs anymore these days, notable exceptions having been Haruhi and Black Lagoon).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arsenette



Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
.. that was 30 years ago.. I doubt I'd want to hear a bunch of old people voicing teenagers Laughing wait.. nevermind it's been done before Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
.. that was 30 years ago.. I doubt I'd want to hear a bunch of old people voicing teenagers Laughing wait.. nevermind it's been done before Twisted Evil


I did say only Desslok... I'm not sure about the breathing status of the other English voices. The remaining voice acting on Star Blazers was pretty stock standard... Desslok's the one you remember. The rest they could take from the current crop of talent, although I'd like Crispin Freeman and Johhny Yong Bosch in there if possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Arsenette wrote:
.. that was 30 years ago.. I doubt I'd want to hear a bunch of old people voicing teenagers Laughing wait.. nevermind it's been done before Twisted Evil


I did say only Desslok... I'm not sure about the breathing status of the other English voices. The remaining voice acting on Star Blazers was pretty stock standard... Desslok's the one you remember. The rest they could take from the current crop of talent, although I'd like Crispin Freeman and Johhny Yong Bosch in there if possible. Actually, Crispin Freeman would be a good alternative as Desslok.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arsenette



Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Arsenette wrote:
.. that was 30 years ago.. I doubt I'd want to hear a bunch of old people voicing teenagers Laughing wait.. nevermind it's been done before Twisted Evil


I did say only Desslok... I'm not sure about the breathing status of the other English voices. The remaining voice acting on Star Blazers was pretty stock standard... Desslok's the one you remember. The rest they could take from the current crop of talent, although I'd like Crispin Freeman and Johhny Yong Bosch in there if possible.


LOL Breathing status Smile but yes I know what you mean. Still though I'm all for nostalgia but I don't mind using other voices for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GhostShell



Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1009
Location: Richmond, B.C., Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It looks like they've put a lot of hard work into Yamato 2199, based upon what I've seen from the promo vids. Add me to the list of fans who'd like to see this released in N.A., preferably with an English dub included.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 398
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
They've redone the original opening theme too. And from the small soundbytes available on neowing (CD Japan) they're doing it justice. I hope they're doing the same with the BGM tracks. Yamato and Robotech had some of the best BGM tracks I've heard in any anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group