• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Square Enix Demos Real-Time Rendering with Final Fantasy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Just a tech demo but no announcements -_-
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I saw Middle-eastern peoples, and then I saw a Western guy speaking English, and then suddenly PRETTY GIRL FACE and I was like, "WUT."

Seriously, though. If they can do this on the Next Gen system, I see a lot of potential for gaming in general. Not sure if I can judge future games on Square Enix graphic standards, though. Anime hyper

As for my view on Square Enix, I have enjoyed FFXIII (so far--I'm on chapter 10 and I suck at RPG's in general) and I like their cut-scene driven experiences, even if some hesitate to call them "games." I don't restrict games to just being about gameplay, so it doesn't bother me all that much. Though it would be nice to get something that incorporates thrilling gameplay into the cut-scenes to drive the excitement. =P
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm still playing FF XIII, I had a very very very long diversion but I'm at Orphan's Cradle or whatever so I think I"m fairly close to beating it years late...

I just don't play console games often. I'm more of a PC gamer and I wanted to finish Agarest Zero before starting up on this again. After I'm done with that I'll be trying to finish Vesperia from where I was at 50 hours into it (seemed not too far from ending).
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
j Talbain wrote:
I just hope that Square Enix actually makes this into a game and not let it die as a tech demo.

It's going to die as a tech demo. I can't read Japanese, and it appears the newsroom had nothing to go on, but what's clearly missing here is how the rendering was done.

The PS3 and 360 don't have the processing power to render something like this, and I'm very skeptical it was done on an "over-the-counter" computer system.

If I were to guess, this video was rendered on one of SE's multi-million dollar computer systems, and exported as a video.

The fact we can only see this rendering in video format leaves me to believe this.

This new engine (Luminous Studio engine) is meant for next generation Consoles, PC's, Web and mobile phone applications. They hope to get games looking this good and it will be achievable on the next gen consoles. Take a look at 3eyond for the PS3. One of the most beautiful games I've ever seen and it's running real time.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Great. Apparently, no longer satisfied with announcing games and then never releasing them, SquareEnix has decided to just cut right to the chase and show fans amazing, mouth watering trailers for games that do not exist. Laughing

I think they learned from making their Final Fantasy VII tech demo while continuing to this day to deny they're doing a remake. Better to make a demo for something they'll never make.

decepticons2 wrote:
1)Nice a fancy video
2)No actual story
3)No actual Gameplay

They might as well have rendered 7 or KH for all this is. Its a movie trailer with no movie. I am not sure if I am in the minority or not, but SE seems to have lost there story telling touch.

Er, but that's what a tech demo is, a demonstration of the technology, not a demonstration of a new game or anything they intend to build off of.

Really, the demo blew me away, but I knew from the start it wasn't something they'd make into a game. Tech demos aren't about game play, they're about graphics.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime10121

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Great. Apparently, no longer satisfied with announcing games and then never releasing them, SquareEnix has decided to just cut right to the chase and show fans amazing, mouth watering trailers for games that do not exist. Laughing

I think they learned from making their Final Fantasy VII tech demo while continuing to this day to deny they're doing a remake. Better to make a demo for something they'll never make.

decepticons2 wrote:
1)Nice a fancy video
2)No actual story
3)No actual Gameplay

They might as well have rendered 7 or KH for all this is. Its a movie trailer with no movie. I am not sure if I am in the minority or not, but SE seems to have lost there story telling touch.

Er, but that's what a tech demo is, a demonstration of the technology, not a demonstration of a new game or anything they intend to build off of.

Really, the demo blew me away, but I knew from the start it wasn't something they'd make into a game. Tech demos aren't about game play, they're about graphics.

Emerje

If only more people realized this, we wouldnt have people to this day clamoring about a FFVII remake. How uninformed the majority of the mass is (when talking about things without doing ANY kind of research on the topic), is quite frightening.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, real time rendering like that requires a massive cpu and gpu multiprocessing that is not available in the consumer market of today. Check back in 5 years, maybe more. I suspect this was done on a huge blade server in some datacenter that SE operates.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
^Especially since the FFVII tech demo wasn't even the first time S-E did such a thing.

They also did an FF6 test demo for the N64

...as well as one involving the FF8 dance scene for the PS2
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
It's using DirectX 11. And at the interview at Shacknews indicates it's not targeting any particular hardware but he's not worried about next gen console so much (likely a hint). Given that it's running DX11 and is developed on PC and therefore has to run on current GPUs (albeit very high end ones, maybe SLI/Xfire?) I have no doubt about current consumer PC tech being able to handle it, likewise with next gen console perhaps with details dialed down.

If you've seen other demos for Nvidia and AMD GPUs some of which you can also download and run yourself, it shouldn't be too surprising.

Andriasang has pics of manipulating the chars in real time in the development software
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

You have to admit though, something has gone horribly wrong when the demo looks way more interesting than the games you're actually making.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lots of devs have been teasing us with games this E3 on high end PCs and playing coy about what platforms they're coming out on.

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs looks great and considering it's open world like Grand Theft Auto, it's downright amazing. They have said it will come to 360/PS3, but given they are also specifying 'multiple platforms' in an interview and that the gmae will be in development a good while longer, it's likely for neXtbox and PS4 as well.

Same with the Star Wars 1313 game and its amazing visuals.

Epic is also debuting UnReal Engine 4 for high-end PCs/next-gen consoles tomorrow.

With Square Enix showing this and Hideo Kojima still being coy about showing off what his FOX Engine can do, all signs are pointing towards a build up for the next generation of consoles from Sony and Microsoft (likely by 2014).

Those who've analyzed the Square tech demo see a lot in there that will be easily feasible for next-gen. I'm excited!

While this demo from Square is just a demo to test their engine and for hiring new talent, they are taking a survey asking people whether they are interested in seeing the concept presented in this demo become a real game!
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'd like to see more animated movies produced with SE's style of graphics. I'm not a video game player, so whenever I see promo videos containing cut scenes, it's the cut scenes I'm interested in and not the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2