• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Removes Moribito from Weekend Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Seriously, this may not be AS's fault. If the series is doing well in the ratings, it probably wasn't something they wanted to do. I'd bet they just don't have any new episodes to show and so are removing the title until they do. I personally don't want to see more repeats of the first ten until the series can move on.
Eh, I wouln't bet on that, they ran a card a while back that stright up said that Geass was one of thier highest rated shows and that got punted up like an Eleven at a Britianian Christmas Party.

I'm trying to find it on Bump Worthy but I swear I remember seeing it

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/893

And no, I have no idea what they meen by them geting betrayed, I've put it down to standard Williams Street Nonsence.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I gave up on AS years ago and starting buying DVDs. Other anime fans should do the same.
second
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well this sucks. I wish Sci Fi picked this up before Adult Swim, because Adult Swim is just going to let the contract run out while they don't air it.
herbkir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
If it is a supply problem and [AS] can't get any more episodes from Media Blasters, then Kim or someone should get on the forums and explain what happened so fans' ire is directed at the guilty party.

As to Moribito being "slow and boring", I have to disagree about the boring part. I see Moribito as offering a window on a fascinating universe full of interesting people.

The gambling episode (No. 10) was incredibly heavy with dramatic tension as Chagum put his most precious possession on the line as a matter of honor. The kid "put his money where his mouth is." Great stuff, even though there was little "action" going on. (^_*)
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
If it is a supply problem and [AS] can't get any more episodes from Media Blasters, then Kim or someone should get on the forums and explain what happened so fans' ire is directed at the guilty party.

As to Moribito being "slow and boring", I have to disagree about the boring part. I see Moribito as offering a window on a fascinating universe full of interesting people.

The gambling episode (No. 10) was incredibly heavy with dramatic tension as Chagum put his most precious possession on the line as a matter of honor. The kid "put his money where his mouth is." Great stuff, even though there was little "action" going on. (^_*)

Maybe it is a supply problem. I don't know.

I too agree that Moribito isn't slow. In a way, it's like Lord of The Rings, periods of calmness which are very interesting story wise, and fight scenes that are very well done.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Evidence from Adult Swim's own public ratings announcements indicated Moribito's ratings were about on par with Geass R2, so it was hardly a ratings disaster. It was bringing in over 200K viewers each week in the 1:30 timeslot. So maybe it wasn't ratings at all.

I suspect it might have been problems with supply. For instance, what if Media Blasters had gotten only the first 10 episodes from defunct Geneon in dub, and sold them on the assumption they could finish dubbing the rest in time for airing. But something went wrong and Blasters couldn't finish the project.

So far, only the first 10 episodes of Moribito have been put onto DVD. The first two DVDs are out with Eps. 1-7 while the third DVD with Eps. 8-10 is due for release in mid-February. I haven't heard anything about future releases of the rest of this series.
I really like the show but at this moment I can't buy or rent DVDs past Ep. 10. Which is a bit frustrating. (^_*)

All I see is a bunch of people jumping to conclusions and going "blah blah AS sucks." And normally I'd be right there with everyone.

But I'm going with the above reasoning as well. They can't air episodes that haven't been completed yet, guys. Sure, they could just keep showing the same 10 episodes over and over again until they get new episodes, or they could stop and show something else. And honestly, in a situation like this, it's probably better to switch to something else and wait until more episodes are ready, and then air it again. Granted they don't usually do that for shows like Inu Yasha or Bleach, but then Moribito doesn't have a 50+ episode backlog they can play through either.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
Well this sucks. I wish Sci Fi picked this up before Adult Swim, because Adult Swim is just going to let the contract run out while they don't air it.

But SciIFi doesn't air shows that boring. And they're better for it.

The tragedy here is that ASA is being phased out, not Moribito's cancellation. Moribito was a mistake from Day 1, but as Kim has shown- if at first slow shows don't suceed, keep airing them until your block dies because of your own stubbornness and anti-fanservice policies.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
By the by, Cait, are you liking Blockbuster for renting anime? I found my recent Blockbuster experience to be poor compared to Netflix. Blockbuster was always a day slower in turnaround and not all of their anime are catalogued in anime, which is so...unhelpful.

