• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that is interested in the fact that the fishermen guy is an expert (actually was in charge of!) on the security of the SAO system?

Mark my words, that will become an important fact someday.

As for Asuna and Kirito, it is incomprehensible to me that they would even ask him if the system had any security weaknesses that they could exploit. Particularly since the last major thing Kirito did was spoiler[to dive into a security hole to save the kid.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Am I the only one that is interested in the fact that the fishermen guy is an expert (actually was in charge of!) on the security of the SAO system?

I thought it interesting as well. I thought Kirito's reaction was even more intriguing; I was expecting him to confront the fisherman but he didn't.

The fisherman proves that spoiler[people other than the creator was involved with securing the system. I have to wonder if there aren't backdoors that can be accessed from the outside. I also wonder why the expert is in the game; seems pretty convenient to me to trap a guy who may be able to break the system if given a chance. Are there other experts outside the game, or are all of them inside?]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Mark my words, that will become an important fact someday.

As for Asuna and Kirito, it is incomprehensible to me that they would even ask him if the system had any security weaknesses that they could exploit. Particularly since the last major thing Kirito did was spoiler[to dive into a security hole to save the kid.]

I noticed it, too. I haven't commented on it because I was waiting to see if or when that fact might become relevant (in regards to the overall plot). The man himself seems to be (or at least have been) resigned to being stuck in SAO for an indefinite stay. Though I don't think he's there to "observe the subjects" for some mysterious, shadowy agency.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
My thought on the fisherman guy, why he's in the game and such,spoiler[ is the possibility that in order for the creator of the game to keep his secret about the game secret (not being able to log off), very few if anyone else involved in the SAO's development knew about that secret.] So it's just very likely that one (or more) of the game's staff logged on that fateful day, and the Nervegear couldn't discern or discriminate, and got trapped himself.

Dtm and HaruhiToy are probably right because as with anime, there's usually reason for everything, and the fisherman will probably play into the story again later.

This episode revealed there spoiler[was supposedly a day when everyone "went to sleep" while they were out and about and that was when they moved everybody to hospital beds. Wouldn't that mean they successfully logged them off, so why not just disconnect everyone from the game at that point?] If, whatever means the players were removed from their homes into hospitals, they still would have had to do it in a manner that didn't interrupt the game whatsoever (ie switching their pcs over to a portable power supply without causing them to shut down).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Past,

It's already been said that people sleep normally even while connected to the game (otherwise they'd break down and eventually die). The people in question weren't logged off the game, because if they were then their avatar's would've disappeared, yet we see them in the flashback. So they were still connected. I think by "offline" she just means that their players were asleep/unconscious, not that they were actually disconnected from SAO. Also, it didn't affect *all* of the players; Asuna said "most" when she was talking.

OTOH, I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics involved. How does NetGear connect to SAO. What happens if the NetGear loses connection to the SAO server: does that cause instant death? What, exactly, happens? Does the NetGear have a timer for how long it can remain out of contact with the SAO server? If the NetGear were to be out of contact and the avatar were to die in the meanwhile, does that mean that the signal to fry the host's brain does not occur until he reconnects? We know that attempting to physically tamper with the NetGear results in instant cranial microwaving, that's about all I can think of that we're told specifically (and that was from the Creator).

So, I'm not sure of what all would be involved in moving those logged on to SAO. If the wireless capabilities of the NerveGear allowed it to stay connected the whole time, then I would guess it wouldn't be hard to move people. But if that wasn't the case, then moving people would be less easy.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
@Tuor_of_Gondolin I think the way it works is that they cannot be disconnected from the NerveGear physically. Being offline, but still physically connected (and thus unable to awaken) does not result in death. Same can be said for losing your internet connection or a power outage: the NerveGear has an internal battery so even if someone falls offline, it's still turned on and able to distinguish that they have not actually logged out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
But then why did the authorities hook players back up to a game in which they could die? Why not leave them unconscious for several years until they could figure out how to disable the nerve gear completely? There's no point in saving people only to put them back in the game and have them die in a boss battle or whatever.

If the show could come up with a proper explanation for what exactly happened then I'd be happy to be convinced. But dropping a half-baked bombshell that raises plenty of questions without really answering anything is not the way to do it.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
He allowed the head sets to be disconnected for two hours. Any nervgear disconnected for longer than that would have self destructed.

This isn't even a far fetched theory, even if it hadn't already been explained. It shouldn't need to be. You could come up with several realist explanations how this could have played out.

It's not a bombshell. It's not a plot hole. It's an interesting detail, nothing more.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
He allowed the head sets to be disconnected for two hours. Any nervgear disconnected for longer than that would have self destructed.

This isn't even a far fetched theory, even if it hadn't already been explained. It shouldn't need to be. You could come up with several realist explanations how this could have played out.

