• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Sci Fi Channel to Run Rave Master Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Their choice of Rave Master is quite a surprise. I'd never have expected to see an ex-Toonami show turn up on Sci-Fi. Like the first poster said: What were they thinking (or drinking) when they bought into this?

Otherwise, their scheduling doesn't surprise. (^_*)

RM is a kids' show. They should air more adult anime in that block, since the block is on so late at night.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Someone please clarify something for me. The artist for Rave Master has a drawing style that echoes that of the One Piece series, but they're from different creators according to the database. What's the deal with that?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Someone please clarify something for me. The artist for Rave Master has a drawing style that echoes that of the One Piece series, but they're from different creators according to the database. What's the deal with that?

Looks like the guy who made Rave Master is the same guy who did Fairly Tale, which definitely has a similar style to One Piece. Now, that doesn't answer your question, but I think I've heard that both Oda (One Piece creator) and the guy who did Fairly Tale were once assistants to the same mangaka, and were both influenced by him.

I think. This is all second hand info that I only vaguely remember, so it might be wrong.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember this when it was on CN, I distinctly remember the blood was editied to be black, so hopefully this will be uncut.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kinda odd really. I wonder if it was contractual or someone at Sci-Fi has no idea what the show is about. I'd really prefer if they just kept showing older shows, OVAs, and movies, like they did back in the day. And for them to be repeating Gurren Lagann already either speaks of being out of other shows, or Bandai wants to sell more DVDs.

Oh, and I believe they're re-showing Macross Plus again tonight.

If you check the info,Macross Plus is a 4 part OVA so the're not reshowing it again.

ALso was kinda susprised.Though they would go straight into season 2 just like what AS did with code geass,and i'm kina interested.Maybe since it's on midnight,it'll mean that the series might be redubbed instead of showing the edited versions.Doesn't that make more sense.

Yah, but dubs cost money. Is Rave Master really worth the cost of dubbing again now?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
Ryusui wrote:
Let me say what's undoubtedly on everybody's minds right now:

WHAT. THE. HELL?!?

Lemme get this straight. They're taking off Gundam 00 after the first season to show Tokyopop's crappy hackjob dub of Groove Adventure Rave?!? What next? 4Kids' One Piece?
I suppose you've a better suggestion?
And you can't?! Hell, there were better things off of Toonami's own libary that would do well on AniMon.
I can but just one I would suggest Guyver the Bioboosted Armor
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'd love them to air Patlabor, that series has sounded interesting to me ever since it showed up in Buried Treasure, and it's an old CPM anime so they probably have the rights to it. (They have aired a bunch of former CPM properties before.)

Of course, there's the issue that Patlabor has a pretty horrible dub, but even more importantly, the dub isn't complete. So they'd have to show it subbed. Sci-Fi may have aired Blood: The Last Vampire, which is partially subbed, but I'm not sure they'd show an entire series subtitled.
wdwyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Oh, and I believe they're re-showing Macross Plus again tonight.

Looking ahead on my TiVo they are showing Macross Plus 2, 3 & 4 in the coming weeks.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with Rave Master on sci fi,If I remember correctly along time ago,Monster Rancher first premired on Sci fi on it's BKN block in the morning time slots back in the late 90's before eventually moving to Syndication and ABC/Fox Family.....so,I think it's nice Sci fi is showing a wide variety of Anime on they;re Ani-monday block,wheather it's edited ot uncut,because sci fi never specifically targed a certain audiance with a variety of anime,and who knows,maybe we'll get uncut Sailor moon on Sci fi,as for rave Master in general,it was never intended to be a kids Anime/Manga,the fact is,the Manga was good,it was actually more seriouse,the Anime version was toned down for a kid's level.
Neoguest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
What's the point of showing an edited dub?

Who say they they're airing the edited verison. It might be a uncut verison.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Neoguest wrote:
Crystal wrote:

There is no uncut English version.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Neoguest wrote:
Crystal wrote:

There is no uncut English version.

It doesn't really matter if its the orginial Japanese version or not since Rave Master ends in the middle of the story. Apparently they ran up to the end of the manga at the time it was being broadcast and just quit instead of doing filler episodes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Way to go Sci-fi, batting nothing as usual.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Way to go Sci-fi, batting nothing as usual.

Shh, they're batting OVER 9000!!! Especially with their horrible monster movies and such.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
I suppose you've a better suggestion?

I think Terra E, Planetes, Vandread, Kiddy Grade, Fantastic Children, or any number of other shows could have worked better.

almost all of those are licensed by other networks.
Really? I figured the FUNi shows (Vandread and Kiddy Grade) might be on the FUNi channel, but what channel has the Bandai shows?

Fantastic Children is on Anime Selects (on demand), Planetes is on Imaginasian, Vandread is Starz (unless they lost the rights)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6