• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romanization of ふたり鷹 (Twin Hawks)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
After approving the manga original of Twin Hawks, I suddenly realized something was not right with the romanization "Futari Daka," as the second separate word (鷹) should not start with a voiced consonant; it should be either "Futaridaka" or "Futari Taka." I dug the history page of Japanese Wikipedia and found the entry was first spelled ふたりか but was changed to ふたりか on 2007-01-13 and stayed ever since.

Later, I found the "Super Visual Comics" edition of the manga with the romanization clearly printed on the cover, plus the romanized names of the two protagonists (both with given name "Taka," hence the title). Furthermore, it was not the first edition, thus all mistakes should have been fixed by then. Finding both the romaji and the katakana on the official Shogakukan catalog was the decisive blow.

On the other hand, I found it hard to believe that the majority of Japanese and Latin letter-based websites have kept the "error" for so long. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
After approving the manga original of Twin Hawks, I suddenly realized something was not right with the romanization "Futari Daka," as the second separate word (鷹) should not start with a voiced consonant; it should be either "Futaridaka" or "Futari Taka." I dug the history page of Japanese Wikipedia and found the entry was first spelled ふたりか but was changed to ふたりか on 2007-01-13 and stayed ever since.

Later, I found the "Super Visual Comics" edition of the manga with the romanization clearly printed on the cover, plus the romanized names of the two protagonists (both with given name "Taka," hence the title). Furthermore, it was not the first edition, thus all mistakes should have been fixed by then. Finding both the romaji and the katakana on the official Shogakukan catalog was the decisive blow.

On the other hand, I found it hard to believe that the majority of Japanese and Latin letter-based websites have kept the "error" for so long. Rolling Eyes

Just for your information.
The front cover of the MFR edition of 『ふたり鷹』 (2006, Media Factory) says, 'Futari Daka'.

The furigana added to the '鷹' part in the title in the Shōnen Sunday Comics edition of 『ふたり鷹』 (1982) are 'だか' (daka).
The front cover of the Scholar Manga Bunko editon of 『ふたり鷹』 (1995) says, 'Futari Daka'.

As to how Shintani Kaoru himself romanised 'ふたり鷹', he wrote it as 'Futaridaka' in the frontispiece of an MF Bunko volume of 『ふたり鷹』 (2000).

In cases of Japanese 'sequential voicing' like this, regarding the initial consonant of the non-initial portion of a compound, sometimes it is possible that some native users of Japanese pronounce it as a voiced consonant and others pronounce it as a voiceless sound.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Just for your information.
The front cover of the MFR edition of 『ふたり鷹』 (2006, Media Factory) says, 'Futari Daka'.

Yes, I was aware of that, but I chose the spelling from Shogakukan's Super Visual Comics edition (1990-1) over the newer MF Comics edition.

hyojodoji wrote:
The furigana added to the '鷹' part in the title in the Shōnen Sunday Comics edition of 『ふたり鷹』 (1982) are 'だか' (daka).
The front cover of the Scholar Manga Bunko editon of 『ふたり鷹』 (1995) says, 'Futari Daka'.

The furigana on the original Weekly Shōnen Sunday would be the best, but I couldn't find a proper picture.

hyojodoji wrote:
As to how Shintani Kaoru himself romanised 'ふたり鷹', he wrote it as 'Futaridaka' in the frontispiece of an MF Bunko volume of 『ふたり鷹』 (2000).

Could you be more specific on which volume? Thanks to eBookJapan, MF Bunko has preview pages free of charge. I just flipped through volume 1 but there was no furigana or romaji, just "Twin Hawks."

ADDENDUM: Found a fan site with lots of merchandise pictures. Most of them have "d" but some of them are in one word (Futaridaka) while others are in two words (Futari Daka). This is confusing and frustrating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Could you be more specific on which volume?

Oh, it is Volume 6 of the MF Bunko edition. See the letters written on the clapperboard in the frontispiece.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Oh, it is Volume 6 of the MF Bunko edition. See the letters written on the clapperboard in the frontispiece.

This one, right?

Since the romaji had been spelled by the mangaka himself, I'll make this one the main title, with notes of other possible official romaji spellings.

Thanks for all the help you've provided! Very Happy Users like you make this website a better and more informative place.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Thanks for all the help you've provided! Very Happy Users like you make this website a better and more informative place.

It's a pleasure. 不客氣. 如能對您有點用, 實爲榮幸. Smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/dormcat/anime/Futaridaka.jpg
Though the names written on a clapperboard are usually the director's and the director of photography's, Sawatari Hisako seems to be the assistant director and Sawatari Taka is the actor.
Perhaps that is a home movie of which staff is just those two persons? Anime smile

Quote:
Alternative title:
Futari Daka (Japanese)
Futaridaka (Japanese)
Futaritaka (Japanese)
ふたり鷹 (Japanese)
雙鷹騎士 (Chinese (Taiwan))

Comment:
Multiple official romanizations exist for the Japanese title ふたり鷹:
•Futaridaka in a frontispiece illustration
•Futari Daka on covers of 1995 Scholar Manga Bunko and 2006 Media Factory's MF Comics editions
•Futaritaka on covers of 1990 Shogakukan's Super Visual Comics edition

Thank you for having taken the trouble to add them to the encyclopaedia pages.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1