• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Youth Healthy Development Council Looks at Yosuga no Sora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but honestly what kind of man wouldn't be tempted if a beautiful girl tries to have sex with you?

A man who isn't so licentious as to fornicate with his sister.

Men are capable of self-control. You're pulling the old "asking for it" arguement.
Super Ninja

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
but honestly what kind of man wouldn't be tempted if a beautiful girl tries to have sex with you?

Men are capable of self-control. You're pulling the old "asking for it" arguement.

It's a cartoon. Why don't you get over it? And why aren't you complaining about all the horror movies with murder in them? All those innocent imaginary people being slaughtered, and you have nothing to say about it. I question your morals.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
From what I've heard, they were brought together at the age where the stepsiblings copout doesn't actually work. I guess it'd depend on how Japanese law views snogging between "merely" legal siblings, though.

If my memory is correct step-siblings, even if the parents later divorce, are treated the same as blood siblings when incest is the issue.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
My personal opinion on incest is that if it occurs between two consensual adults and stringent birth control measures are taken, it really isn't anyone's business to judge. While I would never partake in the act, it is my belief that in the next 40 years or so (after this homosexuality controversy is settled) this will be the next great battle of sexual rights.
Guess Justice Antonin Scalia was right.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
How can the Japanese accept this affront to freedom of speech? Whoever got it in their heads to pass this barbaric law needs to be shot!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
....I guess this means more 'Onii-chan you pervert~~~~' animes and mangas. Rolling Eyes

because we don't have enough of em already lol.

I like incest anime but its starting to get a bit old.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
The council concluded that the anime does not violate the ordinance's new standards

Well shit, then what the hell does?

Truly, much ado about nothing.

Back when the bill was getting passed and everyone was going insane, they actually listed examples of stuff that couldn't be sold to children and it was all pretty extreme like glorified rape of three year olds and things of that nature. Most people tended to overlook that so they could post about how this meant Haruhi would be blacklisted, the creator of Naruto would be publicly executed for the sexy jutsu, and other nonsense.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

It is fiction and how it is written/handled is what interest me. These type of situation would never work in real life no matter how artsy they portray them in fiction because that is the reailty of things. Writing up a good story and touching on issue that's taboo to me is something that needs to be done. YnS touched on the issue why can't siblings fall in love, why is it so wrong in the eyes of people type writing. It just wasn't fu**** for 12 straight epiosdes.

If you are morally offended by this then by all means be offended. I find some things morally offensive such a vore or guro or some of your hobbies. However I don't think it should be out right banned because of that. When you get on a high horse and start mocking people then will turn around and bite you in the a** for it, learn to pick your battles carefully bro or things will stretch out into 400 post threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Japan has been one of the safest places on Earth, so they must be doing something right! Right! Twisted Evil
(America, of all places with delinquent youths, shouldn't be imposing their methods that obviously don't work!)

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
licentious

I wonder if its even possible to use this word non-ironically and without coming off as a condescending jackass.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
No anime should be banned unless they are some kind of an evil propaganda of animal/human abuse. But there really aren't many truly vile hearted stuff in anime or even in manga anyway.

Also, sexuality in general should not be so reviled, period. That includes any and all fanservice anime. Exploring sexuality is so ridiculously benign that the outrage comes across as grossly disproportionate.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
The council concluded that the anime does not violate the ordinance's new standards

Back when the bill was getting passed and everyone was going insane, they actually listed examples of stuff that couldn't be sold to children and it was all pretty extreme like glorified rape of three year olds and things of that nature. Most people tended to overlook that so they could post about how this meant Haruhi would be blacklisted, the creator of Naruto would be publicly executed for the sexy jutsu, and other nonsense.

No, because first, any explicit or supposed extreme titles--those that are censored--would already be restricted and sold as adults only; and second, other things NOT extreme at all got affected:
- Oku-sama wa Shougakusei, a gag manga which is being republished on Ken Akamatsu's J-Comi
- Hanamizawa Q-taro Jisenshuu Hana-Hiyori
- Midori no Kisetsu
- Aki Sora

for non-negative portrayal of incest or consensual sex between high school students, or some like Oku-sama wa Shougakusei without any explicit sex

Where's the raping of 3-year olds? In fact none of the titles that have been affected so far by bill 156 have even remotely approached that.

They are basing their decisions of what to effectively remove form physical distribution, based purely on arbitrary subjective value judgements. In this case, unlike Aki Sora and Midori no Kisetsu, they thought the treatment of the subject matter of incest was sufficiently "negative" enough not to restrict Yosuga no Sora.

Again, the criteria as stated in the article is the arbitrary value judgement of the subject matter judged "to be excessively disrupting of social order."
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:

The overreaction does not mean the panel is not a hideous offense towards artistic freedom and expression.

If a manga or anime is truly offensive or off putting, the consumers will pass judgment with their money. It truly is one of the best self policed industries in the world as I see it. Hence all the panels are merely there to indulgently vent at stuff people as 'despicable' as otaku does or likes.

Reality of what the panel actually does, it is highly offensive that the panel exists at all. It represents misplaced social values by governments and the snide attitude of people who feel they need to establish dominance. Japanese government can start by not being so combative about World War 2 history and like how they covered up shady nuclear power practices, the heinous treatment of the homeless and foreign workers. But no, they must waste time on the most benign of issues.

Whew, sorry for the rant.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
How can the Japanese accept this affront to freedom of speech? Whoever got it in their heads to pass this barbaric law needs to be shot!

There's no such thing as free speech in this world as far as I'm concerned. If there was, then people would be expressing their opinions much more openly as there wouldn't be harm in doing so.

Quote:
....I guess this means more 'Onii-chan you pervert~~~~' animes and mangas.

because we don't have enough of em already lol.

I like incest anime but its starting to get a bit old.

There are only 5 "formal" incest anime titles (not including hentai): Aki Sora, Boku wa Imouto ni Koi o Suru, Yosuga no Sora, Koi Kaze, Tenshi Kinryouku, Kiss x Sis OVA (TV series is not real incest and more just flirty than anything else). If you really want to push it, Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka makes the list too. Note that 3 of the 5 (barring Akane-iro) were produced over the last four years: Kiss x Sis started in 2008 and is still going, Yosuga no Sora in 2010 and Aki Sora in 2009-2010. Koi Kaze in 2004 and Boku wa Imouto ni Koi o Suru in 2005. That's pretty sparse if you ask me. Stuff like Onii-chan no Koto and OreImo are not official until it actually happens. For all we know, Kirino and Kyousuke in OreImo may not actually be blood related.

As for the "Onii-chan you pervert" stereotype, I think the space has a little too much hate. Problem is most people started watching anime right when this began to take off and it's what most people have seen. You could very well have said the same thing about mech titles back in the early 90s. The industry has began to move out of that and from what I see, it's moving into a more slice-of-life/coming-of-age era, obviously with a few twists every now and then.
Action has died, Mecha and magical girls have flattened, moe and ecchi have also began to quiet down.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I find offensive about incest stories is that all of them sound like shite.

Marmalade Boy was the first manga / anime I saw that used it successfully and also the last manga / anime I saw that used it successfully.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16