• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals Kick Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I checked out Jmanga, and my experience went something like this:

Me: "Hmm, this manga looks interesting. I'll check out the free preview."

Four pages in: Jmanga: "To read the rest of the chapter, subscribe to our service for a monthly fee. That fee can be used as credits on the site. Each chapter of every manga on the site cost X credits (price depends on title). Don't have enough credits from your subscription fee for what you want to read? Just buy more credits! Or wait until we renew next months subscription payment on your credit card..."

Me: "This feels an awful lot like those online games that have kids pester their parents for money to move up levels..."

Edited to add: Most of the printed manga I read keep the original Japanese sfx in. Even SJA doesn't bother replace sfx. I don't really expect that level of localization from most titles. So the question is: how long does it take to translate a chapter of manga vs. an episode of anime? Even without sfx replacements and touch ups I imagine manga localization takes more work due to all the text.
ewsizemore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
Viz was doing okay with Rin-ne until the tsunami hit. That threw off everyone's schedule. Now that things are back to normal, there really isn't an incentive for Viz to do all that hard work. They had to kill themselves translating and touching up each weekly chapter. Most likely Takahashi is going to make changes to the art and the dialogue before that chapter gets collected in graphic novel format. So they will have to go back and re-translate and re-touch each chapter for their edition of the books. Since you're only paying for that content when the book is published they are only getting paid once for all that work.

Sig Ikki died the death of not enough eyes on the site to justify them maintaining it. The three or four series that generated real interested are being published. The rest will be go into license limbo.

Viz is also looking to streamline their internet presence. They are trying to concentrate all their online manga content to Vizmanga.com. Don't be surprised if sites like Sig Ikki, Shounen Sunday, Shojo Beat, etc simply become links to Viz Manga.

JManga is very much a work in progress. They know their previews suck and they have promised to correct that. Currently, they are working on a big site overhaul and getting tablet apps ready. They are also hinting that the books you buy might become downloadable. So all I can say is keep checking back with them. They are hitting all the major cons this summer so tell them what you want. I find they do a good job of listening to feedback.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I got chance to listen to this podcast, I must say this was interesting. the last part about getting kids to read book at libraries using manga. It's a good idea, and I like to add that libraries should add novels based on video game series like these for example:

This is the novel that got me back into reading books again. I read this last summer.

I have also read this, good novel.

There are other novels based on videogame:

I always thought both manga and novels based on video game could maybe help get kids (specifically middle school, high school kids) to read books. Manga are good and usefuls but I'm going to try maybe speak with few of my English professors and teachers and see if we can (well not make it part of the school curriculum) fascilitate kids and youths into reading books by using their favorite video games, if that kids' favorite video game has novel tie-in we can get the kid to read that novel hence could help give them desire to read more novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I've been primarily reading manga, comics, and graphic novels for the past few years, partially because my eye problems and unstable vision situation makes reading in general very difficult.

But as a kid I was drawn to libraries by series books like The Babysitter's Club, The Animorph series by K. A. Applegate, and other books that were far from "classic children's literature." Once I got into the libraries, however, I never got out Wink I'm pretty much a library addict now, and it's lead me to far more great things than I ever could have imagined.

Anything that gets kids to go to libraries on a regular basis is a great thing, IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5