• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Damnable Demagoguery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So.. 'white' is okay, but 'black' is not?

Just say black. African-American is a presumptuous term anyway, there are many black people in America whose ancestors are not African. Or if you prefer, everyone's from Africa anyway if you believe in evolution.

Some people strongly dislike the term black, although the term was invented by the civil rights movement as an alternative to "colored" and other, far worse terms. I've yet to meet anyone who has a problem with the term "white." I suppose I could have used the term "non-white" and avoided it, but isn't there something insulting in being defined as the opposite of the norm?

"Everyone is from Africa anyway" is silly and ignores that the problem isn't our origins, it's the last four hundred years of slavery and colonization that created these racial categories in the first place. Back in the time of ancient Rome, they didn't exist. Ethnicity, sure, but not "race."
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
WRT lack of licensing shounen-ai/yaoi/BL anime, I do wonder why there's a massive difference between the situation of manga and DVD/BD in the US. There's a relatively large amount of BL manga, most of it fanservice or ero oriented, courtesy of DMP and now Viz is getting into the game. It's interesting how Viz with their shounen staple, albeit a non-bishoujo, non-risque shounen staple, chose to target the fujoshi crowd first by moving into BL manga, rather than trying to expand on their existing male fanbase.

Previously for US anime, you had MB, but we can count them out for now and the only one left that's hardly active is RS/Nozomi
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Since that rape thing was brought:

I have a story about rape and anime. We played Detroit Metal City at an anime meeting once, one of the opening ones at the beginning of the semester where the room is packed, and we received some negative feedback from some members who thought the show vile by the antics and words that Krauser uses. The show overwhelmingly received a lot positive and encouraging response from most of the attendees, but the one or two contrasting comments stuck out and made the other officers and I ponder on the situation. Perhaps those who prefer to go to black metal concerts will expect the performers to degrade and berate the audience as that's the entire atmosphere of that sub-sect of musical culture, but this was obviously an anime club and this was anime that's not hentai or even remotely ecchi. I guess it's the first time I've come across responses aimed at that kind of anime, and we dealt with the situation by not playing future episodes. But DMC is a creative comedy work, and the entire stage play is just a facade to sell the band and tickets. Did anyone else find DMC insulting or offensive in that regard, or was it an overreaction?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Did anyone else find DMC insulting or offensive in that regard, or was it an overreaction?
Well, personally, hearing people talk about that aspect of the show made me uninterested in watching it. I'm not sure I'd call that being "offended," but I did steer clear as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Just say black. African-American is a presumptuous term anyway, there are many black people in America whose ancestors are not African. Or if you prefer, everyone's from Africa anyway if you believe in evolution.

It isn't political correctness, it's F&CKING BASIC MANNERS.

Spare me this Reddit crap, please. Good lord.

I know you were probably trying to come to the defense of the black community Zac, but in this rare instance I actually agree with TitanXL. Imo, it's not anymore rude to call a black person "black" than a white person "white." Using the term African American is being persumptuous because just because someone is black in America doesn't mean they are native to this country. My parents are African, and they'd be offended if someone called them African American. They're A-Ok with being called black. It's leaps in bounds over the way more offensive passe term "colored" (which despite its age I actually heard someone at my place of employment use this term to describe a woman) or even more derogatory terms like the n-word.

Not only that, but it's really bothersome to me personally when I have to watch uncomfortably as people trip all over themselves to be "politically correct." Just call me black damn it, it's what I am after alll. I don't need anyone asking me questions on whether it's "okay" to refer to me as African American or have to ask my permission when talking about other black peolple, I mean really? Rolling Eyes I honestly find people who try to hard to be "politically correct" to be more unintentionally rude than someone who's straight up with me and calls a spade a spade, or in this case a black person a black person.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
When it comes to producing/casting a film, with a specific setting and story, the appearance (as it relates to geographic ancestry) does matter. The difference -- as it's been pointed out -- is that Japan doesn't have a large foreign population, when compared to the Japanese population in total. And, even among the foreign populace, how many are non-East Asian (Korean and Chinese, specifically)? And among those, how many speak and read Japanese fluently enough for major roles in films with Western-esque settings? And, among those, how many are actors? By the time you meet that criteria, your pool has been sucked up by the massive demographic straw.

In the West (U.S. and Canada), which is like a rainbow, and everyone speaks English, you have no valid argument beyond inductive reasoning based on the same data that Brian was referring to: evidence showing that, historically, young, Caucasian males typically steer clear of movies they perceive as "ethnic", I guess is the word we'll this evening. But, movies are made to make a profit, in addition to entertain. So, しょうがない! And, in the case of anime, unless the setting is a real world location, and stated, you honestly can't distinguish race.

As for longer running series, that only really works in two types of anime; shonen, "tournament" shows with episode after episode of fights and arc after arc of new enemies arriving and being defeated after our heroes discover new powers (i.e. DBZ, YYH, Bleach, Naruto, etc). The other type of series being episodic, usually comedy based, slice of life shows (Sazae-san, Doraemon, Kochikame). Detective Conan is an exception to the comedy slice of life description, but it's pretty episodic, for the most part (granting the occasional two-part episode, which I love).

