• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim's Toonami Block Returns Tonight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Shaterri's take on Deadman Wonderland. It might be edgy enough to draw viewers (or not, we'll see) but personally I find dark and cynical shows like that not to be all that entertaining lately.
agila61 wrote:
It has to be cheap. And has to be at least the ratings draw that Cowboy Bebop / GitsS would be. I know what shows I would like, but I have not idea what old anime would be a ratings draw in the mens-18-24 demographic.

Perhaps Cowboy Bebop won't be going anywhere anytime soon? Maybe as the block gets more content they can give it a hiatus but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I think, and note this is just my take. That Williams Street may be going for more serious action series this time around, since on top of Toonami being on [Adult Swim] now, they have comedy on most of the time, so maybe they find shows like Casshern & Deadman a good way to balance that out.

By leading off their new series with Deadman Wonderland it seems like they are saying the new Toonami will have darker and edgier content. But personally for action series I'd prefer something like Canaan or Broken Blade over a brutal show like Deadman. But you take what you can get I guess. I like Casshern Sins on the block though.
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Personally I think they should wait till they get more time-slots to get the more cartoony long running shonen, things like Fairy Tail & One Piece would be better to air at 9PM then at midnight, and it would be rather jarring to see such a serious show as Deadman be replaced with Something like FT.

Isn't that already the case with Bleach and Deadman though. They're aired back to back and it's pretty jarring. Bleach and Fairy Tail would go good together though.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@Notazaku: Fair enough, but in defense of Bleach, its Darker then say Fairy Tail & One Piece. Sure its still a generic long running shonen, but it fits in with Casshern & Deadman abit better. At least imo.

And yeah I agree that Cannan would be a nice addition to the block, wonder if Sentai will offer shows to Toonami?
Shradow

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping for Panty and Stocking if Toonami makes a fully successful return, and I actually didn't know it had been dubbed until the talk of it being wanted for the lineup later.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Shradow wrote:
I'm hoping for Panty and Stocking if Toonami makes a fully successful return, and I actually didn't know it had been dubbed until the talk of it being wanted for the lineup later.

Yep, and the DVD hits stores this July. I pre-ordered mine from RightStuff! Can't Wait to get it! (& mah sexy scanty & knee socks Wall-scroll! Embarassed Razz Cool )
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
I agree with Shaterri's take on Deadman Wonderland. It might be edgy enough to draw viewers (or not, we'll see) but personally I find dark and cynical shows like that not to be all that entertaining lately.
agila61 wrote:
It has to be cheap. And has to be at least the ratings draw that Cowboy Bebop / GitsS would be. I know what shows I would like, but I have not idea what old anime would be a ratings draw in the mens-18-24 demographic.

Perhaps Cowboy Bebop won't be going anywhere anytime soon? Maybe as the block gets more content they can give it a hiatus but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Do they have something that is (1) cheap, as still in its license period and (2) will be able to draw 600,000-800,000 at 2am? They could always rotate GitS:SAC in at 2:30am and follow it up with Cowboy Bebop at 2:30am early in 2013. That reduces the risk if they slot something in at 2am that they think will perform well but it doesn't have any drawing power among men 18-24 who are watching after FMA:Brotherhood or before GitS, and also means they'd only have to find one 2am "classic" at a time.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
notazaku wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Do they have something that is (1) cheap, as still in its license period and (2) will be able to draw 600,000-800,000 at 2am? They could always rotate GitS:SAC in at 2:30am and follow it up with Cowboy Bebop at 2:30am early in 2013. That reduces the risk if they slot something in at 2am that they think will perform well but it doesn't have any drawing power among men 18-24 who are watching after FMA:Brotherhood or before GitS, and also means they'd only have to find one 2am "classic" at a time.

Actually, I wonder if a lot of the late night ratings is just inertia. Mainly from people leaving their TVs on at night or just flat out lying in their Nielson diaries and it doesn't matter what is on.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
agila61 wrote:
notazaku wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Actually, I wonder if a lot of the late night ratings is just inertia. Mainly from people leaving their TVs on at night or just flat out lying in the TV diaries and it doesn't matter what is on.

I wouldn't be surprised I fully admit I fell asleep about 3AM with Toonami still on my TV. Infact I often fall asleep with the TV on *bad habit I know*

(But hey at least my unconscious self is helping to give CN/AS, or at times the HUB ratings, lol.)
Farix

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
farix wrote:
Actually, I wonder if a lot of the late night ratings is just inertia. Mainly from people leaving their TVs on at night or just flat out lying in the TV diaries and it doesn't matter what is on.

I wouldn't be surprised I fully admit I fell asleep about 3AM with Toonami still on my TV. Infact I often fall asleep with the TV on *bad habit I know*

(But hey at least my unconscious self is helping to give CN/AS, or at times the HUB ratings, lol.)

You won't help the ratings if you are not part of the Nielsen survey sample. Unfortunately, too many people think that their viewership helps the ratings. But unfortunately that is not how the Nielsen ratings system works.

For more details, you can view this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDwlej_IwA

Oh, and one other bit of information. Only 40,000 households actually determine what the ratings are from week to week. In the grand scheme of things, that is an extremely small sample size for a survey that represents over 313,000,000.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
farix wrote:

You won't help the ratings if you are not part of the Nielsen survey sample. Unfortunately, too many people think that their viewership helps the ratings. But unfortunately that is not how the Nielsen ratings system works.

For more details, you can view this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDwlej_IwA

But again, don't some cable & satellite providers keep tabs on what people watch & relay that information to Nelsen. I mean if Nielsen families are still ALL they go by ratings would be WAAAY too inaccurate for modern television.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

And yeah I agree that Cannan would be a nice addition to the block, wonder if Sentai will offer shows to Toonami?

Sentai does have some titles in their library that could work for Toonami. What would be cool is for the to put Persona 4 the Animation on there and time its release to correspond to whenever Atlus USA releases Persona 4: Golden for the PS Vita.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Actually, I wonder if a lot of the late night ratings is just inertia. Mainly from people leaving their TVs on at night or just flat out lying in their Nielson diaries and it doesn't matter what is on.

That would have been more an issue back in the days when they were entirely based on diaries, without people meters.

The best rated April Fool's series other than Bleach was Outlaw Star.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
farix wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
farix wrote:

But again, don't some cable & satellite providers keep tabs on what people watch & relay that information to Nelsen. I mean if Nielsen families are still ALL they go by ratings would be WAAAY too inaccurate for modern television.

While they may technically be able to do that, they don't because of concerns over privacy. That is why the Nielsen system is "opt-in" and Nielson is selective of their sample.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
farix wrote:

That would have been more an issue back in the days when they were entirely based on diaries, without people meters.

Neilson still uses diaries. At least they did when my household was part of their survey two years ago.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Meh, Neilson or no Neilson i'm still gonna watch every Saturday night & show my support.

Although if Neilson really is all networks count ratings with, I find that highly idiotic. But meh, maybe thats just me. Laughing Razz

Back on topic, Anyone else Hoping Tiger & Bunny appears on the block eventually? I mean it would make sense to air it on TV this fall to amp up the blu-ray release in 2013.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Meh, Neilson or no Neilson i'm still gonna watch every Saturday night & show my support.

If you really want to show your support for a TV program in a meaningful way, support the advertisers and let them know that you saw their ad on that program. That is the only way a non-Neilson household can influence which programs are aired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15