• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Damnable Demagoguery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
From what I hear, the production committee that is trying to promote these properties typically will see far more of a boost to their series from 1 anime series than doing a 2nd one... so once you've got that one anime series out there, there isn't as much reason for them to foot the bill to get a 2nd, since most people who would be interested in it already know about it.

This is obviously something that doesn't help Westerners, since most of these series aren't even available to us, but thats how it is.

That reminds me of the dead-end OVAs from the early 90s: Bastard!!, AMG, Please Save My Earth, etc., where they could have and should have kept going with adapting material but always felt like animated advertisements for their manga instead. I suppose unless the anime does stellar numbers, what we have now is just another vestige of that old practice. I would have loved to see Arslan, Seven Cities Story, and the Weathering Continent continue on.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
My heart goes out to all the fujoshi who find that American companies turn their noses up at licensing their favorite titles. Yaoi is understandably not my thing, but that doesn't mean I like to see my fellow anime fans artificially marginalized by the American market.

All I can suggest is: yaoi fans, write to anime companies and tell them about the series you're interested in spending money on. Tell your friends to do it too. Anime licensing is a business, and money talks. If enough of you express an interest, they'll be looking into how you can be one of their customers.

It probably doesn't help that the one anime licenser that took yaoi seriously, MediaBlasters, is hovering in a place between life and death right now. A number of companies probably saw that and took it as a sign that yaoi isn't worth licensing. Then again, I'm not convinced that it was Media Blaster's titles that were the problem.

I think there is market for yaoi here in the states or boys only anime "daily lives of high school boys is licensed by nisa". However the main stigma comes on fear of homosexuals in this prudish country it's not worth the risk for many companies. We also have another social stigma where mainstream people think animation is for kids only, so it's a huge gamble for companies like funimation or sentai to bring them over. However I would love to see funimation pick up few of these titles just to give the middle finger to mainstream society way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
"Politically correct," is one of those phrases that tends to make me not take a person seriously, because it's the sort of phrase that's almost only used by people who are social advantaged and secure with dubious axes to grind against a delusional ideal of what it represents.

nursemcquade wrote:
French lesson of the day... Cour means court, like court of law. It can also refer to a courtyard or a garden. I think the word you're looking for is cours- meaning course or season.

An interesting error. I suppose that it might be a consequence of the word coming, in this context, by way of Japanese kūru, which gives no hint of what think might be a purely orthographic <s>. (I know very little about French) It might even be a sort of mistaken attempt at correction by people who have caught on that Japanese doesn't generally use marked plurals and assumed that the <s> was imposed to show the plural by English speakers. (Hence we see things like one cour and two cour, but rarely two cours) I have, of course, no idea if that's true, especially because the word crept in to Western anime fan usage during the six or seven years when I wasn't looking.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Since this is a topic near and dear to my heart, I just have to comment on the yaoi availability question and make two points.

First - you mention Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi not being available and no one wanting to take a risk on it, but what about Junjo Romantica? Based off of a manga by the same creator as Sekai Ichi, given two seasons of anime of its own, *and* both seasons were released on Region 1 by Right Stuf. And they sold fairly well from what I can tell.

That said, point #2 - it's not really accurate to compare Cat Planet Cuties and Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi (or Junjo for that matter) in terms of fanservice for their respective points. Sekai Ichi has *no* nudity scenes, no *attempted* nudity scenes, and the points when the characters do go off and get busy, it's done off screen. There is no equivalent of boob-flashing in Sekai Ichi, unless two grown men kissing and confessing their love to each other on numerous occasions counts as an equivalent. The same can be said for Junjo. Compared to the manga (which *is* quite graphic in its fanservice), the anime versions are *mild*.

I personally am in the corner of "less boobs, more tasteful romance stories", and I don't really care if they're heterosexual or homosexual. I'd love for more domestic releases along the lines of Gravitation or Junjo Romantica. And the market is out there. The market is *definitely* out there.
I was going to say something to this effect on both these points but Aynslesa said it for me. Anyway, I always thought the lack of licensed BL anime is a result of the lack of BL anime, period. Is there a stash I'm not seeing that is sitting unlicensed? All I can think of is Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi, and I sort of thought it was just a matter of time before it was picked up by RightStuf (who also released Junjou Romantica). After all, NISA has No.6, so... what else is there, anime-wise? (I'm not being snarky-- if I've overlooked a series I'd like to know).

