• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Almost 200

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I say your review for Night Shift Nurses was beyond brilliant! Laughing

Heck, most of your hentai reviews were hilarious.

That was amazing. I laughed so hard at that review. Priceless.

Also, I never liked Azumanga Diaoh... o_O I never understood why it was funny, it was basically watching my middle school years except, not.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I loved Samurai Champloo. I wish they could make a sequel that was just as good. But, it is fine the way it is.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves is clearly one of those shows that isn't for everybody, because it sure wasn't for me when I caught it on TV. While it might have meant to be funny, all the blood and gore that decorated this title just made it feel so depressingly morbid that bordered on tasteless, for me at least. Instead, I much prefer FLCL and Gurren Lagann, both brilliant series in their own ways.

The most brilliant series of all is Haibane Renme. I've yet to ever watch anything that tops this. I'm an Abe fan in general, so of course I also like Niea_7 and Lain.

Other titles I can think of include Ergo Proxy (which I loved for its atmosphere), Death Note, (I was most surprised at how much I ended up liking this), and Galaxy Angel (which does comedy better than most standard anime comedies I've looked at).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
NieA_7: hmm... I should check this one out. I've liked all of Yoshitoshi Abe's non-Lain work, so I'd bet I'd like it.

Junkers: I remember people making fun of it. I haven't got kids myself, so I've never seen it, but I'll keep it in mind.

Najica: no, you are not the only woman in the world who likes panty shot shows, but there aren't that many of you.

Initial D: not being a fan of car racing in real life, I long ago opted to give this one a pass.

Tokyo Godfathers: I love Satoshi Kon! This is one of the movie I have people watch as an introduction to anime, because it's very accessible to Western audiences. You don't really need to know much about Japanese culture to understand it, and it is based loosely off an American movie to begin with.

RuroKen: Ah, poor, RuroKen, the third season killed you! Once they got back from Kyoto and the filler began, fans stopped watching. They did, however, watch your OVAs; "Trust and Betrayal" is a positively fantastic piece of anime.

Azumanga Daioh: I like this series - in small doses. Otherwise I overdose on cuteness.

Memories: Magnetic Rose is beautiful and terrifying, Stink Bomb is absolutely hilarious, and Cannon Fodder is strange and thought-provoking. Most collections by different groups suffer from variability in quality. "Memories" does not.

GitS:SAC: I need to finally buy this series, the box sets are so cheap by now. I loved the second gig even more than the first.

Wolf's Rain: a lot of people were put off by the ending, but I loved this series, which I consider a brilliant little allegory on the meaning of life.

Dead Leaves: hmm... I remember seeing a trailer for this way back when and thinking I should see it. Now I think I'm going to.

Genshiken: I loved the manga.

Kodocha: Please license the second half!

Gankutsuou: by sheer coincidence I rewatched this series this weekend. It is, in my not so humble opinion, the greatest anime series created to date, hands down.

Fullmetal Alchemist: they're making a new anime! Yay! Woohoo! *dances around*

Eiken: I've seen this pop up in AMVs. I think it belong there, not in my DVD collection.

Samurai Champloo: while it's clearly cashing in on "Cowboy Bebop"'s popularity (a wise financial move for what was Manglobe's first series), "Champloo" managed to be good in its own right. I actually liked the ending to it better than "Bebop" (would it have killed you to give Julia and Vicious some character development?!?).

Of these, I own quite a few, or plan to buy just as soon as I get some money. Poor graduate student me! I burned out most of the money I allocated for anime during the GENEON panic, only to have Funimation buy the licenses and re-release them cheaper. Curses!

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Great trip with the wayback machine, Bamboo. Smile

Reading the review about GiTS reminds me why I need to rewatch that series. Whether it is the stand alone episodes or the greater storyline, it is a great show.

You also make some great arguments for other shows that I haven't seen and maybe need to look into. (e.g. Gankutsuou)

Nice to see a variety of show genres and tastes.

Already looking forward to next week....
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Lots of good shows mentioned like Wolf's Rain, Azumanga Daioh and Rurouni Kenshin. Some shows I wouldn't agree with like Samurai Champloo (I tried and tried to sit and watch but everything turned me off) and Full Metal Alchemist (The show just bored me) but nice to read some old reviews.

You should do a retro 80's self life. Unless you have and I can't remember. Next week, do a Perishable edition, you only included one this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo: Do you have any extra-special plans for next week's milestone column?

I loved Niea_7. It's very different from ABe's other series, but still very good and very well-done.
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Eureka 7 was one of those shows that I thought looked stupid a few years ago. I recently sat down and gave it a chance and it blew me away. I don't think i've ever watched so many episodes in such a short amount of time (2 nights blending together). Another kinda recent anime I am giving a chance is Witch Hunter Robin. Seems okay so far. And I have to give Wolf's Rain a chance since the reviewer mentions it.