Sorry, but this was never explained. (If it was, show me the exact scene.) And I have been coming up with several theories, each of which raises more questions than the last. It's a huge mess at the moment. I did acknowledge that it was possible a deal was struck with the creator, but with no evidence whatsoever you can't claim it as fact.

Bugnin wrote:
It's not a bombshell. It's not a plot hole. It's an interesting detail, nothing more.

It is a plot hole, because we don't know what exactly happened and the show isn't explaining that. Therefore, hearing that almost every player mysteriously had their consciousness leave the game is a huge bombshell, because for all we know the authorities managed to do it on their own without any help from the creator.

Plus, how it happened doesn't change the fact that the transfer occurred several weeks after everyone was in the game. Like I said before, it raises huge questions about how everyone was kept alive when their bodies weren't at hospital. Did every house and apartment become a makeshift ward? Who knows. Certainly not us, the audience, and some of us want to be told.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
Extra details irrelevant to the plot line are not plot holes.

I could just as easily ask why they haven't explained exactly how the Nervgear works in detail, but that's not exposing a plot hole.

A plot hole is something unexplainable in a story. Not something unexplained. Huge difference.

I'm just not seeing what's so unexplainable. one day the players were stuck at home, the next they were in a hospital. That's not out of the ordinary.

The several weeks thing seems to be something lost in translation. That's not the way it was originally written.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Extra details irrelevant to the plot line are not plot holes.

The authorities potentially having the ability to take every player offline is hugely important to the plot, because it strikes at the very heart of the premise. I've already said this.

Bugnin wrote:
A plot hole is something unexplainable in a story. Not something unexplained. Huge difference.

The term can mean multiple things.

Wikipedia wrote:
A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot.

I'd say it was pretty effing blatant.

Bugnin wrote:
I'm just not seeing what's so unexplainable. one day the players were stuck at home, the next they were in a hospital. That's not out of the ordinary.

No, it's pretty bloody weird and extraordinary. Thousands of people moved into hospitals all at once, and no explanation as to how the authorities did it without killing everyone.

Bugnin wrote:
The several weeks thing seems to be something lost in translation. That's not the way it was originally written.

Well, unless HS changed CrunchyRoll's script, or, unless CrunchyRoll's script is incorrect and does not reflect what the Seiyuu for Asuna and Kirito are saying, "several weeks" is official.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have fansub translations that say something different?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

No, it's pretty bloody weird and extraordinary. Thousands of people moved into hospitals all at once, and no explanation as to how the authorities did it without killing everyone.

It wasn't all at once. It was staggered, as you saw in the actual episode.

Akihiko planned everything out in advance. It would have been a comparatively simple matter to install a setting that would allow a service interruption for up to two hours before a NervGear shutdown.

It would have been pretty easy for him to just send a message to authorities laying everything out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
It wasn't all at once. It was staggered, as you saw in the actual episode.

Akihiko planned everything out in advance. It would have been a comparatively simple matter to install a setting that would allow a service interruption for up to two hours before a NervGear shutdown.

It would have been pretty easy for him to just send a message to authorities laying everything out.

Most of the players were done in one hit, so it was only partly staggered.

As for the rest, that is pure speculation. I'm not saying it is bad speculation - it's quite plausible - but until we are told otherwise it is only speculation. There's no evidence at all (so far at least) to support your view.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
You are being a bit rediculous, for one we have been told next to nothing about what is happening on the outside. Actually the only things we have been told was in episode 1 when the creator talked to them. This isn't just something we the audience are being left out of, it is all the characters, and any mention on the outside is purely speculation. I wonder why fiction would want to limit information to what the characters know, it is like it wants us to know what it feels like in their shoes?

I am reminded of a certain battle field where a character mentioned that the important things is to accept the current situation. And I think there is an addition somewhere else about everything else is assumptions.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But then why did the authorities hook players back up to a game in which they could die? Why not leave them unconscious for several years until they could figure out how to disable the nerve gear completely? There's no point in saving people only to put them back in the game and have them die in a boss battle or whatever.

If the show could come up with a proper explanation for what exactly happened then I'd be happy to be convinced. But dropping a half-baked bombshell that raises plenty of questions without really answering anything is not the way to do it.

I do agree with this but I really think you're putting way to much thought into this. I really do not believe that this show is anywhere near as complex as your making it out to be. The whole idea of the show is ridiculous and kind of stupid, I'm still really having fun with it even with all its flaws.

Thinking about anything in this series trying to make an understanding of whats going on and why just will make your brain hurt. The whole premises itself is nonsense so really it could just be anything the writers can think of. That's about really as deep as this show goes. Just calm down and enjoy what your watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 69 of 274