• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Key wrote:

And concerning the Next Episode preview: Is anyone else having trouble playing it? I'm hoping that it's just my heavily-restricted work computer.

I was able to watch the video. It just loaded incredibly slow and was slightly choppy at first. To be honest, I don't know if I like what I see in the preview. It sort of looks like a set up for one of those "NOOOOO" moments where the hero gets all super traumatized and goes on some mindless rampage. This is a very VERY common trope in Anime, so it is hardly surprising if that's where they are going, but I think this trope has already been utilized too much in SAO with both Kirito and Asuna. I'd rather see a well orchestrated tactical battle at this point than another scene where Kirito gets super angry and loses all inhibitions and goes bat $%#@ crazy on the boss, totally obliterating it on his own.

As an MMO player myself, I know just how strategic most end game boss fights are. Often, such fights involve dozens of players each playing key roles in a strategy that can play out over 10+ minutes of execution. You almost never have a boss where the whole fight is just everyone slash it until it dies. And it is also never the case that one player just suddenly breaks off from the group and goes nuts on the boss. In most cases, such individual conduct would trigger some kind of trap or interrupt the strategy in some way which would bring about the deaths of everyone else.

I can put that fear to bed by saying no...something much more unexpected happens. Happy to see it's going through the 2nd LN. I sort of thought that was needed truthfully.
ZombieBunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
And it is also never the case that one player just suddenly breaks off from the group and goes nuts on the boss. In most cases, such individual conduct would trigger some kind of trap or interrupt the strategy in some way which would bring about the deaths of everyone else.

Leeeeeeeeeeerooooy Jenkinnnnns!

LoL. I was going to mention Leeeeroy Jenkins but I didn't know how many would get that reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins

*just joined the forum today long time lurker* omg I completely forgot about Leroy---- even now still funny
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
It's not a matter of people's minds would break down. The SAO players are essentially coma patients in a persistent vegetative state from the point of view of the real world.

This is where you and I disagree: I don't think that they are effectively coma patients. This is because although they are unconscious, they aren't really dreaming. The NerveGear is sending the brain signals to which it can interpret and react. I'm no expert on this, but I'd think that an actual coma patient has limited brain function, but that someone connected to SAO via the NerveGear would have more normal brain function, only the "outputs" would be getting sent to SAO instead of the body. Basically, I don't think the guys in SAO are in a vegetative state per se.

Of course, the other aspects you mentioned (about issues with the body not being announced, being bedridden for a long period of time, et cetera, would still exist, and so the results of that would still be a problem.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:
It's not a matter of people's minds would break down. The SAO players are essentially coma patients in a persistent vegetative state from the point of view of the real world.

This is where you and I disagree: I don't think that they are effectively coma patients. This is because although they are unconscious, they aren't really dreaming. The NerveGear is sending the brain signals to which it can interpret and react. I'm no expert on this, but I'd think that an actual coma patient has limited brain function, but that someone connected to SAO via the NerveGear would have more normal brain function, only the "outputs" would be getting sent to SAO instead of the body. Basically, I don't think the guys in SAO are in a vegetative state per se.

Of course, the other aspects you mentioned (about issues with the body not being announced, being bedridden for a long period of time, et cetera, would still exist, and so the results of that would still be a problem.

Coma - In medicine, a coma (from the Greek κῶμα koma, meaning deep sleep) is a state of unconsciousness lasting more than six hours,[1] in which a person: cannot be awakened; fails to respond normally to painful stimuli, light, or sound; lacks a normal sleep-wake cycle; and, does not initiate voluntary actions.[1] A person in a state of coma is described as being comatose. Although, according to the Glasgow Coma Scale, a person with confusion is considered to be in the mildest coma.

I think there is a term for when someone has little brain activity but I can't think of it off the top of my head. But GrayArchon right, they could be technically in a coma.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:

Coma - In medicine, a coma (from the Greek κῶμα koma, meaning deep sleep) is a state of unconsciousness lasting more than six hours,[1] in which a person: cannot be awakened; fails to respond normally to painful stimuli, light, or sound; lacks a normal sleep-wake cycle; and, does not initiate voluntary actions.[1] A person in a state of coma is described as being comatose. Although, according to the Glasgow Coma Scale, a person with confusion is considered to be in the mildest coma.

