• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Men of Inaction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Speaking of movies, I just watched Raid Redemption yesterday. An absolutely awesome straight-action film.

... And speaking of well-written anime that fit perfectly in their episode count, Xam'd is a recent one! Though as Justin said, you'll do well to avoid that Steven Foster dub.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Action-based shoujo? Pretty Cure, duh! Shugo Chara and Umi Monogatari are good, too.

My guilty pleasure? Dragonball. The original series, not Z.

Well arguably both Precure and Shugo Chara are of a younger mindbase than SM tends to be. Of course SM only has that during its latter seasons. There's a shortage of slightly deeper magical girl stuff out there. Not Madoka deep but not Precure shallow.

Zac said he couldn't think of any action-based shoujo that had aired recently, so I responded. I realize that Precure targets too young for the timeslot. But I have to disagree about it being shallow, and that goes double for Heartcatch.

The Toonami thing frustrated me because I'd let the hype build my hopes up too high. My imagination was filled with dreams of an afternoon return that would usher in a new generation of tween anime fans. When it became clear that this was just a packaging change, I came crashing back down. But I'm okay now.

I'm still worried about where the next generation of anime fans are going to come from, though. None of the handful of anime currently airing are aimed at tweens or young teenagers. They aren't going to enter the fandom by subscribing to Crunchyroll; something like Toonami is necessary to spark their interest and show them what's out there.

Last edited by Ojamajo LimePie on Fri May 25, 2012 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
My guilty pleasure is Kodomo no Jikan!

No one will ever find out as the R2 discs only play in my laptop :3

Thank goodness.

BTW, "literally pulling down your pants and taking a shit on the sofa" is classic hahahaha.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

The Toonami thing frustrated me because I'd let the hype build my hopes up too high. My imagination was filled with dreams of an afternoon return that would usher in a new generation of tween anime fans. When it became clear that this was just a packaging change, I came crashing back down. But I'm okay now.

I think this is partially where a lot of the negativity comes from, and I personally think it's understandable. The upcoming return of Toonami comes across as superficial; the heart is in the right place, but the spirit and elements for success don't seem to be there. People want Toonami to succeed, and it's reasonably frustrating to feel as though [as] is following the same approach that seems to have made their anime block lose popularity over the past decade.

The old Toonami was successful in popularizing anime back in the day because it offered the right programming (light-spirited action shows) at the right time (weekdays after school). The shows were broadly appealing to a youth/young adult demographic, and aired at a time when their viewership could regularly and easily catch the shows --- all the elements for success.

The upcoming Toonami revival, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have those same elements --- it feels like the wrong shows at the wrong time. I personally don't think adults are interested in following serious, episodic series one episode/week late at night --- partially because adults want to unwind late at night instead of engrossing themselves in something serious (I like being able to turn off the TV in the middle of a show if I'm getting sleepy), partially because adults are usually asleep after midnight, and partially because people may miss an episode or the beginning of a series, and subsequently skip the block every time it airs (I think this reason may be the most damaging to their viewership).

My personal opinion is that if [as] wants the block to succeed, they need to either air more light-hearted/comedic/episodic shows in their late night block, air stand-alone movies/ovas, or move the block to an earlier time altogether (at least before 10pm) so that people can at least watch the serious shows at a practical hour.

In any case, I was surprised at how angry Zac seemed about the negativity. I would think it's preferable for the fans to encourage Toonami towards success through their criticism, than to smilingly pretend nothing's wrong and watch the block fail. After all, a handful of negative nancies isn't going to kill the upcoming Toonami --- Toonami's success is going to ride on how well the new shows and the new bumps attract adults to watching serious, continuous-storyline anime shows after midnight on the weekends. Who knows, maybe the fan movement will be enough to make the block successful, and maybe the shows will be compelling enough to keep them coming back for more. I personally don't think a new coat of paint on the [as] block is going to be enough, but we'll see.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Fri May 25, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
... I'm still worried about where the next generation of anime fans are going to come from, though. None of the handful of anime currently airing are aimed at tweens or young teenagers. They aren't going to enter the fandom by subscribing to Crunchyroll; ...

You're aware that you don't actually have to subscribe to Crunchyroll? There are lots of teenage members that seem to be, from the number of 14 year old free members on that site.

And at least in the US, if they decide that they want to spend their allowance on a subscription, they can put money into a Rxity account at 7/11 or a Coinstar machine.

Kikaioh wrote:
... The upcoming Toonami revival, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have those same elements --- it feels like the wrong shows at the wrong time. I personally don't think adults are interested in following serious, episodic series one episode/week late at night --- partially because adults want to unwind late at night instead of engrossing themselves in something serious (I like being able to turn off the TV in the middle of a show if I'm getting sleepy), partially because adults are usually asleep after midnight, and partially because people may miss an episode or the beginning of a series, and subsequently skip the block every time it airs (I think this reason may be the most damaging to their viewership).