I don't know why I hate on all of those (semi) old Cartoon Network shows, but I think its because I associate the channel with kid's stuff like Naruto (ghey). My new years resolution will be to watch those old shows without initial bias! Of course I fully intend to have biases good or bad once I do see them...
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
wow...i have all of the DVDs mentioned except Initial D and Junker...not a big fan of Initial D...character design seem so blah...and Junker seems so boring so i haven't even bothered with it...

i'm surprised there isn't a single "magical girl" series in there...

of course if you're talking about THE magical girl series, you HAVE to go with Card Captor Sakura....with design by Clamp, engaging storyline, wide variety of different powers, and coupled with strong characters, you can't go wrong with this series....although don't even TRY to watch the butchered Card Captors which TRIED in dubbing but it's been cut and reshuffled so much that it's not even same series...i would highly recommend to everyone who loves magical girl series...

also no mention of Neon Genesis Evangelion? one of the greatest mecha series ever....so much debate among what to make of the series, it's one of the most talked about series when it came along...i still watch the movies once in awhile and upcoming new remake coming to US, i'm sure this series will keep anime fans entertained for years to come...

of the newest series, i have to say The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is my favorite....with strong lead character, great storyline trying to figure out who Haruhi REALLY is and where Kyon fits into all the crazy plots, and also can't forget the music (God Knows from the school festival episode and Hare Hare Yukai from ending animation)...i absolutely loved the series....Bandai really did great job promoting the series and i was looking forward to each and every DVD release....Bandai was not one of my favorite company till Haruhi came along then came Lucky Star and became one of the top anime producer in US....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
wow...i have all of the DVDs mentioned except Initial D and Junker...not a big fan of Initial D...character design seem so blah...

I decided not to watch Initial D because of the live action movie since it sucked.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, trips down memory lane. Here we go.

Niea 7- Never seen or heard of it, but I do remember when Geneon was still Pioneer.

Najica Blitz Tactics- It comes with panites, nuff said.

Initial D- I never like tis series. I thought the art/character designs were horrible.

Tokyo Godfathers- Probably my favorite Satoshi Kon film.

Rurouni Kenshin- Its strange, I love Samurai X but I could never get into RK, despite my love for all things Samurai related. Must be because he renounced killing. Wuss.

Azu Manga Daioh- I have never figured out why so many people find this funny. I simply find it creepy.

GitS:SAC- I'm ashamed to say I only finally got this for Christmas. I love me some cyberpunk.

Wolf's Rain- Strange but compelling.

Genshiken- Its an anime about Otaku, what more do you need to know?

Gankustuo- The only thing better than this is the book its based on.

FMA- Still love it, can't wait for the new series.

Eiken- I refues to watch anything where what looks like a prepubescent girl has ridiculous boobs. The cover itself I find disturbing.

Samurai Champloo- Oh how I loved this, despite my hatred for hip-hop and rap. It worked in the context of the show

Congrats on (almost) making it to 200 columns Bamboo. Here for next 100.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I think, of all of those, Fullmetal Alchemist (which I just started rewatching this week) had the biggest impact on me, because at the time I was considering dropping out of anime for a while. Most of the programs I was watching at the time (of its original airing) were from the eighties and nineties and I'd been particularly disappointed about most of the recent ones. I hadn't seen anything particularly interesting since around 1999. I didn't think there was anything left that could be both high quality in production and in storytelling, but I was happily proven wrong with FMA. It allowed me to gain a second wind in my fandom. Now everything I watch these days has to be measured against it.

Whether that was for better or worse, I still haven't decided. It certainly didn't help my wallet.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations! Almost 200 and still going on strong!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I loved seeing shows like Neia_7, Gankutsuo, and Tokyo Godfathers get some props along with Azumanga Daioh and Genshiken.

I'm going to have to give Memories and Ghost in a Shell another chance. I didn't like Tweeny Witches at first, but gave it a second go after your reviews. Thank you for that!!! Now it's definitely one of my most, re-watched favorites!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun read through. It's deceptive how old some of these shows are now. Kenshin, FMA, Samurai Champloo, and GITS are all still so fresh in my memory. FMA was one of those rarities that pretty much everyone could enjoy, and I'm glad that my all time favorite made this list. Although I suspect that I'm less than thrilled for what I see as an unnecessary remake precisely because it's my favorite.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
heh, wayback machine indeed... I've long since given up watching it all... there is simply too much to see.

Personal favorite [not listed here] is likely to remain RahXephon ...

I have heard or seen many of the others... it's just that my "to watch" list is quite long, pages of recommendations. Occasionally I just find one thing that looks curious, do the research and watch whatever eps I can find on yourtube to see if it's worth persuing. And sometimes I just buy blindly if it's cheap. My successrate isn't that bad. But then I'm easy.

My recommendation for anything that might be a bit older is to check your local library system. I have found a couple of things to watch that way that I haven't gotten to yet - Gankustuo and Wolf's Rain. Nothin' beats watching something if full before you decide to spend a ton of cash on it...

Heh, eiken would be a fluffy guilty pleasure, only hampered by a whiny protagonist, and the fact it's an OVA with no particular place to go based on a lot of manga. Seems like women mainly hate it and guys are from amused to meh... it was worth the $5 I spent used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5