Re: The phrase "politically correct": Seems to me to be most often used in the vicinity of an incredibly rude and/or thoughtless comment (see also, "I'm not racist/sexist/etc. but...").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to episode counts I;d have to agree with Titan XL that 24-26 episodes episodes is kinda the bare minimum to tell a decent story (provided said show is trying to tell a story and isn;t a harem or slice of life comedy in which case no specific episode count is really needed). While I have seen shows tell a pretty solid story in 12 episodes, it;s pretty rare that it happens, because the majority of that time has to be spent on plot and that can result in fumbles when it comes to writing characters and such. 26 episodes is usually enough time to flesh things out.

In my ideal world there would be more long running series, but I;ve kinda accepted that won;t happen for the adaptions of a lot of the manga I read. So long as it isn;t rushed to death I can live with it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Okay I just have to use this quote because its the only time I think I will be able to on this site. "Hello. We play to win the game!" - Herm Edwards.

How in the world could you take about the Race thing in the first questions and talk about , who the company thinks its audienece is. Then how can you do the same thing when talking about the episode counts especially in the posts, about how its target at certain groups and how its hard to sell x due to business reasons, business reason.

And then you are like, well we must appease the gay community, oh we do not cater to the game community, clearly there is homophobia at work. Hello. Hello. The anime community in the US is a fraction of the anime community in Japan despite a almost 3 to 1 difference in population. Then the gay community is an even smaller fraction of that. They gay community is very vocal and outspoken, but I imagine the amount of people who watch let alone buy anime is infinitesimal. Now I dont have the numbers on hand to back this up, but how can you sit there talk about business factors this and business factors that in regards to the other two topics and then throw it out the window for this one. The fact is alot of people spent 400 on garden of sinners, because they are more likely then not collectors. I honestly dont think that would happen with the Seki something show, which I unfortunately get confused with the entertaining Seitokai Yakumendo and Seitokai no Ichizon. It doesnt happen for the simple fact it makes no buisness sense.

And for the record, and now this is merely conjecture, I dont not think that BL is even that big with the gay community, with probably the biggest proponent being ironically straight females, or what the Japanese call Fujoshi (sp?), probably an even smaller group. So it not even like its an issue of offending the gay community as they are probably not even the biggest consumer of the product.

And homophobia, last time I checked there are BL publishers of manga, and they put out quite I lot given ANN announces some new acquisition once every few months to weeks. There are Yuri DVD companies, and plenty of Yuri or Shouji Ai esque stuff like Maria May watch over us, Kashimashi etc. then I can all but assure is not targeted at a bunch of horny guys.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are Yuri DVD companies, and plenty of Yuri or Shouji Ai esque stuff like Maria May watch over us, Kashimashi etc. then I can all but assure is not targeted at a bunch of horny guys.

You are highly delusional/in massive denial if you seriously believe that yuri isn't targeted towards horny guys.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
And for the record, and now this is merely conjecture, I don't not think that BL is even that big with the gay community, with probably the biggest proponent being ironically straight females, or what the Japanese call Fujoshi (sp?), probably an even smaller group. So it not even like its an issue of offending the gay community as they are probably not even the biggest consumer of the product.

And homophobia, last time I checked there are BL publishers of manga, and they put out quite I lot given ANN announces some new acquisition once every few months to weeks. There are Yuri DVD companies, and plenty of Yuri or Shouji Ai esque stuff like Maria May watch over us, Kashimashi etc. then I can all but assure is not targeted at a bunch of horny guys.

I don't think it's an issue of offending the gay community, but rather an issue of offending the straight community. It doesn't take a genius to look at the state of affairs in the USA right now and see there is a lot of hate towards gays. I think what Brian was saying is that perhaps companies are hesitant to license yaoi or BL because of the negative opinion of homosexuality in the USA. But you have a point, it hardly seems there's as much negative connotation towards female on female action.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
There are Yuri DVD companies, and plenty of Yuri or Shouji Ai esque stuff like Maria May watch over us, Kashimashi etc. then I can all but assure is not targeted at a bunch of horny guys.

