• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New DVD Company to Release 8 of the Earliest Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is really cool. I like this kind of stuff.
Ramune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I never thought we would actually get something like this, but thanks Zakka Films for making this even remotely possible!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Awesome- I'll need to bookmark filmbaby.com so I can pick this up come payday.

Wasn't there a boxset of classic black-and-white anime released a few years ago? I remember having a link to one, something in the 100-200 dollar range. I didn't save it though, and I haven't been able to find it again.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I usually only go for stuff with a dub, but I might have to break my rule because this seems like a really good history lesson for someone like me who's never given a thought to very old-school anime beyond things like Astro Boy, Cyborg 009, and the like. I'm really quite intrigued, and this feels like a lost treasure that's been dusted off for people with an interest in this stuff to enjoy.

Looking at those films, I doubt most modern fanboys/girls realize how much early anime owed to Disney and Warner Bros.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Yes, such masterpieces as "Fist of the North Star" TV series totally overshadow lame recent entries as "Gankutsuou"... Rolling Eyes I know, there was some great stuff produced then and a lot of crap produced now, but there's a lot of great stuff now, and a lot of crap produced then. I'm sick of the nostalgia-whining.

Yes, a lot of the 80's series were better than tripe like Trigun...

It was also nice when people used their real names instead of hiding behind FICTIONAL character names.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
But Hokuto no Ken really was tripe. It embodied everything that was poor, laughable, cheesy, badly-executed, excessively violent and mindless, and just plain horrid about the majority of '80s series. I've only seen the FotNS movie, and that was enough to convince me that it was a forgettable, excessive piece of trash that should have been buried long ago.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Yes, such masterpieces as "Fist of the North Star" TV series totally overshadow lame recent entries as "Gankutsuou"... Rolling Eyes I know, there was some great stuff produced then and a lot of crap produced now, but there's a lot of great stuff now, and a lot of crap produced then. I'm sick of the nostalgia-whining.

It was also nice when people used their real names instead of hiding behind FICTIONAL character names.

Umn... you're free to disagree with him about what the best era of anime is, but your comment on his username seemed a bit pointless. So what if he didn't use his real name?

Will you ignore this post, or imply that I am a coward, because *gasp* I have a username that obviously isn't my real name?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Oh, I won't deny Trigun has its flaws. You notice I don't offer it as my counter to 80s anime. It just happens to be one of the earliest series I watched, and I loved the character of Vash (my first crush on an anime character...Embarassed ), and ever since Vashfanatic has been my online persona. I don't go by my real name because 1) I don't like my real name, 2) on the internet I don't have to, it's not like you'll ever meet me in real life, and 3) I avoid the different treatment that women receive on forums if people don't immediately know I'm female.

Seriously, I understand that there's a whole lot of crap on the market nowadays, but there was a LOT of crap back in the 80s, too. It's just that the passage of time can make us forget, and the glaring present can seem overwhelming.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Awesome- I'll need to bookmark filmbaby.com so I can pick this up come payday.

Wasn't there a boxset of classic black-and-white anime released a few years ago? I remember having a link to one, something in the 100-200 dollar range. I didn't save it though, and I haven't been able to find it again.

Here you go. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
It's very historical and all, but I wouldn't think it would have much value to me. I mean, I wouldn't purchase the very first Mickey or Bugs Bunny cartoons, because to be honest, I've seen them, and they're awful. I'd watch these once, then forget about them. It seems to me that it took until the late sixties until Japanese animation was even tolerable, but not being Japanese, or from that era, I can only go by what I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Gonna be a hard sell for sure for most people, but I might get it.

People today are so generally ignorant of history and basically don't want to see much made "before their time."

Sad really.

Quote:
Some of the best films ever made are from the 1930s and 1940s! I'd argue you can't find finer animation that what was made in the US in the 1940s!

Nope, not at all. The stuff people watch today is s__t in my book!

Quote:
(Japan's Golden Age of Animation, by contrast, was in the 1980s. That was a more fruitful and blooming wellspring of ideas and grand epics from Japan than what we've seen the past twenty years.

I feel that way too.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the sheer ignorance of people and their unwillingness to seek out these films -- in addition their mass unavailability in Japan and the US(!) -- is a big block to getting more to appreciate what was produced in that era and what has endured since then.)

This is seriously important.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's very historical and all, but I wouldn't think it would have much value to me. I mean, I wouldn't purchase the very first Mickey or Bugs Bunny cartoons, because to be honest, I've seen them, and they're awful. I'd watch these once, then forget about them. It seems to me that it took until the late sixties until Japanese animation was even tolerable, but not being Japanese, or from that era, I can only go by what I've seen.

Again, this is not nearly for everyone, but some of us 'historians' may want it or that purpose.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Gonna be a hard sell for sure for most people, but I might get it.

People today are so generally ignorant of history and basically don't want to see much made "before their time."

Some of the best films ever made are from the 1930s and 1940s! I'd argue you can't find finer animation that what was made in the US in the 1940s!

Now, if we can just get the banned cartoons (e.g. Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips, etc.) on DVD, we'll be all set! Laughing

penguintruth wrote:
It's very historical and all, but I wouldn't think it would have much value to me. I mean, I wouldn't purchase the very first Mickey or Bugs Bunny cartoons, because to be honest, I've seen them, and they're awful. I'd watch these once, then forget about them.

Some would consider the early Bugs Bunny tunes to be the best. Laughing
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Having checked the list of titles on the disc... it's a little disappointing, mostly because most of them were already included on the "Anime Classic Collection" issued by Digital Meme two years ago. It's a shame no animated films from the mid-1920s are included - some are available, I have seen them on a DVD anthology in Japan (which is sadly no longer in print - with used copies selling for around 3000$!).
Still, "Momotaro Eagle of the Sea" is worth the disc price alone. A real masterpiece. Here's hoping the the following Momotaro feature by the same director, "Momotaro Umi no Shinpei" will also get an English-subtitled release (in terms of script, it's actually weaker than "Eagle of the Sea"... but still delivers a very interesting viewing experience).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...Japanese war propaganda anime for sale in the U.S.?

This may be worth looking into. Smile

vashfanatic wrote:
The propaganda piece interests me, as one of the odder VHS purchases my father ever made was of classic Looney Tunes from the 40s, one bit of which featured Daffy Duck taking out Hitler. I'm trying to imagine the Powerpuff Girls beating up Saddam Hussein, and it's making me laugh.

I know it would've been impossible but I would've loved it if Osamu Tezuka had made a cartoon showing Astro Boy beating up Hitler. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3