• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Removes Moribito from Weekend Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parakiss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Moribito was the only show I was watching on AS. I guess all I can do now is wait for the dvds. Anime cry
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I am really saddened by this. I don't watch TV, but the fact that no one else can enjoy it on TV is saddening. And I'm concerned by the fact that no DVDs are listed past vol. 3.

As for Moribito being "slow" and "boring"--mein Gott, what is WRONG with you? Not every show is supposed to be like Naruto or whatever other same old same old shonen is out there. Moribito is FAR from boring OR slow. Yes, it is dialogue heavy. However, if you LISTEN to what's being said, it's far from slow OR boring. This is good stuff, and it's sad that many of you are too blind to see that.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Moribito is only slow if you have a short attention span. sure, it's not ac action-packed as something like Bleach, but it's got a more intelligent plot even than Death Note (which I've seen many an AS watcher laud as something highly intellectual).

I'd just like to hear SOMETHING solid here about why it's off AS and why there's no DVDs listed past the 3rd.
Starre257

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm gonna cry.

At least I still have Kurokami... the magical show no one can spoil for me.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I may have to console myself with the fact I'm at least going to get to read the second novel in the Moribito series in English... *sigh*
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:

For all you know, Sci-Fi made a deal with Manga to just show only their anime and are not allowed to show any other anime from other companies.

If that were true, Gurren Lagann wouldn't have aired on it.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
With regard to Gurren Lagaan, I think Bandai had to give Manga Entertainment the digital distribution rights in order to get it as well as Gundam 00 aired. Which is not something I think too many companies are willing to do just to get their show on the air, otherwise I think more companies would be fighting for a spot in that two hour weekly block.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
You've gotta be kidding me. Right when new episodes were set to air once again, they up and remove it from their schedule?

While I don't mind losing this show, the timing irks me.
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, now they can show more episodes of Robot Chicken and Frisky Dingo! Won't that be fun?

Yes, and certainly better than more Inuyasha.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The Ani-Mondays block on Sci-Fi is essentially a two-hour commercial for Manga Entertainment's library of titles. Manga (presumably) pays for the air-time (though the arrangement is likely more complex, as both Sci-Fi and Manga are owned by the same parent company), and in return, they get to fill it with whichever shows they choose. For the few series like Gurren-Lagann and Gundam 00 that weren't Manga properties, Manga sublicensed the TV broadcast rights from Bandai Entertainment, so in that respect they still technically qualify as Manga's properties.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
And apparently Bandai is perfectly happy with the partnership judging by the convention appearances.

But that's all besides the point. The Ani-Monday block is beating Adult Swim where it counts, the shows.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda got upset all arms about it, I found out that some problems with Dub, so I'm kinda P.O. myself about finding news between anime and whatever I can find to start the day up right, I need to keep that going, but back on issue, I hope this matter can be resolved in weeks to come, come to understand what was it all started between these kinds of issues, just wanting to know why? Hoping this wont go permanent.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
so we have an update... which doesn't tell us why it was cut or why there's no release date for anything past DVD3...
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
With regard to Gurren Lagaan, I think Bandai had to give Manga Entertainment the digital distribution rights in order to get it as well as Gundam 00 aired. Which is not something I think too many companies are willing to do just to get their show on the air

And I, along with many Canadians who watch Anime on TV hope that the R1 companies are reluctant to make a deal with Manga [read as: The Devil]. Here's why:

Myself, on AoD wrote:
Canada's new source of anime is... Superchannel! Yep the channel that approximately 72 (I kid, I kid, probably more) people in the country of 30+ Million get... Reason? It's a new unknown subscription based movie networks that launched in a market dominated by channels like Movie Central/The Movie Network. And faced with a hefty subscription fee ($15 a month with some providers) I doubt the channel will be quickly embraced.

How did they become Canada's biggest anime source? Easy. Deals with the right people. Superchannel has a deal with Starz Media, the parent company of Manga Entertainment. Whom some may know runs Sci-Fi's anime block. Well, apparently for a show to air on Sci-Fi it has to have it's TV Distribution Deal signed away to Manga, not just in the US, but no, for all of North America, aka R1 land. And because Manga is owned by Starz, and Starz has a deal with Superchannel, all shows that air on Sci-Fi in the US will air on Superchannel in Canada without a single word from other broadcasters, such as YTV. This means show such as Gurren Laggan, Gundam 00 are/will air on a limited appeal channel, no matter the availability. This is a kin to putting Gurren Laggan in Imagin Asian in the US. Heads would roll. Thanks Bandai!

You can read the full blog posthere. It talks about where Canada stands with Anime On Television. And how the end is very near.

BeatDigga wrote:
And apparently Bandai is perfectly happy with the partnership judging by the convention appearances.

With that I take it Bandai doesn't know the effect of thier deal with the devil for Canadians. Since they themselves were a driving force in getting anime on TV in Canada.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
With regard to Gurren Lagaan, I think Bandai had to give Manga Entertainment the digital distribution rights in order to get it as well as Gundam 00 aired. Which is not something I think too many companies are willing to do just to get their show on the air, otherwise I think more companies would be fighting for a spot in that two hour weekly block.

Yeah, they have some sort of relationship like that. After an episode they would oftentimes advertise Gurren Lagann episodes that could be downloaded from Manga Entertainment, even though Bandai has the rights. Plus some of the Manga Entertainment DVDs I own have trailers for Bandai shows. I'm not totally sure of what they're relationship is, but there certainly seems to be one.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
But that's all besides the point. The Ani-Monday block is beating Adult Swim where it counts, the shows.

...you're referring to the programming block that's aired such gems as Virus Buster Serge or Sword for Truth. [adult swim] at its very, very worst (which I'd probably classify as Trinity Blood) is still waaaaaay higher up the quality scale than some of the drek that Manga has deemed air-worthy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10