• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai: Resurrection Movie Debuts Sunday Night

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beryl7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Ah, yeah! I've been looking forward to this all month.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
...wait, what? Mark "The Joker" Hamill is in the sequel? That's certainly interesting. Afro Samurai isn't my thing, but Hamill is awesome. I wish he did more anime voice overs.
Kylemakk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
...wait, what? Mark "The Joker" Hamill is in the sequel? That's certainly interesting. Afro Samurai isn't my thing, but Hamill is awesome. I wish he did more anime voice overs.

I felt the same way. I watched the first 30 minutes over at Spike's website for free and got to listen to him. The man is pretty talented to say the least. I'd have to agree about him doing more anime.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, lets see how it measures up to the first part.

I'm also excited to hear Mark Hamill, especially after him doing Fire Lord Ozai from Avatar! I was very impressed.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Mark "The Joker" Hamill is in the sequel? That's certainly interesting.

Interesting, really? He's always voicing cartoon characters.

In addition to Batman and Avatar: The Last Airbender, his post-Star-Wars resume has included the likes of Codename: Kids Next Door, Spider-Man, The Tick, Metalocalypse, Pepper Ann, The Incredible Hulk, The Oblongs, Swat Kats, Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, Robot Chicken, SpongeBob SquarePants, Phantom 2040, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack and Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in the World, among others.

So his involvement in Afro Samurai, while welcome, is hardly newsworthy in itself ....
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I only said it was interesting because while I'm aware of his cartoon VA pedigree, he's rarely done anime, per se. That'd be like Frank Welker voicing a character in Generic Shonen Show X.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Already have a reminder on it for tonight. Cool
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I only said it was interesting because while I'm aware of his cartoon VA pedigree, he's rarely done anime, per se. That'd be like Frank Welker voicing a character in Generic Shonen Show X.

True, but Afro Samurai isn't a typical anime, it has much more US involvement in it's production than most. I mean, isn't it's (correct me if I'm wrong) original language track actually English?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

True, but Afro Samurai isn't a typical anime, it has much more US involvement in it's production than most. I mean, isn't it's (correct me if I'm wrong) original language track actually English?

I believe so. The series seems specifically tailored for US consumption, and it knows its target audience (hence the channel it airs on).
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Oh noes, the purists will have to watch anime (and as Japanese animation, it fully qualifies, regardless of who pays for it) in English?!?!?

FUNI is also [planning to] release it on Blu-ray too, so lets show some anime-in-HD love here ANN! Think I'll pass on the broadcast though. It will give me time to get around to watching the rest of "season" 1 ... not to mention I hate ads (yet enjoy on-disc promos and trailers for some reason.)
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Definitely gonna check this one out.

But...why is Ninja Ninja back...? Isn't he like...you know...spoiler[a figment of his imagination?]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Oh noes, the purists will have to watch anime (and as Japanese animation, it fully qualifies, regardless of who pays for it) in English?!?!?

FUNI is also [planning to] release it on Blu-ray too, so lets show some anime-in-HD love here ANN! Think I'll pass on the broadcast though. It will give me time to get around to watching the rest of "season" 1 ... not to mention I hate ads (yet enjoy on-disc promos and trailers for some reason.)

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember that a Japanese language track doesn't even exist.

By the way, if you want to see the first show, they are airing all 5 episodes of it after the movie. I'll be taping the whole thing; my Dad is actually interested in the show, and it will give me a chance to finally check it out myself. (I've only seen bits and pieces so far.)
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Well, no, they don't have to watch it at all.

This series certainly seems to have plenty of non-fans on this board, after all.

Quote:
It will give me time to get around to watching the rest of "season" 1

It was indeed a season, no need for quotation marks.

By the way, said season repeats tonight right after Resurrection's premiere.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
As I am watching this as I type, I still can't believe an anime of this caliber gets so much attention and exposure compared to other anime.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
As I am watching this as I type, I still can't believe an anime of this caliber gets so much attention and exposure compared to other anime.

I'm not sure whether this was a positive or negative comment towards the movie...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3