• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Confirms Blu-Ray Disc Release for Bakemonogatari TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
Since people tend to complain about Aniplex pricing, I wonder how many copies of full season set of $60 Funimation BD/DVD have been sold to casual fans...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Since people tend to complain about Aniplex pricing, I wonder how many copies of full season set of $60 Funimation BD/DVD have been sold to casual fans...

$60? Those Funimation BD/DVD combos are as low as $40 on Amazon.com. I imagine FUNi sells at least 7,000 copies per series at a minimum. But I don't think those kind of numbers of copies sold can pay for all the production costs.

To be fair, I don't think more than 15,000 buy anime on BD or DVD regularly (30 products a year) in the U.S. I think we sometimes over estimate how many people actually buy anime outside of Japan.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
reanimator wrote:

$60? Those Funimation BD/DVD combos are as low as $40 on Amazon.com. I imagine FUNi sells at least 7,000 copies per series at a minimum. But I don't think those kind of numbers of copies sold can pay for all the production costs.

To be fair, I don't think more than 15,000 buy anime on BD or DVD regularly (30 products a year) in the U.S. I think we sometimes over estimate how many people actually buy anime outside of Japan.

7000 at $40 would equal about 700 sales in Japan (since their 12 episode series would cost about $400), and generally you'd need between 3-5k sales in Japan to make even based on the budget (maybe even more). And thats just if the original company got full profit from the Funi sales... which they don't. More accurate would be like 30-40% of those sales go to the original company, so it would be more like equal to 250-300 sales.

So in the end, American sales are pretty meaningless to the Japanese companies. If something appeals to Americans but not the Japanese (like Deadman Wonderland didn't even rank in the Spring sales, where the cutoff was 700 copies), its a bomb regardless.
N.R.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
reanimator wrote:

I beg to differ. Do remember that a Japanese DVD/BD with no English can only be sold in Japan. An English subbed/dubbed DVD/BD sells all over the world. There are so many anime fans out there who don't live in the U.S. but 50% of the time the only way they can own a shown with English is to buy it exclusively from FUNimation (and lately Sentai).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
reanimator wrote:

From what we've here recently regarding sales, those 6-7k sales numbers might be on the high side. I would say that's more of a better performing number, rather than "minimum". Several people, including a rep from Sentai, have said that most anime releases only sell 2 or 3 thousand copies these days.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
reanimator wrote:

I beg to differ. Do remember that a Japanese DVD/BD with no English can only be sold in Japan. An English subbed/dubbed DVD/BD sells all over the world. There are so many anime fans out there who don't live in the U.S. but 50% of the time the only way they can own a shown with English is to buy it exclusively from FUNimation (and lately Sentai).

Yeah, but what about region locked? If you live outside region 1, why would anyone import DVD U.S. releases. I know that the U.S. and East Asia share the same region for BD, but the rest of the world doesn't.

Of course people around the world could buy region 1 and A DVD and BD players. But how many would do that to really impact FUNi and Sentai sales?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
I think that this Bake set will be cheaper than R.O.D but more than the Baccano! limited set. They are crazy if they think people will pay over $200 for it. The Japanese set costs around $200.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

From what we've here recently regarding sales, those 6-7k sales numbers might be on the high side. I would say that's more of a better performing number, rather than "minimum". Several people, including a rep from Sentai, have said that most anime releases only sell 2 or 3 thousand copies these days.

As comparison, back in the day, it takes about 40k unit sales (including sales of individual volumes) just to be considered a hit. How times have changed! Laughing

angelmcazares wrote:
N.R. wrote:

Yeah, but what about region locked? If you live outside region 1, why would anyone import DVD U.S. releases. I know that the U.S. and East Asia share the same region for BD, but the rest of the world doesn't.

In many parts of the globe, region-free DVD players are normal. It's only a handful of countries that are anal about it.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

angelmcazares wrote:
N.R. wrote:

In many parts of the globe, region-free DVD players are normal. It's only a handful of countries that are anal about it.

As far as I know, this is true. Certainly in the u.k. it's very common to own a multiregion player, whether it was purchased as such or hacked by the owner (which is pretty simple for most DVD players). Now, Blu-ray players are a different matter. There are no officially multi-region ones in the u.k. yet, and you can get cut off from the BD network if they find out you've modded your player to make it region-free (thus meaning that you can't get firmware upgrades and quite possibly that your player won't work at all).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
dandudeamiga wrote:
Doesn't bother me if it's going to be Blu-ray only--what matters to me is English dub!!!

Aniplex, add the English dub and I'll buy it in a heartbeat!!! I'm dead serious!

This.

I have no problem with BD only since I've long since been buying mostly BDs when available, but how the heck is this awesome show not getting a dub...I was so looking forward to one and the show was so popular and not niche that I really thought it'd get one... Sad
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
It was popular, but I think it is probably a niche in NA, even if not in Japan. Even if not, the dub would be difficult to do appropriately. There is a lot more dialog and a lot of it is Japanese wordplay. I like the idea of a dub on the grounds that I'd really like to watch the show without reading it since it's a very beautiful series, but it's so difficult I can't blame any company for not dubbing this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
It was popular, but I think it is probably a niche in NA, even if not in Japan. Even if not, the dub would be difficult to do appropriately. There is a lot more dialog and a lot of it is Japanese wordplay. I like the idea of a dub on the grounds that I'd really like to watch the show without reading it since it's a very beautiful series, but it's so difficult I can't blame any company for not dubbing this.

You perfectly encapsulate why it is not a great idea to dub Bakemonogatari. I enjoyed the series immensely fan subbed. I cannot wait for Aniplex USA to release this amazing series and watch all of its glory in Blu-ray.
Kettchup

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
BD only and no English dub. Chances are looking about as good as possible for subtitled commentaries, as the people who care about that are the ones they're marketing it to.

Easy purchase for any amount if they're included, easy skip if not.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Xanas wrote:

You perfectly encapsulate why it is not a great idea to dub Bakemonogatari. I enjoyed the series immensely fan subbed. I cannot wait for Aniplex USA to release this amazing series and watch all of its glory in Blu-ray.

but it would be hilarious to see what they come up with on the dub side. yeah, this series will be hard to dub without sounding stupid or change the meaning.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
but it would be hilarious to see what they come up with on the dub side. yeah, this series will be hard to dub without sounding stupid or change the meaning.

They'd have the change meaning, that's how making the script and ADR function, some meaning is always lost or changed in some manner. Even with just literal subtitles, you'll still lose something because you cannot translate out all meaning and convey it properly. But when dialog is the main driving focus of your show, when it's basically a book about characters talking quickly, dubbing would be a nightmare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8