• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
I've finished all 25 episodes of this show.

First thing's first: the visuals of this show are strong, with bright colors, distinctive character designs, and great background art - especially in the in-game worlds where most of the show takes place. The story set-up of the first 14 episodes is quite simple - a bunch of players get trapped in a virtual reality online game, and death in the game means death in real life. The only way to escape is to clear the game. From then on, we follow Kirito as he tries to clear the game as a solo player in a game full of guilds. A lot of episodes are spent not trying to clear the game but on various side quests. Most of them do build Kirito and other characters as they approach. Kirito's character has its flaws but he spends most of the show mowing through his opposition. He's overpowered, sure, but his adventures are still fun to watch. The romance angle here is a bit sappy but it takes its time to develop so it was still pretty well done. The second half of this show brings in spoiler[a new game and] new characters, lead by Kirito's sister and her classmate. spoiler[Everyone in this new game is one of nine fairy races, and the flying element brings new excitement to the show - as well as more opportunities to marvel at fantastic backgrounds.] Unfortunately, this half of the show could have used more world-building (spoiler[for example, only five of the nine fairy races are even mentioned]) and character development. There's romantic feelings here, too, as you may have heard. spoiler[I don't have a problem with stories featuring romantic feelings between siblings (it's one-sided here), and this story was more about unrequited love and Kirito trying to get used to being back in the real world than anything else. That last part could have been expanded upon more, but that's a problem with this entire half of the show.] Fight scenes are exciting throughout the show, although due to the story they drop in frequency and lose impact in the second half. Also, the confrontations with the main enemies don't have the impact that they could have had, mostly due to Kirito's overpowered nature.

Overall, I enjoyed this show. The first half is noticeably stronger than the second, but you have interesting worlds, action, and characters throughout. 8/10

Geez, the limit was 5 sentences. what an I doing?[/spoiler]
CalicoAshlie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of Sword Art Online, and I'm hooked. I just have a few questions I would appreciate it if someone could answer.

1. What was the purpose of the mirrors?
2. Why is Kirito's paper cut still bleeding?
Is he in danger of bleeding to death?
3. Are Kirito and Klein supposed to be gay?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
1) So that the characters would see that they now indeed look like themselves.

2) Because people bleed when you are cut. And yes

3) Again, yes. Although he supresses it by relationships with girls and sandwiches.
CalicoAshlie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
I just wondered because usually a paper cut isn't that serious. Does the games hardware (I forgot what they called it) prevent the body from healing? Like making his blood clot?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
CalicoAshlie wrote:
I just wondered because usually a paper cut isn't that serious. Does the games hardware (I forgot what they called it) prevent the body from healing? Like making his blood clot?

No I don't think it does. It is probably mostly used as symbolism to show that he is in a bad position, that although he may not be entirely aware of it, he is in physical danger. Maybe think that dying in a video game would be something as small as getting a paper cut, but right now a slip could spell doom.
CalicoAshlie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate it Smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
CalicoAshlie wrote:

3. Are Kirito and Klein supposed to be gay?

Um, no. It was just a joke between them. They're both straight; showing interest only in women. Klein is unlucky though. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Um, no. It was just a joke between them. They're both straight; showing interest only in women. Klein is unlucky though. Anime hyper

And then we have the second season that includes Kirito's acts in GGO, and Klein's .... incident.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Kirito only acted that way to be obnoxious and annoy Sinon (and it worked) and Klein continues to be very unlucky. Anime hyper
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe some people actually think Kirito is gay... Laughing (Could that be one of the reasons the series received so much hate btw?) Rolling Eyes
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm relatively certain Dusk is joking......most people like to joke on this forum...... Laughing
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
^ I suppose you're right, though, it wasn't Dusky who originally brought it up... Cool
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm relatively certain Dusk is joking......most people like to joke on this forum...... Laughing

In real life when I am not being earnest (I tend to not like upsetting people) or quiet (I am a very shy person) I tend to be a very sarcastic person. People who are not used to it tend to get very confused when I say the most ridiculous things like they are fact, but I don't usually want people to believe it rather than confuse people for a moment, and I tend to correct people when I see that they took it seriously. Internet really does not translate sarcasm well, and really can't tell if the other party saw through it.

And I actually thought CalicoAshlie was actually trying to troll a bit with the questions. I apologise for thinking that and the initial sarcastic comment. I actually do remember being a little confused after the first episode in what the "cute" comment meant and if it said something about sexual orientation.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I was also questioning Klein's preferences the first time I saw that scene. Anime hyper

I understand it better now since the novel describes Kirito having a "girlish rounded face" (which he hates by the way haha).

So Klein meant he thought Kirito was cute because he looked like a girl. lol

[Insert doujin of Klein entering GGO and falling in love with KIRI-TRAP]

"Hey cutie! What's your number? Wanna go out for tea?"

"..............uh...........Klein, actually....."

"..................................."

"WHAT!? SON OF A..... KIRITO, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT AVATAR!?"

haha that'd be hilarious!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 273 of 274