I use Blockbuster because they have in-store exchange, and Netflix does not. The turnaround rate could be do to a number of fators: distance from their local processing facility, rarity of items you are asking for rental, or possibly the number of titles you are renting each month (as in, when you watch and return too many, the turnaround speed slows down, but Netfix does that, too). I don't have a problem with the website categorization because I don't browse for anime there, I get ideas for titles to rent (many from ANN) and then find them by searching on the site to add them to my Queue. My biggest problem with Blockbuster is actually their variety and availability of anime. Much of the anime in my Queue is "unavailable" or has such a long wait time that it will be sitting there for months (or in the case of Full Metal Panic volume 3, it has been sitting there for over a year).
boznia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Seriously, this may not be AS's fault. If the series is doing well in the ratings, it probably wasn't something they wanted to do. I'd bet they just don't have any new episodes to show and so are removing the title until they do. I personally don't want to see more repeats of the first ten until the series can move on.
Eh, I wouln't bet on that, they ran a card a while back that stright up said that Geass was one of thier highest rated shows and that got punted up like an Eleven at a Britianian Christmas Party.

I'm trying to find it on Bump Worthy but I swear I remember seeing it

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/893

And no, I have no idea what they mean by them geting betrayed, I've put it down to standard Williams Street Nonsence.

The reason they feel "betrayed" is because those numbers are only a little more than half of what they were when Saturday ratings were at their height a few years ago (around the time they were showing Fullmetal Alchemist and Inuyasha premieres). The card is saying, "You've betrayed us by not watching in the same numbers like you used to, not the other way around."

...at least I assume that's what they're trying to say.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim's ratings bit is so laughable. Cable channels can't hope to keep good ratings that late at night. Most of the time, cable channels don't give a damn about ratings to begin with, unless they're trying to stick it to the others (ala those stupid cable news channel fueds). It's a poor excuse for the folks at Williams Street who dislike anime to drop programs.

I wouldn't expect Moribito to get good ratings to begin with. The show is as slow as molasses. Though it's a lot better than Code Geass or Bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm ticked. Moribito is the main reason I watch AS now (since I'm still watching the first season of Code Geass via AS on Demand), and now they are taking it off of the schedule when they are finally getting new episodes? That is so freaking lame!

-sighs- Well...all I can do is hope that the DVDs may still be released eventually, even without the TV showing. I'm never going to resort to fansubs, but still, I'm going to get bored extremely fast watching the first 10 episodes over and over on my special collection. XP
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe that there is someone very powerful at AS who hates anime. Moribito was, imho, the second best anime they have ever aired, but it seems to me, that they intentionally sabotaged it's ratings. When it first aired they moved it to 5:30 am after the first episode and then moved it to 1:30 am after restarting it again - so it never got a continuous showing in either less-than-choice time slot.

Perhaps the lack of consistent or reliable dubs was a factor but when/if they get around to making an announcement about the cancellation, they will also site poor ratings. Maybe they are waiting until they also cancel Geass, after all, it has been getting the same treatment so far.

I think that they are making room for Tim & Eric's latest show. Each episode of this one is rumored to consist of twenty-three minutes of static with no audio or visual embellishments. It's guaranteed to be Tim & Eric's funniest show yet.

No one has mentioned the seven hundred pound gorilla in the room - fansubs. I know that ANN is very hostile to the whole idea of fansubs and I understand and mostly agree with why this is so, but for those whose lives are ruined by the lack of any way to legitimately see a show - especially one that they have hooked you on by showing only part of it - I personally wouldn't think poorly of them if they downloaded the missing parts. The problem is that any reputable fansubbers long ago quite properly removed this show from their lists, but if you know where to look, you can probably still find them lurking in the darker corners of the internet.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Adult Swim has reaped the fruit of airing slow, boring CRAP and almost nothing but while Sci-Fi turns a two hour infomercial for Manga Entertainment into a better two hours of anime than AS has had since Champloo ended. Moribito was dull, boring, and SLOW. And Kim Manning loves slow shows, but no one else does.

Just because an anime has a dialogue heavy and a slow pace does not make it crap. And just because an anime is heavy in the action and drama department does not mean that is is good either.

For all you know, Sci-Fi made a deal with Manga to just show only their anime and are not allowed to show any other anime from other companies.

I hope Moribito is just going through some dubbing problems, because I was really enjoying it and look forward to its return. While I wish they'd put Blood+ on in Moribito's slot, doing so may not even be worth it, depending how many days Moribito is off the schedule.
QXZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually disappointed in Adult Swim's decision to pull Moribito, since I was actually getting more and more enveloped by its later episodes.

herbkir wrote:

Indeed it was. Easily my favorite episode of the series so far.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been presented with the opportunity to watch this show but having heard a number of good things about Moribito...this seems like Adult Swim is shooting its own foot, unless there's a far more compelling explanation behind it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10