• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I also don't get the thing where people say its funny and enjoyable to watch, yet give it low scores... the whole point of how good something is comes down to how much you enjoy watching it.

It's perfectly possible to realize that something's not good yet still enjoyable (to this day I wonder just what kept me from dropping strike witches).

What? That makes no sense. Why would I enjoy something I don't think is good?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Because it's possible that something has flaws yet you are able to overlook them whilst not denying them completely?
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Everyone tries to imagine that they have an objective side that likes "truly good" things and then they have things that are "guilty pleasures" which is this category of things they like but wouldn't really want to try to explain to others.

It's understandable but wrong, all likes/dislikes are subjective. Yes, there can be objectively measurable things that affect your likes/dislikes, but ultimately your evaluation of those things is based on your own subjective preferences. Those preferences may to some degree be shared with others, but whether they are or not doesn't make them any less important.

Last edited by Xanas on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Because it's possible that something has flaws yet you are able to overlook them whilst not denying them completely?

"Good" and "Bad" are subjective. Something I think is terrible (like Call of Duty) is considered "Good" by many other people... while I'd much rather play something like Atelier or Neptunia than CoD since I find them to a be better games.

Calling stuff you like "Bad" just because other people view them as such seems like a peer pressure thing to me. I only watch and play things I think are good, and I don't play and watch things I think aren't good.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the show is "bad" but I think that it is certainly more than the sum of its parts, which if you lay out and look at objectively, are pretty well...standard.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I don't think the show is "bad" but I think that it is certainly more than the sum of its parts, which if you lay out and look at objectively, are pretty well...standard.

Sorry to use a video game example again, but stuff like Skyrim and GTA would be bad if you look at it simply at the sum of its parts. They have bad to average gameplay, tons of glitches, mediocre graphics... but when you combine everything, they end up great. What matters is how it comes together, and Nyarko comes together very well and makes it a very good show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I also don't get the thing where people say its funny and enjoyable to watch, yet give it low scores... the whole point of how good something is comes down to how much you enjoy watching it.

Because this review isn't rating how enjoyable it is. Look at the parameters that are being measured. Story, Animation, Art, and Music are what the review is focused on, and in all honesty even as big fan of the show I don't think the story, animation, art, and music are anything special.

Now, when it comes to personal rating like here on ANN or on MAL then that is something that is just a measure of how much I enjoyed it, and Nyarlko will get a much better score from me there than it would from these objective points.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
This show isn't about the story, art, animation, or music. It is about the lunacy of it all! It makes fun of everything, itself included, as often as it can and with great relish.

I'm not sure complaining about it "lacking originality" is even a legitimate thing to comment on with Nyarko-san. After all, it isn't trying to be original, it is trying to poke fun at any and every anime or game cliche that there is out there! In its own way, Nyarko-san is pure genius. Frankly, the majority of Episode 7, where it seems that the show is seriously trying to actually make the romantic angle legit, was very disconcerting to me. That is the only time that I felt that the fact that they were "hitting all the flags", so to speak, for the beach/Oban festival story arc was just painting by numbers. There was precious little parody in the episode, especially after they started their date. My son tells me that the next episode cranks the crazy back up, so I have hopes that it was just a brief laps into sentimentality to make the fact that Mahiro and his mom put up with Nyarko-san and her friend's antics a bit more palatable.

In the long run, Nyarko-san's story, art, animation, and music don't matter in the least. (Though I am of the camp that doesn't think that the execution is lacking, and I don't have any problems with the character designs either. I think that Nyarko and Kuuko's character designs are fantastic, especially the "hair tentacle" on Nyarko! I love the way it makes little hearts and stuff like that! (And the emphasis on legs may be influencing my opinion, since I spent a good deal of my youth noticing legs more than other aspects of a girl's looks, though hips were also a major fetish of mine... The rest was just window dressing! A nice set of gams and shapely hips and I was a goner! Wink ) What matters is the ride, and it is one heck of a fun one!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Spot on. Sure, there's stupidly overused cliches everywhere. And yeah, the animation budget must have been pretty darn low.

But the tons of jokes and gags somehow make up for most of that. It's almost like the show is making fun of itself.

Great series to watch for some brainless fun.

Watch out! That almost sounds like an American sitcom! Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
This certainly isn't a show I would spend my money on as the rewatch value isn't very high, but it definitely generates a lot of laughs.
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

"Good" and "Bad" are subjective.

This is just your subjective opinion.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
I myself loved all the Kamen Rider references, being a huge Kamen Rider fan on top of being an Anime fan. Not something that you see often in an Anime.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

"Good" and "Bad" are subjective.

This is just your subjective opinion.

I see what you did there... Smile
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote
Nyarlko is one of my guilty pleasures this season: yeah, the "mysterious magic girlfriend who came from nowhere" has been overdone, but the creators know it, too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I think Carl Kimlinger needs to read up on what the term "execution" means. It's the great execution that makes this unoriginal show so gosh darn funny and watchable.

Is this show well made from a technical standpoint? Hell no.

Is this show original? Hell no.

Is this show fresh at all? Kind of, insofar as Kuko and Nyaruko are fresh twists on their character-types, and you rarely see shows cram so many blatant references into a single episode.

Is the show entertaining as heck? Hell yeah. It isn't funny enough to join my list of all-time favourite Anime Comedies, but nevertheless it's still a good watch every week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2