• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakugan Nominated for Toy Franchise, Boy Toy of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Here's a question, though: why do they say it's Cartoon Network's franchise, when it's owned by Nelvana? Confused Bakugan got its North American start in Canada, as well.

Cartoon Network has the merchandising rights to the show.

In the United States.

Nelvana sold off the rights to Warner in the US.

AFAIK Nelvana still retains the worldwide rights to Bakugan's anime, and anime related merchandising. Spin Master takes care of the game.

Ahh, so that's the case. Thanks.

Primus wrote:

Also Buster- It became the new Beyblade because of Nelvana. When someone gives their stuff a shot in the US, it tends to do well. DI Gata hasn't gotten that shot with 4Kids yet though...

It sure seems that way.

I'd think that Di Gata Defenders would do relatively well in the USA too, but yeah, it seems like 4Kids didn't do it justice.

On another note, I also have to say that Bakugan definitely has one of the better dubs, which doesn't even seem to matter at the moment, given how some kids are supposedly not even following the anime yet buying the toys.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I've been telling people that too since I noticed that the kids don't even know what's happening with the show, so who cares how it's badly dubbed. And the toys and the game seem girl-friendly, unlike card-based games.

You're implying that children's card games aren't female-centric? What a shocking revelation.

I don't see many young girls play Yugi-Oh, for instance. The monsters are probably too scary or too sexist for them (i.e. they're not attracted to the sexy female charas). Laughing

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

But yeah, now all we need is a line of Bakugan blow-up dolls -- there you'd have your real boy "toys". Laughing

At least those are not like this guy. Laughing

Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Primus wrote:

Also Buster- It became the new Beyblade because of Nelvana. When someone gives their stuff a shot in the US, it tends to do well. DI Gata hasn't gotten that shot with 4Kids yet though...

It sure seems that way.

I'd think that Di Gata Defenders would do relatively well in the USA too, but yeah, it seems like 4Kids didn't do it justice.

As illustrated by Bakugan right here, a show doesn't even need to be watched for its toys to be a hit. Just need a cool concept outside of the context of the show.

Buster Blader 126 wrote:

On another note, I also have to say that Bakugan definitely has one of the better dubs,

Ah! Ya gotta be kidding! Its dub is even less tolerable than the new Yugi-Oh's! Laughing
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you can ever call the Bakugan's English version a dub. Someone from New York pitched the idea of the toys to Spin Masters, they picked it up seeing potential, got SEGA Toys to handle Asian distribution, and along with SEGA Toys, got Nelvana, TMS and Japan-Vistec to create an Anime series. The show was always very much a co-production, another Canada-Japan love child. But the only one to succeed I suspose.

IIRC, the show averages around 500,000 viewers on CN durring their premiere episodes. Pretty good. And obviously someone is watching it for it to get a movie, and another season.

But gosh, 2010 can't come soon enough, I want Ginga and Metal Fight Beyblade already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2