• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: James Cameron to Focus on Avatar Sequels, Documentaries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Good, now we never have to discuss whether Cameron is actually going to work on Battle Angel ever again. Case closed, go home.

I wish anime could get the same treatment Marvel and DC comics have been getting for the last few years, but that's so beyond wishful thinking it becomes pure delusion. If GitS or Akira were made, they'd be 30 million dollar B-Movies and a brown stain on the box office. It's best that this trend just not happen rather than terrible films be produced.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
All this says is he's all about the Avatar sequels right now, but I am sure when he is done with them he will finally have time to do Battle Angel. But yeah, the mention of a possible Avatar 4 makes that seem very far away.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
All this says is he's all about the Avatar sequels right now, but I am sure when he is done with them he will finally have time to do Battle Angel. But yeah, the mention of a possible Avatar 4 makes that seem very far away.

Given that it will take 4-5 years between films, Cameron will die before Battle Angel, or forget that it exists because of early onset alzheimer's. Yes, this is a pessimistic view, but it's hard to not be upset when someone who has the power to make an actual good adaptation dicks around and then decides to keep directing Pocahontas in Space. He certainly doesn't need the money, and Avatar does not need sequels.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:

Given that it will take 4-5 years between films, Cameron will die before Battle Angel, or forget that it exists because of early onset alzheimer's. Yes, this is a pessimistic view, but it's hard to not be upset when someone who has the power to make an actual good adaptation dicks around and then decides to keep directing Pocahontas in Space. He certainly doesn't need the money, and Avatar does not need sequels.

Well I am pretty sure Avatar 2 and 3 were going to be released 1 year apart from each other. But then again it was also stated that Avatar 2 is scheduled for like 2016... so its still a while.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Well its a good thing he not [expletive] up on Battle Angel but its even worse that two more crappy Avatar movies being made
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yes, this is a pessimistic view, but it's hard to not be upset when someone who has the power to make an actual good adaptation dicks around and then decides to keep directing Pocahontas in Space. He certainly doesn't need the money, and Avatar does not need sequels.

What about Leprechaun 4: In Space? That film needs sequels.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
This new commitment of his seems cynical to me, but James Cameron has never really mattered to me, so I don't especially mind, although I don't relish the prospect of weathering several more Avatar marketing blitzes.

I had hoped that his making Battle Angel would inspire some company to reprint the manga. I'm interested, but putting a complete set together will be a pain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and gentleman, the new George Lucas.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Ladies and gentleman, the new George Lucas.

Too soon!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:

The Director who created Terminator and Aliens is gone, his not coming back, and his certainly not making Battle Angel Alita. The current Cameron would butcher the story.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The Director who created Terminator and Aliens is gone, his not coming back, and his certainly not making Battle Angel Alita. The current Cameron would butcher the story.

I see that glass half full. After Terminator and Aliens, Cameron owes me nothing.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

This is so true. Battle Angel fans needn’t have worried anyway; Cameron will never make a film of it. And even suppose there was a chance he did, it would bear little resemblance to anything in the original manga. There'd be perhaps one or two key ideas taken from it, but the rest of the story you can guarantee would be from Cameron alone. Since the days of Aliens and Terminator he's always been a complete control freak.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish anime could get the same treatment Marvel and DC comics have been getting for the last few years

You must really hate anime to say something like this.

And the ironic thing is I'm sure a lot of comic fans are saying the opposite.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
I don't know him much but I'd say he's only interested in the money Avatar provides, considering his partnership in a company that aims to achieve asteroid mining within the next 10 years.

Considering that he's a smart man he should be more than aware that the story in Avatar has been dumbed down in many levels to reach as much of an audience as possible around the globe.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it's hard to not be upset

It's really easy, actually!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2