I think there is a term for when someone has little brain activity but I can't think of it off the top of my head. But GrayArchon right, they could be technically in a coma.

Yeah, I read the wiki entry (which I think you took that from) before posting. However, I wasn't able to determine the amount of mental activity typically found in a coma patient... especially long-term coma patients. OTOH, I did come across this tidbit in the linked article about vegetative states:

'The vegetative state is a chronic or long-term condition. This condition differs from a coma: a coma is a state that lacks both awareness and wakefulness. Patients in a vegetative state may have awoken from a coma, but still have not regained awareness. In the vegetative state patients can open their eyelids occasionally and demonstrate sleep-wake cycles, but completely lack cognitive function. The vegetative state is also called a "coma vigil". The chances of regaining awareness diminish considerably as the time spent in the vegetative state increases.[8]'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_vegetative_state

This means that being in a coma and being in a vegetative state are related, but different. I'm not sure how that plays in to what's going on with the people in SAO. It's all probably TMI for the show, anyway. Razz

I should also point out that while people in SAO aren't aware of what is going on with their bodies, they *are* aware of what is going on in the game they're connected to.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I said they're essentially coma patients. Naturally there will be some key differences like brain activity. That's not the point. The point is that their basic symptoms are more or less the same. They cannot be awakened; fail to respond normally to painful stimuli, light, or sound, and, can not initiate voluntary actions. They'll require much of the same treatment as coma patients, and be vulnerable to most of the same complications as coma patients. So contrary to what some people were suggesting a few pages back, their bodies are not in a healthy state that can be maintained indefinitely. They're in a slowly weakening state where is only a matter of time before they end up suffering a complication that kills them. They cannot live the rest of their natural life span in that state, odds are something will kill them within a couple decades at best.
Viorexx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I just finished wanting ep 14 and spoiler[it looks like the end the othe series. i looked at some site and the series is supposed to me around 25 ep. does anyone know what going to happen now. ]
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14.

spoiler["There's nothing as boring as watching someone else play an RPG."

I've never liked the way that fight turns out, novel or anime, though I have trouble explaining exactly why. Something about it lacks catharsis.

Fun fact: the weapon skill Kirito gets goaded into using is the highest-level Dual Blades skill The Eclipse, weighing in at 27 hits.]

Viorexx wrote:
I just finished wanting ep 14 and spoiler[it looks like the end the othe series. i looked at some site and the series is supposed to me around 25 ep. does anyone know what going to happen now.
spoiler[Naturally, they'll start another story arc.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Kirito. spoiler[Nice hax]. Well, whatever. We already had a spoiler[ghost].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Well, if the object of episode 14 was to ensure I'd come back for episode 15, let me just say, in the words of a much beloved American ex-President (heh): Mission accomplished.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
A bit anti-climactic if you ask me, but I am looking forward to the next arc.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
WTF?

This series has more than 10 (!!) Volumes?!?!

So you're telling me that after all THAT they're still gonna enter other virtual worlds? Why?
salukechechzkov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
WTF?

This series has more than 10 (!!) Volumes?!?!

So you're telling me that after all THAT they're still gonna enter other virtual worlds? Why?

"Kirito, I don't know about this."

"Oh come on Asuna, this game looks awesome, what could go wrong?"

"...Are you fackin serious?"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
By the way, maybe I didn't quite understand, but I must have missed spoiler[where a "castle in the sky" dream required mass murder.]
salukechechzkov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
By the way, maybe I didn't quite understand, but I must have missed spoiler[where a "castle in the sky" dream required mass murder.]

Think it was just a dude super passionate about wanting to escape the real world and delve into something more fantastical. So much so that it could take the place of the real world. Meaning you could actually die. I mean, so far as I know, I don't know the backstory behind the guy. Maybe he went through some heavy stuff and dedicated his life to becoming a master programmer just so he could live out that fantasy.

And of course, the fantasy wouldn't be complete without others to join you. Without real players it would just feel like any other game. So I don't look at it like this guy made a tool for mass murder. He just made another world and, predictably, a ton of people died. I'm not condoning what he did, but that's probably how it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 274