• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Youth Healthy Development Council Looks at Yosuga no Sora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
You know, it's sad that there are so many people willing to embrace incest with open arms that those few who oppose such licentious perversions, like Dandelion and myself, are looked at as wierdos.

It's also highly aggravating that these same people also believe that just because I am perfectly fine with homosexuality (being bi myself), I also have to be perfecty fine with flat-out fornication.

It's also extremely aggravating that these people feel as if they have an obligation to "correct" me on my supposed "ignorance".
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
You know, it's sad that there are so many people willing to embrace incest with open arms that those few who oppose such licentious perversions, like Dandelion and myself, are looked at as wierdos.

It's also extremely aggravating that these people feel as if they have an obligation to "correct" me on my supposed "ignorance".

^ I agree with this whole heartedly.

-Stay Gold Chagen. Cool

But hey the modern anime fanbase has devolved from bunch of undersexed nerds ranting and raving about what giant robot they wanna drive and how they wish they could shoot energy balls out of their hands, to a bunch of undersexed nerds that like to share what fictional underage gal they wanna bang & live in their own fetish driven delusions, so whatcha gonna do. Laughing

*Personally I still like to talk about the giant robots, but thats just me.*
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, I like ecchi and moe too, but not all the time. And I certainly can agree that giant robots are badass as hell (Gurren Lagann will forever be the greatest anime of all time to me).
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Hey, I like ecchi and moe too, but not all the time. And I certainly can agree that giant robots are badass as hell (Gurren Lagann will forever be the greatest anime of all time to me).

RAH RAH, FIGHT DA POWAH!!! lol.

But yeah, don't get me wrong nothing with liking anime/comic/toon/etc gals. Thats fine. We all have our nerd/otaku crushes. My overall point was that it seems all to many fans will try anything to justify their more..... "unique" interests.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

It's also highly aggravating that these same people also believe that just because I am perfectly fine with homosexuality (being bi myself), I also have to be perfecty fine with flat-out fornication.

Nobody hear ever said "real-life incest is awesome"; the "pro"-incest arguments have all been from the consenting adults angle - if you don't like the implications, don't use the argument. Of course, box turtles, goats, etc can hardly be counted as consenting adults, so throwing bestiality in there is a slippery slope fallacy.

To put it more succinctly, nobody's arguing you should accept it, just that you should tolerate it 'twixt consenting adults. Feel free to be intolerant of the box turtle porkers, though.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You and Soundmonkey44 in particular also seem to frequently lose touch with the context of this discussion thread, which is about a government panel given the authority to censor cartoons. Oh yeah, there are a couple of people who've gone there and said something about the real world legal status of incest, but that's not what this thread is really about. Like I told Soundmonkey44 a week ago: I don't want you guys to be the executive gatekeepers of what I get to watch and read.

Dandelion_rose on the other hand seems to me to have a much deeper respect for the difference between the troubling dynamics of real world incest cases and fictional cartoons. If you feel treated like a weirdo, it's because you're complaining about this stuff in the context of censoring things. You're probably feeling the same thing that the parents who tried to get Harry Potter banned from their children's school libraries felt when their communities refused to let them do so.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You and Soundmonkey44 in particular also seem to frequently lose touch with the context of this discussion thread, which is about a government panel given the authority to censor cartoons. Oh yeah, there are a couple of people who've gone there and said something about the real world legal status of incest, but that's not what this thread is really about. Like I told Soundmonkey44 a week ago: I don't want you guys to be the executive gatekeepers of what I get to watch and read.

Dandelion_rose on the other hand seems to me to have a much deeper respect for the difference between the troubling dynamics of real world incest cases and fictional cartoons. If you feel treated like a weirdo, it's because you're complaining about this stuff in the context of censoring things. You're probably feeling the same thing that the parents who tried to get Harry Potter banned from their children's school libraries felt when their communities refused to let them do so.

See I rather dislike generalizations like this, comparing a bunch of jerky soccer moms trying to ban Harry Potter because they think "Magic iz evils" and comparing it to this, well, it just seems a bit silly. Sure they are overall both matters of censorship, but really the content in question is far too different to accurately compare. And you know what, yeah censorship sucks. But media, even if it is fictional that advocates &/or glorifies things like incest, rape, molestation, etc is pretty bad as well.

But hey, if being against content that glorifies such acts makes ME a biggot or freak, so be it.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall any stipulation in the first amendment that said ".....unless other people find it gross." You can absolutely abhor what is being expressed and still stand up for the right to express it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
See I rather dislike generalizations like this, comparing a bunch of jerky soccer moms trying to ban Harry Potter because they think "Magic iz evils" and comparing it to this, well, it just seems a bit silly.

That's strange. As a matter of fact I was just talking to a jerky soccer mom and SHE was telling me how silly it is to compare laws about "nonexistant youths" to something as serious as Harry Potter's seekrit occult satanism.

