• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Damnable Demagoguery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Past, I have to ask WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? If anything I have said implies homophobia in any way, I have to be told, because I was in no way going for anything negative. I used the word "flooded" because I was talking about a hypothetical situation where Yaoi was really popular. How you turned that into "You're a homophobe!" is beyond me.

Wow, your rage or whatever is extremely unfocused and misplaced.

Last edited by YotaruVegeta on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I think that if gay content sold in the US, we would be flooded with it. It doesn't matter who would scream homophobic statements about yaoi.

It just doesn't sell as much as cleavage and panty shots and all the hetero ecchi does.

If anyone wants yaoi to sell in the US, I guess you're going to have to turn all your friends on that stuff.
It's sound like you're saying "flooded with it" = going from 2 maybe 3 BL or yuri anime titles per year to 4 or 5 tops = anime is teh gay, ewww. ...

No, it sounds like saying if it sold in sufficient volume per title, then it would be raining BL, and complaints wouldn't have any impact on stemming the tide.

Just as if, it series with female characters with large bosoms sharing the apparent physical attributes of water balloons sold iin sufficient volume per title, then we would be flooded with it.

Obviously the volume per title required to increase the rate of production above what the Japanese market alone sustains would be a substantial step up from the volume required to get everything produced with an eye on the Japanese market ... but the same principle holds, its just a different amount of "enough" volume sales per title.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Umm "flooded" with it? Laughing
Umm "raining BL?" Rolling Eyes
These were words you two used
If they're not huge generalizations then they are, in this case, inappropriate figures of speech that allows for huge variations in how something you've said is interpreted. So maybe I erred the side of what YOU thought I was implying (that I suggested you were a homophobe), which I didn't Razz notice how I used the word "if" in every sentence except the first one in that post?

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Umm "flooded" with it? Laughing
Umm "raining BL?" Rolling Eyes
These were words you two used
If they're not huge generalizations then they are, in this case, inappropriate figures of speech that allows for huge variations in how something you've said is interpreted. ...

Or else its normal language to talk about markets. A market being "flooded with" some product means there's a lot of that product.

If someone said that an Android app market was "flooded with flashlight apps", how would you manage to take offense at that?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Or else its normal language to talk about markets. A market being "flooded with" some product means there's a lot of that product.

If someone said that an Android app market was "flooded with flashlight apps", how would you manage to take offense at that?
So sue me for not having a PhD in marketing and being painfully literal.
(actually I am).
Thanks for the clarification btw. Never heard of that actually.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
No one here has a PhD in marketing! "Flood the market" is a common term you might hear if you read or hear business news. I- i'm not getting your point about "flood" or "rain." I'm very, very sorry, but whatever you concocted in your head that we were saying has an anti-gay connotation.

I think agila61 clarified my point very well. I was making a hypothetical statement about how gay content would sell well if it was trendy in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9