Cour-type shows are probably preferable to me, simply because they're typically higher in quality and cheaper to collect. Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I know you were probably trying to come to the defense of the black community Zac, but in this rare instance I actually agree with TitanXL. Imo, it's not anymore rude to call a black person "black" than a white person "white." Using the term African American is being persumptuous because just because someone is black in America doesn't mean they are native to this country. My parents are African, and they'd be offended if someone called them African American. They're A-Ok with being called black. It's leaps in bounds over the way more offensive passe term "colored" (which despite its age I actually heard someone at my place of employment use this term to describe a woman) or even more derogatory terms like the n-word.

Not only that, but it's really bothersome to me personally when I have to watch uncomfortably as people trip all over themselves to be "politically correct." Just call me black damn it, it's what I am after alll. I don't need anyone asking me questions on whether it's "okay" to refer to me as African American or have to ask my permission when talking about other black peolple, I mean really? Rolling Eyes I honestly find people who try to hard to be "politically correct" to be more unintentionally rude than someone who's straight up with me and calls a spade a spade, or in this case a black person a black person.

I'm not black but I'm inclined to agree.

There certainly are plenty of people who try to turn "political correctness" into a dirty word and certainly, more often than not, those people are actually just being obnoxious, insensitive douchebags. However, I also think there are absolutely instances where this is valid and where political correctness does go overboard.

I mean, I don't really see what is offensive about the term "black". I've yet to meet an actual black person who finds it offensive. So what is the point of demanding that people instead use a term like "African American"? It seems like precisely the kind of arbitrary, pointless correctness for correctness sake that can make political correctness a bad thing.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

It isn't political correctness, it's F&CKING BASIC MANNERS.

Spare me this Reddit crap, please. Good lord.

@TitanXL: There is more than one take on human evolution, we didn't all necessarily originate in Africa.

@Zac: Where I live, there are considerable numbers of Lebanese, Sudanese, Nigerians, and so on. There are also some melanin-tastic individuals from families with many generations behind them. I would call none of these people "African-American" or "African-Canadian" unless perhaps they referred to themselves in this way.

Part of this is just because I have little reason to; someone's ethnic identity is usually of little consequence in everyday interactions. But the other part hinges on being unwilling to make such assumptions. If I had to describe someone's appearance for some reason, I might posit them being African or specify black or dark skin; "black" might be a little too informal in some contexts, but it is not callous inasmuch as I am aware.

The experience that informs this attitude comes from a long history of being acknowledged as American outside of my home nation everywhere I have been. It's understandable and a mistake easily made by anyone, including other Canadians. Yet at the same time, I've developed an appreciation for the careful consideration on the part of people who will not jump to this conclusion. When you talk about basic manners, I think at least feigning an interest in someone's comfort is a good criterion to go by. Simply imitating others would seem contrary to anything I know about manners. All the same, if you're really sold on "African-American", maybe you could elaborate on that.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quick OT: Actually, we did all originate in Africa, as far as homo sapiens are concerned. There's a competing theory, but, as the great David Hume would say, it should be fed to the flames. All of the evidence, from the fossil record (anthropology) to Mitochondrial and Y-Chromosomal DNA (genetics), converges on the "Out of Africa" model, proving it. That's why there's an overwhelming consensus.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Quick OT: Actually, we did all originate in Africa, as far as homo sapiens are concerned. There's a competing theory, but, as the great David Hume would say, it should fed to the flames. All of the evidence, from the fossil record (anthropology) to Mitochondrial and Y-Chromosomal DNA (genetics), converges on the "Out of Africa" model, proving it. That's why there's an overwhelming consensus.

I think 100,000 years was quite a long time ago. Deep Southerns stopped considering themselves anything but ethnically American within only a few hundred years.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
@504NOSON2:

You don't just shotgun a handful of assertions with zero citation and end a dispute. In fact, you do the opposite of winning me over by being flippant; arrogantly presuming to make a quick correction when it is apparent the other party may not agree in the first place fits the definition of pompous and precludes any goodwill on my part.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@504NOSON2:

You don't just shotgun a handful of assertions with zero citation and end a dispute. In fact, you do the opposite of winning me over by being flippant; arrogantly presuming to make a quick correction when it is apparent the other party may not agree in the first place fits the definition of pompous and precludes any goodwill on my part.

And yet you neglect to make an actual argument for your position.

If you have evidence to dispute what 504 said, which is the current scientific consensus, then by all means, please share.

I'm sure its fascinating
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609:

It's almost as if I deliberately avoided commenting on the argument.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@504NOSON2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_diaspora
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Umn... is the land mass where currently accepted evolutionary theory states humanity originates from really that important? I mean, I'm not saying that history and science and stuff isn't important, but for this thread, I just don't think it's that relevant, even when considering the current discussion of the term "black" and whether it is politically correct and/or a good non-offensive word to describe someone with dark skin.

Regarding that discussion, I was of the impression that though the word black was generally not considered offensive in most cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9