Don't paint with too broad a brush on the "adults" ~ the Adult Swim target audience are twenty-somethings, not old geezers, and if the "Toonami" push is coming from 30-somethings, well, pushing a little older on Saturday late night than their normal weekday late night demographic makes sense, since they can't very well push younger.

Most weeks they've got a million people tuning in to Bleach with a rating of 0.9% at 12am, and that seems to often be with an uptick in viewer numbers over the previous show, so its not all carry-over. And then a fairly large number click off.

As far as "serious" shows not being the right thing for the block, sounds like you are one of the few people presenting the positive case for Deadman Wonderland. Its got a catchy OP, its flashy, it has weird fights, and the plot is sufficiently incomprehensible that you lose very little from missing an episode.

Plus, it would have been dirt cheap, and as a short series, it doesn't need a lot of staying power.

The ideal (flashy, light hearted, strong episodic content as well as plotline content) would be Tiger & Bunny, but T&B is not yet done being dubbed, and they might have to get a ratings bump first in order to be able to afford it in the first place.

The episode a week is a fair point, and gets stronger the more time passes since Bleach has aired ~ I could see a rationale for having the second half of the 3hr block be triple-plays. It might get more DVR viewers than late night audience, but DVR fodder helps keep down cable subscription churn rates, so at least it would make the cable systems happy, given that 1:30am to 3am on a Saturday night on a channel targeting 20 somethings is not going to get strong ratings in any event.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri May 25, 2012 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
In any case, I was surprised at how angry Zac seemed about the negativity. I would think it's preferable for the fans to encourage Toonami towards success through their criticism, than to smilingly pretend nothing's wrong and watch the block fail. After all, a handful of negative nancies isn't going to kill the upcoming Toonami --- Toonami's success is going to ride on how well the new shows and the new bumps attract adults to watching serious, episodic anime shows after midnight on the weekends. Who knows, maybe the fan movement will be enough to make the block successful, and maybe the shows will be compelling enough to keep them coming back for more. I personally don't think a new coat of paint on the [as] block is going to be enough, but we'll see.
Well...the problem is that Toonami had literally zero options for time slot and almost zero for content, so complaining about what we got doesn't accomplish anything. They're working with what they have, and what they have is not much. If people want to see a real comeback, they need to show that they want it.

But I think Zac's real frustration is with the section of fandom who scowls every time the industry tries to do something nice. It's not something that's unique to this situation.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But I think Zac's real frustration is with the section of fandom who scowls every time the industry tries to do something nice. It's not something that's unique to this situation.

That's the vibe I got as well, and I agree with it completely. To be honest it really seems at times like the anime fandom is the only fandom in existance that can't be satisfied with anything. Of course that;s probably not entirely true, but it seems when anything happens there's always someone booing in the background and it;s more obvious with anime fans than with other fandoms.

Either way I look forward to watching Toonami tommorow. They made it rather clear what the stakes are and why they have the shows they do, and I want to see them succeed to that we CAN get the stuff people want/
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Zac, the pastry you said "looked like the Fairies took a giant dump"
is a croquembouche
http://myfavoritefrenchantiques.blogspot.jp/2012/01/white-dreams-beyond-christmas.html
a type of traditional French wedding cake.

France now hates you.

(and it's made of cream puffs, not cinnamon buns)
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
In any case, I was surprised at how angry Zac seemed about the negativity. I would think it's preferable for the fans to encourage Toonami towards success through their criticism, than to smilingly pretend nothing's wrong and watch the block fail. After all, a handful of negative nancies isn't going to kill the upcoming Toonami --- Toonami's success is going to ride on how well the new shows and the new bumps attract adults to watching serious, episodic anime shows after midnight on the weekends. Who knows, maybe the fan movement will be enough to make the block successful, and maybe the shows will be compelling enough to keep them coming back for more. I personally don't think a new coat of paint on the [as] block is going to be enough, but we'll see.
Well...the problem is that Toonami had literally zero options for time slot and almost zero for content, so complaining about what we got doesn't accomplish anything. They're working with what they have, and what they have is not much. If people want to see a real comeback, they need to show that they want it.

Well, I can understand that [as] doesn't have much choice when it comes to their time slot, and it's a shame they don't have a lot of budget to support the new block.

That said, I still have a hard time jiving with the content issue. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I think the problem with their anime lineup is that adults aren't interested in watching strictly serious anime with a continuous storyline after midnight, which I think is why the [as] anime lineup has suffered in recent years. I would think light-hearted/comedic/episodic action shows targeted at a young adult/mature audience would be more appropriate late-night programming, and would be just as accessible for [as] to obtain (but, if those kinds of shows are totally beyond their financial reach, I guess all that can be said is that they're doing the best with what they've got Sad ). One recommendation I'd have in that situation would be for them to look into classic shows that fit the block (I'm guessing that they'd be cheaper [and just as entertaining], but I wouldn't know for sure).

In any case, I'll be tuning in Sunday morning myself to see how it all turns out and to show some support. I'm hopeful, but I think my reservations about the lineup are setting my expectations lower than I'd like. Confused
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Well arguably both Precure and Shugo Chara are of a younger mindbase than SM tends to be. Of course SM only has that during its latter seasons. There's a shortage of slightly deeper magical girl stuff out there. Not Madoka deep but not Precure shallow.