You are highly delusional/in massive denial if you seriously believe that yuri isn't targeted towards horny guys.

Of course yuri is targeted towards horny guys and select few gals as well "i know some girls that love the stuff". The question comes into play do you personally get horny from the... yeah I am going to shut up now Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm leery of weighing in on the whole BL anime debate. But I don't think the reason that BL anime isn't licensed in North America has much to do with homophobia. More than likely, the market for BL anime is just too small to be profitable. I would be interested to see who well the few BL titles that have been licensed fair. But we need to remember that the point of a company licensing an anime is to make a profit from it. If previous BL anime have done poorly, that doesn't give companies incentive to license more. How many sports anime have bombed in the NA market? Lots. That is also why we don't see a lot of sports anime get licensed.

I'll also believe that fansubs and streaming hurt the BL market more than it they hurt the general anime market. The impression I get from most fujoshi is that they want their BL, and they don't care if they get it legally or not.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Would this be the point to mention that Yuri Hime and Tsubomi, the two major yuri manga mags, have majority female readership? Or would that screw up your narrative?

Not saying that yuri doesn't appeal to "horny boys", but using that to just dismiss the entire genre out of hand is ridiculous. Do you dismiss yaoi because it primarily (I don't know, actually, does it?) appeals to "horny girls"?

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
I'm leery of weighing in on the whole BL anime debate. But I don't think the reason that BL anime isn't licensed in North America has much to do with homophobia. More than likely, the market for BL anime is just too small to be profitable. I would be interested to see who well the few BL titles that have been licensed fair. But we need to remember that the point of a company licensing an anime is to make a profit from it. If previous BL anime have done poorly, that doesn't give companies incentive to license more. How many sports anime have bombed in the NA market? Lots. That is also why we don't see a lot of sports anime get licensed.

I'll also believe that fansubs and streaming hurt the BL market more than it they hurt the general anime market. The impression I get from most fujoshi is that they want their BL, and they don't care if they get it legally or not.

It's this way with most fans in any fan-base if there is no legal way to obtain the material they want. I play/read visual novels/eroge and most are not offered here unless it is via import or illegally. If the companies would offer more ways to accesses the material legally they could cut down on piracy and keep fans happy, DLsite is a great example of providing such a service.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
CatoriStar wrote:

I don't think it's an issue of offending the gay community, but rather an issue of offending the straight community. It doesn't take a genius to look at the state of affairs in the USA right now and see there is a lot of hate towards gays. I think what Brian was saying is that perhaps companies are hesitant to license yaoi or BL because of the negative opinion of homosexuality in the USA. But you have a point, it hardly seems there's as much negative connotation towards female on female action.

Personally, I'm not buying this. At a time where home video product and anime take up less space in B&M stores everywhere, is it really fair or appropriate or likely accurate to default to attributing a lack of yaoi cartoon stock to bigotry?! There isn't a more plausible explanation than this?

Occam's Razor. The truth is that it's a niche market. If a show like Gravitation had done good numbers and established demand, perhaps there could have been more material like that brought over. But people here seem to agree that hasn't been the case, not even during the market boom of the mid-00s. What does that say? That either there's a lack of demand in the R1 market or a lack of good anime like that for a R1 licensor to bring over, or a bit of both.

Now, for a fair target, there is the way BL manga have been given a hard time on digital platforms. At least the Kindle shop put the DMP material back, but it should never have been a problem for them to deal with in the first place. If anyone really wants to avoid the product then they can do so easily, particularly in online shopping. There's zero reason for any eShop to not carry that stuff aside cowardly concern over complaints from a relative minority of customers that are much too easily offended.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Personally, I'm not buying this. At a time where home video product and anime take up less space in B&M stores everywhere, is it really fair or appropriate or likely accurate to default to attributing a lack of yaoi cartoon stock to bigotry?!

Well, why did Viz edit out the Sai/Sasuke yaoi scene in the Naruto manga then. Obviously they were afraid people were going to complain that their flagship title had homosexual scenes in it. If companies have to 'play it safe' about the subject, then it's not going to yield a very good market.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, they cut that out entirely? Boo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9