• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Stratos Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
After watching 6 episodes of Princess Jellyfish I enjoyed it so much I ordered the BD from TRSI. As an old dude I really liked it early on, in spite of the gloomy overcast attitude 1 of the male ANN reviewers had toward watching it. The opener was spot on as uplifting musicals go and the production values, with a few exceptions, reek of quality and not crap.

I can truly identify with the train and/or streetcar otaku. An afficianado like her was the only type of people I could befriend as a teen in high school. It's a great hobby. It sent me all over the US and Canada in the mid to late '60's photographing the remaining PCC streetcars then operating. If ever there was heaven on earth in the late '60's on this North American continent it had to be Toronto. This urban dreamscape made me fantasize about dissing my country and becoming a Canadian. Man oh man, TTC (Toronto Transit Commission to all you folks from Rio Linda), what a magnificent well-maintained transit sytem! Light years ahead of US's PCC stronghold Pittsburgh (PA) which was hemorrhaging red ink and looking to reinvent and dieselize itself into modernity. Good times. then.

The ending credits almost hint that more material could lead to a second season though no mention of it exists. Kudos to the 2 female writers visited in the extras section. From watching the series it is easy to see they are truly gifted cracking the funny bones.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get into IS when it was simulcasting. However, I enjoyed watching it dubbed. The accents weren't really great, but I liked them, and they suited the show. I'm always bothered by "international casts" that all speak one language and have no accents, so that they even tried to make it more authentic was a plus for me.

I have to agree that the bluray looks amazing. It's one of the cleanest in my collection, and the soundtrack was a nice added touch. I've heard it's sold well for Sentai, so I'm hoping we'll see more series released with added features from them in the future.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I don't get why IS is not perishable. Oh well. I'm sure a certain someone would have more to say on the subject, though.

I'm not sure who you're talking about... but this release of IS isn't perishable. It has BD's, a dub, a soundtrack, and Japanese extras. There's not much more you could ask for (except keychains or a chipboard box). If it came on a shitty spindle pack with no dub it might have fallen into Perishable.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Princess Jellyfish is indeed a Shelf Worthy show. But so are a decent amount of the shows from the Noitamina block. (Still PO'd that Tatami Galaxy has yet to get a stateside release, that one was my favorite. Crying or Very sad )

I didn't look at a list of Noitamina titles until recently, and I was surprised that it was basically a list of just about every anime series worth watching from the last seven years or so.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How is it that even the A and B plots of a single episode of Adventure Time seem to have more weight than this show?

I...cannot begin to comprehend even thinking how in the world you could compare that awful show to Tales of the Abyss. O_o

Sheleigha wrote:
I think it's kind of funny with everyone saying that Tales of the Abyss is "TOO close" an adaptation. I'm so used to people complaining about adaptations because of how much different/slightly different they are...

I know, right? All I ever saw before about video game adaptations were the "they didn't do a single thing right" responses. I personally think Abyss was great because it didn't stray from the original source material and kept the plot focused on its goal (only one major encounter was changed). It was a good example of doing a video game adaptation the right way.

Erin, I'm just speaking neutrally here but I'd recommend either playing the game or at least watching some of the plot-relevant scenes to see why the story flows the way it does.

Hint: Abyss is rebuked by today's gamers who played it fully years ago that its pacing changes speeds throughout the story (good start, quicker initial plot points, slowed down in the middle, picks up steam again, finale).

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish is shelf worthy, and all is right with the world. But Erin, how can you not love Josh Grelle's performance? I thought he was perfect as Kuranosuke. Although, I never watched the subbed version, so my opinion is more than a little skewed. Wink
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
The Right Stuf sent me a disc of Dirty Pair features, so that's what's up next.

I guess you'll be going over each of them briefly in one of three segments, but they all need their own separate assessments for the normal review column as they're separate stories that all came out years apart.

They sent them as one set, so I'm gonna review it as a single release.

I'm sure lots of people (smarter than me) must've written about those OVAs and movies over the years, in longer, more elegant articles, too.

belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
How is it that even the A and B plots of a single episode of Adventure Time seem to have more weight than this show?

I...cannot begin to comprehend even thinking how in the world you could compare that awful show to Tales of the Abyss. O_o

I love Adventure Time.

belvadeer wrote:
Erin, I'm just speaking neutrally here but I'd recommend either playing the game or at least watching some of the plot-relevant scenes to see why the story flows the way it does.

I'm not sure I own a system I could play it on... but anyway, I think cross media adaptations should be able to stand on their own as a minimum.

daveriley wrote:
The statement of "guys can't get this show" seems, I don't know... it's not the right way of putting it. People put a heavier emphasis on gendered stuff, especially with regards to anime and shoujo and shonen and seinen, than is necessarily true or practical. For example, Erin, you are down with stuff like Golgo 13 and Naruto. Should we say that a woman in her thirties cannot 'get' a show made for men in their thirties? Or cannot 'get' a show made for eight year old boys?

I certainly watch a lot of anime every week made for guys in their 20s or 30s that I 'get' but don't like. That said, certainly part of the fun of being an anime fan is consuming media for which I was never the target demographic.

daveriley wrote:
I don't think there's anything at its core that makes Princess Jellyfish more explicitly female than anything else. Feeling ostracized or awkward is pretty universal, even if the specific scenes of "beauty make-over party!" are less so. Saying "this is not for [YOUR GENDER]" is more dismissive than it is explanatory, even if it you don't mean it that way. Isn't one of the great parts about art that it crosses those sorts of boundaries? Or will I not feel sad, or not "get it", when I watch Tracy Jordan in Hard to Watch because I have never been an inner-city black youth who carries around a football with a hole in it?