I'll add my voice to the other people who piped up about this, but Precure is KICKASS with a capital KICKASS! There are some really awesome action pieces in each series.

Also, while Precure may be aimed for a younger audience than Sailor Moon, I'm not sure if it's THAT much younger-- the merchandising is pretty similar and seems to go for the same kind of audience (Precure toy commercial, Sailor Moon toy commercials) Sailor Moon might seem more grown-up than Precure with its older cast, focus on romance and heavy drama, but it was aimed at very little girls, much like Precure! They're both Studio Toei anime with merchandise produced by Bandai; Sailor Moon was aired late Saturday afternoons while Precure runs on Sunday mornings, but they cater to the same demographic. I think it's just a sign of the times that the two are tonally so different. Maybe Japanese seven-year-olds were made of tougher stuff in the 90s than they are now!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Action-based shoujo? Pretty Cure, duh! Shugo Chara and Umi Monogatari are good, too.

My guilty pleasure? Dragonball. The original series, not Z.

Zac said he couldn't think of any action-based shoujo that had aired recently, so I responded. I realize that Precure targets too young for the timeslot. But I have to disagree about it being shallow, and that goes double for Heartcatch.

I'm still worried about where the next generation of anime fans are going to come from, though. None of the handful of anime currently airing are aimed at tweens or young teenagers. They aren't going to enter the fandom by subscribing to Crunchyroll; something like Toonami is necessary to spark their interest and show them what's out there.

Zettia Karren Children is another magical girl show "well physic abilities really" that could fill the slot due to the low-key humor that some late night fans might like. I now my opinion might not mean much but eh just throwing it out there lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
I know that End of Evangelion has some crazy shit going on, but I share Justin's view in thinking that the original ending of the series is good. I truly feel that Hideaki Anno did End of Evangelion just to shut up bitching fans.

I am glad that Zac called out the people who seem to always complain every time good news are announced.

I hope Section23/Sentai is on good economic health, and they keep bringing quality titles. I totally agree with the guys on the English dubs Sentai titles have. I like English dubs, but if Sentai is going to have crappy dubs, I rather have subbed only. I really hope an eventual English dub of Kids on the Slope is good.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
In semi-defense of Steven Foster, the man HAS directed some very good dubs before. As has been brought up, he did Chevalier during his ADV days, as well as the criminally under-rated dubs for Gilgamesh and Cromartie High School.

And during his Sentai run, despite him messing up BIG TIME with Guin Saga, he directed the excellent Mardock Scramble and CANAAN dubs (seriously, has NO ONE else heard the dub for CANAAN? it was great!).

And I'm gonna be honest here.... I REALLY LIKE the Highschool of the Dead dub. Cheesy out-of-place one-liners aside, on a technical level the dub is well-cast, well-acted, and well-directed. As for the added foul language, let's be honest here; if YOU were stuck in a zombie apocalypse, wouldn't YOU let a ton of F-bombs fly?

[/spoiler]

I have watched some of the dubs you cite. Some are good and others seem lazily down. In my opinion the dub of H.O.T. D was very good. The way the script is done is crucial, but you also need to have the correct voice cast.

The H.O.T. D dub was good because it had the right voices IMO. In contrast, the script for the ef series can be great, but having Greg Ayers voice one of the lead characters does not sound like a good idea.

I have nothing against Greg Ayers, but I think he is better suited to voice support characters, but not lead.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
In semi-defense of Steven Foster, the man HAS directed some very good dubs before. As has been brought up, he did Chevalier during his ADV days, as well as the criminally under-rated dubs for Gilgamesh and Cromartie High School.

I had been meaning to mention Gilgamesh. I thought that he did a really good job with that. I thought that Shelley Calene-Black was exceptionally good as Kyoko. I liked his take on Le Chevalier d'Eon too. I also liked his work on Steel Angel Kurumi, wherein he successfully guided Hilary Haag off the reservation into an entertaining, but 'interpretative' performance as Karinka. (I didn't go past the halfway point of that series, so I don't know if it collapsed later on).

I liked the English version of ICE, which he directed, but that was such a bonkers OVA that hesitate to make a judgement based upon it. Chris Patton has a great audition tape for RuPaul's Drag Race after doing it, if nothing else.

Yet, I recall something that he said on the sometimes almost surreal 'audio diary' that he recorded as an extra feature for Gilgamesh. If I remember rightly, he pretty well admitted that if he isn't 'into' a show, he doesn't really try very hard. So, he can direct a high quality English dub, but not reliably. He seems talented, but, and I hate to use this now dishonored word, but I think that it fits here, also somewhat unprofessional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that question about a female cast-driven anime on Toonami. I'm surprised Madoka Magica didn't come to anyone's mind. It would be a HUGE risk on Toonami's part, but I'm sure Aniplex would be willing to license it out cheap unless Durarara! was an epic failure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6