• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirokuma Cafe Manga Goes on Indefinite Hiatus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow I am really enjoying Shirokuma Cafe & I think the director is doing a good job (having not read the manga to compare) but it's a shame that the producers didn't involve the manga-ka at all & didn't even care to get her input (or even tell her about it if I am getting the gist of the article).

I hope this doesn't affect the anime in anyway. Although I guess it's good she will have more input moving forward.
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well good for her!

The couple of episodes I saw of the anime were pretty cute, and I'm assuming it'll still be cute, but she IS the creator. To completely ignore her (and not give her royalties) is just damn rude.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I love Shirokuma Cafe, but it stinks if the original creator was being ripped off all this time. I'm glad that she seems to have things going her way now, and I hope that the manga doesn't stay gone forever.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everyone on this, as much as i'm enjoying Polar Bear's Café, I hope the manga creator can have her say in the adaptation of it. It's her work and her characters after all. Confused

I didn't notice the whole 4 fingers vs. 5 fingers thing, I guess she must really be dedicated to having a realistic portrayal of the various animals on the show.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Higa had also previously voiced complaints about adapted drawings of her works, specifically noting that bears should have five fingers, not four.

This kind of un-professionalism will not be tolerated.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Quote:
Higa had also previously voiced complaints about adapted drawings of her works, specifically noting that bears should have five fingers, not four.

This kind of un-professionalism will not be tolerated.

People who would be into Polar Bear Cafe are likely to be huge animal lovers. They're probably not the 'usual' group of otaku or anime fans, and they would notice this. Personally to hear that the manga-ka made the effort to make her animals realistic and then for the studio to mess it up because they are screwing her over really pisses me off. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was a genuine mistake.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
One example of countless that there must be and and we will never hear of.

This kind of news is for those naive ones that seems to gather here always supporting an industry evil schemes.

Like I have always said, the ones ripping off REAL CREATORS (yes the mangaka for example NOT THE PUBLISHER) is none other that the so called "industry" and publishers.

In fact thanks to the "evil" internet and "dirty-evil" sharers some manage to get so famous worlwide to hold some kind of influence and have a say in their own creations and of course get more pocket money from their publishers that considering the crazy amount of sales they manage to make millions of dollars...otherwise if you are a newbie or unknown you ca get screwed up and you are on your own.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
How about that proposed copyright law that's coming up? Honestly, I'd prefer mangaka end their manga rather than letting the publishers continue what they do and what control they'll be able to wield in the future.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How about that proposed copyright law that's coming up? Honestly, I'd prefer mangaka end their manga rather than letting the publishers continue what they do and what control they'll be able to wield in the future.

Pretty much this, if publishers keep pissing off enough of the mangaka it will bite them in the a**. A lot of mangaka are starting to realize that you can create your own manga, host it online, get ads and revenue through that and publish digital copies of your works. This is what really scares the hell out of publishers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying the anime, and it's shocking to hear how poorly the original manga's creator has been treated here.

I only hope they can make this up to her and give her the credit where credit's due.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Hope this doesn't become one of those where the original creator gets too involved with the adaptation resulting in too many chefs stirring the pot. Laughing
sarusa

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
That's quite sad - this is honestly our surprise favorite anime of the season. Zero expectations, but now we can't miss a show. The last episode with the driving lessons and the claws had us in hysterics - I was crying!

I'd love to see the manga over here, and I'd certainly love to see the author get some credit and renumeration.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Pretty much this, if publishers keep pissing off enough of the mangaka it will bite them in the a**. A lot of mangaka are starting to realize that you can create your own manga, host it online, get ads and revenue through that and publish digital copies of your works. This is what really scares the hell out of publishers.

I'm really surprised that Japanese publishers have gone as long as they have without adopting the Western method of "comics by committee". That's not to say we haven't seen several examples of a studio coming up with a concept and then finding random people to put the manga together (usually manga adapted from anime, light novels, and games are like that), but I think there's a chance of that becoming a bigger part of the industry as more and more creators speak their mind.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
dan:
Quote:
Like I have always said, the ones ripping off REAL CREATORS (yes the mangaka for example NOT THE PUBLISHER) is none other that the so called "industry" and publishers.

Not just manga, but anime, too. Clearly worse in anime, though. Otherwise, whatever Aniplex charges for its discs would actually go back to the staff.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
If its this hard for them to get royalties for the release in Japan. I wonder how often authors actually get royalties for the US releases, if at all?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2