To be certain, Noah also greatly enjoyed Princess Jellyfish and shares your gender-neutral reading of it. My comments were mostly in direct response to Zac's take on the show in a now-long-past ANNCast. Specifically (and I probably should've looked this up before writing the column but thought it would be harder to find) we're talking this episode, his discussion begins at 30:17.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
I don't get why IS is not perishable. Oh well. I'm sure a certain someone would have more to say on the subject, though.

I'm not sure who you're talking about... but this release of IS isn't perishable. It has BD's, a dub, a soundtrack, and Japanese extras. There's not much more you could ask for (except keychains or a chipboard box). If it came on a shitty spindle pack with no dub it might have fallen into Perishable.

That reminds me of lucky-star anime classic packaging from bandai I got two years ago. 6 disc lovely crammed into a single dvd case is horrible packaging under any means for collectors like me. Here take a look for example.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showphoto?id=4309198263

On the shelf life it's self.. hmm a pretty good week so far it seems I can not wait to see your review of ano-hana when it comes out next month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I initially did a double-take at the top of the article when I saw Infinite Stratos under Rental-worthy, but as I read on, a great case was made for it. Certainly, Sentai packed a lot of content in, and the kinds of things that got included would be nice to see in more releases.

Regarding the series itself, though, I don't think there's ever been another show that's left me so cold. It certainly isn't as creepy as I found things like Heaven's Lost Property and Cat Planet Cuties, but I just couldn't find enough strengths in it either, leaving me with a far too bland taste. It certainly is very impressive visually, and I do like the character designs. I just wish it aspired to be more than typical harem fare, because there's a lot about it that makes me want to like it.

Unfortunately I couldn't listen to more than ten minutes of the dub before wanting to scratch out my ears, but perhaps choosing the scene introducing Charspoiler[lotte] as a sample was a bad idea.
opn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
@erin the original game was on a PS2 and a port of it which fixed its glitches and slow loading time was released on the 3DS. Unlike the anime the game has a english dub and it is very good with alot of big names like yuri lowenthal and JYB. Smile its defenitly worth owning if you have a PS2 or 3DS and your in the mood for a good action RPG.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well speaking as a guy, I absolutely loved Princess Jellyfish, to be honest it had me by the Singin in the Rain reference in the opening titles but I enjoyed the whole series.

I'm holding out hope for a continuation - after all, if they can make a new series of Moyashimon and a film spinoff of Library Wars, then anything can happen!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
If you ignore how brainbustingly, moronically, PANTS ON HEAD IDIOTIC the plot around their existence in the show, Charlotte is, in fact, the only redeeming character in Infinite Stratos.
opn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
If you ignore how brainbustingly, moronically, PANTS ON HEAD IDIOTIC the plot around their existence in the show, Charlotte is, in fact, the only redeeming character in Infinite Stratos.

i found the show to be fun really stupid but fun and yeah char is without a doubt the best character in the show.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Erin clearly fails at understanding Infinite Stratos because she can't relate to the male perspective. We are all about feeding things like fish. Try taking a guy to an aquarium some time; it'll get him more excited than a strip club!

And your review of the English dub fails for not taking it to task for not giving Ling a stereotypical accent that would make her sound adorably mentally disabled.

And why not restrict powerful, game-changing weapons to sporting contests. Would you really want to live in a world where atomic bombs were used for anything besides glow-tennis?

I have a copy of Princess Jellyfish on hand since it was released (well, actually my copy came a day before the official release date; very cheeky of you, Shawn Kleckner), but I haven't watched it. A bit part of this is that I keep pushing it to the bottom of the queue, because it's one of the things I look forward too most. I just have this feeling that after I've watched it, I'll be glad that I did, but regret that there isn't more. I am a man, penis, beard, low hip-to-waist ratio and all, but somehow I expect to be able to relate to the characters; not as viscerally as Erin, but relate all the same.

Christopher Bevins said at Katsucon that the Japanese producers were waiting to see how well it was received in the United States before considering making a second season. Considering that the days when American sales were influential are pretty long gone and that Adam Sheehan and Lance Heiskell reported on a recent ANNCast that Princess Jellyfish was 'meeting expectations', I don't consider that likely. A nice idea, but not the sort of thing that would really happen.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

No, this is a standard harem comedy

Yup...that explains IS. If you enjoy harem comedy, you should be able to enjoy this show. If you came in looking for mecha musume, be prepared to be disappointed. I have to agree it does look nice.

Quote:
I'm starting to suspect there's a broadcast bylaw that 80% of all anime must include a childhood friend.

spoiler[What's even crazier is that the show contains two childhood friends.]

Anyways, I enjoyed the show. The harem comedy kept me interested and entertained. My only gripe was Huang Lingyin. One of the better designed characters was degraded to one of the three stooges throughout the show.

Surrender Artist wrote:

And your review of the English dub fails for not taking it to task for not giving Ling a stereotypical accent that would make her sound adorably mentally disabled.

I remember asking about that elsewhere and found it really silly that she was the only character not given an accent. Either you give give accents to all the foreign characters or none at all. Unless, it was written that she spent a significant amount of time in Canada or the US before going to the school, but I don't think that happened.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
That reminds me of lucky-star anime classic packaging from bandai I got two years ago. 6 disc lovely crammed into a single dvd case is horrible packaging under any means for collectors like me. Here take a look for example.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showphoto?id=4309198263

The worst packaging I've ever seen was the Moribito spindle pack marketed at Walmart. As soon as I opened the box, the cheap plastic casing cracked up the spine in two places, which also tore the paper insert.

Surrender Artist wrote:
And why not restrict powerful, game-changing weapons to sporting contests. Would you really want to live in a world where atomic bombs were used for anything besides glow-tennis?

Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5