• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Confirms Blu-Ray Disc Release for Bakemonogatari TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Only blu-ray? Well, crap. I wanted to check this one out, too. Sad
Just an unfortunate sign that anime DVD's are dying here.

Though they'll last much longer than in Japan where they won't last 10 years. Anime DVD's are becoming quite unprofitable compared to anime Blu-rays. Most anime DVD's can't even rank on the Oricon charts anymore, and we're starting to see some shows get Blu-ray only releases in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
No complaints here, dub obviously extremely difficult for this show.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Thank god I haven't heard of this series, because this seems to be a shit release. No DVD, no English dub, and probably at an insane price. Aniplex USA is such a terrible company, it's not even funny. There is absolutely no excuse not to release a single title on Blu-Ray and NOT on DVD, at least right now, and probably not for a long time. This is not Japan. It's especially screwy for those of us who don't have Blu-Ray players (and don't plan on getting one any time soon).
誤称

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
Will this be uncut and uncensored?

Inquiring minds want to know....
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Hope they dub this english voices would so work on this

No American voice actor or actress could ever do this series justice. They'd never live up to the sheer awesomeness of the original seiyuu.

On another note, being European, I hope this will be an all-region release, or at least a region A+B release.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Aniplex is the absolute last company I was hoping would do an R1 release of Bake. I was hoping for something more along the lines of NISA but I love Bake too much to be upset. So my whining aside, thank you Aniplex for finally giving us an R1 release and I will be paying whatever price you put on it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Thank god I haven't heard of this series, because this seems to be a shit release. No DVD, no English dub, and probably at an insane price. Aniplex USA is such a terrible company, it's not even funny. There is absolutely no excuse not to release a single title on Blu-Ray and NOT on DVD, at least right now, and probably not for a long time. This is not Japan. It's especially screwy for those of us who don't have Blu-Ray players (and don't plan on getting one any time soon).

Sounds like you're the one with the problem, not Aniplex. As for pricing, if it's Fate/Zero money, then yeah, insane. If it's Oreimo price, then a little high, but hardly insane. Complaining about the lack of a DVD is just complaining for the sake of complaining. Sounds like you'd find some reason to bitch, regardless of the release.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Hope they dub this english voices would so work on this

No American voice actor or actress could ever do this series justice. They'd never live up to the sheer awesomeness of the original seiyuu.

Sure they can try, but with these series, the dialog and the character interaction is all there is. The backgrounds are fancy, the fanservice is great, but it's nothing without the back and forth conversations and little snippets of snark and commentary on Araragi's part. I don't think there's even many other Japanese that could fulfill that role well, not even Sugita. Otherwise, trying to match up women to fill Yui Horie's, Miyuki Sawashiro's, Kana Hanazawa's, and and Kato Emiri's shoes would be fairly tough. I'd like to see them try, but for this show a bit too much would be lost in rewriting the script for a dub.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Somebody recently cited a Funimation survey that indicated 70 per cent of anime buyers have BD players versus 30 per cent for the general population. I think the day is coming very quickly when it simply won't be profitable for R1 distribs to provide DVDs, just like nobody provides VHS tapes any more. I can't wait for that day because this "waaah, waaah, no DVD ... why can't my preference for ancient technology be satisfied?" stuff is boring.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Somebody recently cited a Funimation survey that indicated 70 per cent of anime buyers have BD players versus 30 per cent for the general population. I think the day is coming very quickly when it simply won't be profitable for R1 distribs to provide DVDs, just like nobody provides VHS tapes any more. I can't wait for that day because this "waaah, waaah, no DVD ... why can't my preference for ancient technology be satisfied?" stuff is boring.

Luckily I don't think we'll have this debate after BluRay, since the most inevitable outcome is purely digital distribution after that. Of course, to get a nice 45GB encode via the net is difficult, so we'll have to settle for much more compressed video until internet speeds catch up.
scineram

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
I must say this is one show that could really benefit from a good dub. Reading the subtitles is a huge strain, so it would do good for a lot of people. Even if I would not listen to it. Or maybe I would.
zr2008

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
The more Fate/Zero I watch the more I hate Aniplex.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Luckily I don't think we'll have this debate after BluRay, since the most inevitable outcome is purely digital distribution after that. Of course, to get a nice 45GB encode via the net is difficult, so we'll have to settle for much more compressed video until internet speeds catch up.

Digital distribution would make ton of sense to save money and get you content quickly. It will be kind of sad for me if in the near future anime is no longer sold in some kind of physical disc (or card). Maybe I am too romantic, but I feel more comfortable owning something that I can touch with my hands.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

In Japan at least, I don't see digital distribution ever catching on for anime. None of these otaku are gonna pay the current prices for a file they can simply pirate... the reason they pay so much is because they are collectors and love to fill up their rooms with this stuff.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I don't think many people will pay Blu-ray prices for encodes measured in single-digit megabits, so the discs are sticking around for a while at least. That said, with UHDTV(over 33 megapixels), a new disc format will be needed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8