• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Terms of Robot Warfare

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Wellness wrote:
One of my earliest introductions to anime was seeing a preview for Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle.

Down the road, I actually wanted to pick up the sequel when I saw it advertised but could never find it. Now I know why I could never find it. Heh, a shame it looked pretty good back in the day.

There are...ways to play Ranma 1/2 on SNES, still.

Also, I didn't play the OG games, but I was wondering if any of the PS2 installments could EVER come here. Legal hurdles ahoy!

Though isn't Capcom TRYING to secure US rights for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? If they can legally wrangle that one for our market, there's hope -- oh who am I kidding no there isn't
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Also, I didn't play the OG games, but I was wondering if any of the PS2 installments could EVER come here. Legal hurdles ahoy!

You should try getting them while you still can. No licensed series, but that didn't really bother me, Banprestos original stuff was more than good enough.

Quote:
Though isn't Capcom TRYING to secure US rights for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? If they can legally wrangle that one for our market, there's hope -- oh who am I kidding no there isn't

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Banpresto part of Namco-Bandai these days? That should solve alot licensing issues if Namco decided to bring the games over.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I love that look on Asuka's face in the background.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
If any RPG needs a remake/port, it's Romancing SaGa 2.
Change that 2 to a 3 and I'll agree 100%. A PS2/Wii remake a la Minstrel Song would be great, though I'd definitely play an updated version of RS2. Of course, that's nothing more than a dream, given that the series lacks popularity outside of Japan.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Subatomic Brainfreeze wrote:
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
Quote:
"Yes, it's another new Super Robot Wars game, this time with a K! It's also going to be the first title in the series built from scratch for the DS..."

Was W developed for GBA first or something?

W was kind of a quickie job, with most of its playable units and the basic systems coming directly from the last GBA game. SRW rule: Banpresto's first game for a system is always a quickie cash-in. That's why it won't pay to be excited about a potential current-gen (ie. PS3 or 360) version of SRW until one has already come out. They'll just upscale some other game.

This has actually already happened with the X360 with SRW XO which is essentially an upgraded SRW GC.

http://www.suparobo.jp/srw_lineup/srw_xo/index.html

Last edited by vapwaazu on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Why not have an english option but not release it in the states.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Otakuboy T wrote:

Because that would make too much sense
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You know, I'm not sure what it says that I never thought of that before. xD It's a good question, though! It's not entirely unheard of, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Subatomic Brainfreeze wrote:
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
Quote:
"Yes, it's another new Super Robot Wars game, this time with a K! It's also going to be the first title in the series built from scratch for the DS..."

Was W developed for GBA first or something?

W was kind of a quickie job, with most of its playable units and the basic systems coming directly from the last GBA game. SRW rule: Banpresto's first game for a system is always a quickie cash-in. That's why it won't pay to be excited about a potential current-gen (ie. PS3 or 360) version of SRW until one has already come out. They'll just upscale some other game.

And right now, Z is certainly the SRW game to get. It's not just an outstanding SRW game, it's an outstanding videogame. I bet they'll port it to the PS3 with upscaled graphics for a quickie cash-in. Mark my words.

Quote:
Aww, still no Gurren Lagann in SRW?

Rights are tied up with Takara/Konami (Bandai's mortal toy company enemy) and the show is still way too new. Won't happen for another three or four years, if at all.

That's odd that there's rights issues with Takara. If Banpresto could get GaoGaiGar I don't see why Gurren Lagann is off limits. They're probably still trying to figure out how to accuratley represent that series in the game anyway.

For me an SRW game sells me on it's roster. And Z is 50/50 for me. For every excellent series (Gundam X, Gainer) there's an equally awful one to offset it (SEED Destiny, Eureka 7). However I'm already sold on K for one simple reason, GODANNAR! It's about time he got to show up in one. He was practically designed to be in SRW.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Hi, Sopko. Fancy running into you in this neck of the interwebs. xD I thought that spiel about .hack sounded familiar!

As you can see from the date joined/post count, I lurk a lot but don't post much.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
*headbang, headbang, headbang, headbang*

WHY BANDAI, WHY? Why not just HOLD OFF on the damn .hack PSP game and focus on MAKING A CONSOLE TITLE DOWN THE ROAD?

Wait for the next major plotline to develop because last I checked, LINK isn't as much of the 'continuation' styled plot G.U. was to Part 1-4.

Save the games for the major changes and the like, not stuff that sounds like it's crappy fanfiction.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, I hated Girlfriend of Steel so much. If I sadly didn't know better, I peg it hard as fan-fiction, with all the typical pitfalls thereof.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Super Robot Wars games and U.S. releases, the only one that might come here any time soon is Super Robot Wars OG: Endless Frontier, as Bandai trademarked the subtitle. It's a spin-off of a spin-off, featuring some of the robots from the Original Generation series, KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, and the two leads from Namco X Capcom.

This should tell you what sort of game it is.
Miss Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
As another thought, anyone else about had it with the dot hack franchise?

Actually, it is ending. The .hack//Link game is supposedly THE final installment in the franchise. Go to Dothacker's homepage and the news should be on there.

Even though I'm a big .hack fan, I am thankful to see it end. However, I wish it had gone out with G.U. rather than this obvious fanservice of a game.
But, I guess you never know. CC2 may just wow us; not holding my hopes too high though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3