You don't get a pass because you're not a soccer mom. There's no two ways about it: You're doing the exact same jerky moral guardian shit she's doing. You have your political football of choice, and you're trying to force your opinion on everybody else by dicking around with the rest of the world's creative freedom.

Stop it already. If you're against content that glorifies such acts, be a grown-up and don't watch it. Don't be an asshat and take the choice away from me and tell me what's offensive and what I can't watch. That attitude is what makes people give you and the jerky soccer moms both funny looks.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
See I rather dislike generalizations like this, comparing a bunch of jerky soccer moms trying to ban Harry Potter because they think "Magic iz evils" and comparing it to this, well, it just seems a bit silly.

That's strange. As a matter of fact I was just talking to a jerky soccer mom and SHE was telling me how silly it is to compare laws about "nonexistant youths" to something as serious as Harry Potter's seekrit occult satanism.

You don't get a pass because you're not a soccer mom. There's no two ways about it: You're doing the exact same jerky moral guardian shit she's doing. You have your political football of choice, and you're trying to force your opinion on everybody else by dicking around with the entertainment industry's creative freedom.

Stop it already. If you're against content that glorifies such acts, be a grown-up and don't watch it. Don't be an asshat and take the choice away from me and tell me what's offensive and what I can't watch.

I love how someone being against something means they are "Forcing it down others throats" yet the opposite stance isn't, ahh gotta love human hypocrisy.

But hey think what ever yea want to think man.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I love how someone being against something means they are "Forcing it down others throats" yet the opposite stance isn't, ahh gotta love human hypocrisy.

Yeah, isn't that crazy? I think. I don't strut around like a big swinging dick telling the rest of the world what's good and what's bad and what they can be trusted to read and not read. I let them make their own decision. I think it's easy to see which side of the conversation has the hypocrisy monopoly.

But that's pretty normal as far as the intellectual capacity of the pro-censorship side. You're so blinded by your own obsession with the material that you can't see how ridiculous you look to everyone else. This is why people treat you like a weirdo.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

But hey think what ever yea want to think man.

But you aren't just against it. You are saying that no one should watch it.

This is a very distinct difference.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I never said no one should watch it, I said I personally do not advocate/support it.

Heck, what I think people should or should not watch isn't going to do anything. Again what bothers me is merely being against media like this is apparently grounds to demonize me.

Would I like to see media like this be minimized, heck yes. Do I think the stuff like this is garbage, yep. Do I think me being against it is going to make people stop watching it or making it, nope.

But that doesn't give me any less right to voice my opinion on the matter then anyone else.

But again, hey to each their own, whatever. No point in lingering in this discussion any longer, because apparently i'm just a soccer mom in a 21 year old males body. Laughing

Edit: @Banden: Yeah, insulting someones intelligence because their views are different then yours is a real mature thing to do. Rolling Eyes And yes I'M the weird one. Rolling Eyes
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Would I like to see media like this be minimized, heck yes. Do I think the stuff like this is garbage, yep. Do I think me being against it is going to make people stop watching it or making it, nope.

"Media like this be minimized" because you have a problem with it is just an evasive, weaselly way of saying that you'd like to take the decision out of the creative people's hands. Whether "you being against it is going to make that happen" is, bless his noodly appendage, absolutely irrelevant.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Edit: @Bandan: Yeah, insulting someones intelligence because their views are different then yours is a real mature thing to do. Rolling Eyes And yes I'M the weird one. Rolling Eyes

I can only reply to what you give me kiddo, and your logic is so tortured, you're asking somebody to call you a moron. You just threw out the most bizarre accusation of hypocrisy I've ever seen, because you want to "minimize" things and I don't, which to you makes them proportionally equivalent attitudes I guess. Rolling Eyes

Say something intelligent and I'll be the first one to give you credit for it. So far you've failed to deliver.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

"Media like this be minimized" because you have a problem with it is just an evasive, weaselly way of saying that you'd like to take the decision out of the creative people's hands. Whether "you being against it is going to make that happen" is, bless his noodly appendage, absolutely irrelevant.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Edit: @Bandan: Yeah, insulting someones intelligence because their views are different then yours is a real mature thing to do. Rolling Eyes And yes I'M the weird one. Rolling Eyes

I can only reply to what you give me kiddo, and your logic is so tortured, you're asking somebody to call you a moron. You just threw out the most bizarre accusation of hypocrisy I've ever seen, because you want to "minimize" things and I don't, which to you makes them proportionally equivalent attitudes I guess. Rolling Eyes

Say something intelligent and I'll be the first one to give you credit for it. So far you've failed to deliver.

^ Posts like this, why I both love & hate the internet. You keep calling me an idiot & telling me to get off my high horse, but your not doing much better my friend.

But hey if belittling others that don't share the same views on things like this as you is how you get your jollies, thats fine. As for me, I do believe i've had enough of this digital circus. Good day to you sir/madame. Sorry I seem to have left such a sour taste in your mouth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16