• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Expo Exposed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Americans and Western culture just seems to love all of this super violent and killing people stuff. I don't really get it... when I play a game, I'd rather play something more colorful and fantasy like, instead of gritty realism and murder and stuff.

People have their quirks. Japanese love playing for their imaginary waifus - and other people don't get that neither. Violence, waifus, they're all fantasy. Laughing

(Meanwhile, we were invited to a Sony Wonder Labs private expo to try out upcoming stuff. Too bad they didn't have any info about the PS4. Didn't win any of the laptop/gadget prizes neither, though gifted some cool software and grub.)

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Americans and Western culture just seems to love all of this super violent and killing people stuff. I don't really get it... when I play a game, I'd rather play something more colorful and fantasy like, instead of gritty realism and murder and stuff.

Same here. I was born and raised here, but I just don't understand why 85% of California thinks a game needs to have violence to be considered "worth playing". If it's an RPG other than Final Fantasy, it's instantly dismissed as "fruity anime stuff".

As for E3, where's the special Tales announcement that was promised for the U.S.? Or Paper Mario 3DS? None of this other junk interests me.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
People have their quirks. Japanese love playing for their imaginary waifus - and other people don't get that neither. Violence, waifus, they're all fantasy. Laughing

You just described Mass Effect. The amount of rage and effort people put over those romance options when you got nothing in return (at least eroge has hentai scenes) astounded me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="belvadeer"]
RyanSaotome wrote:
Quote:

Same here. I was born and raised here, but I just don't understand why 85% of California thinks a game needs to have violence to be considered "worth playing". If it's an RPG other than Final Fantasy, it's instantly dismissed as "fruity anime stuff".

As for E3, where's the special Tales announcement that was promised for the U.S.? Or Paper Mario 3DS? None of this other junk interests me.

Yeah, I really miss when gaming was more of a "nerdy" thing, like in the SNES and PS1 gens. Once Xbox came around, it started becoming a lot more mainstream and all the Americans want their violent shooters and realistic looking graphics, while before that it focused a lot more on actual fun, and not worrying about being "Cool". And now even Nintendo, the one place left that doesn't do these gritty games, is just focusing on casuals with bite size games I don't care about.

Gaming is in a sad state from my point of view. It'll never go back to as good as it was, but at least there are still many older games I have never played, and some niche publishers like Nisa and Atlus who "get it". Fortunately once I finish learning Japanese, I'll have a whole new game library open to me since a lot of good stuff just never gets released over here due to the typical American gamer mindset.

At this point, I'd rather replay Shining Force 2 or Chrono Trigger for the 10th time than play most newer games...

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the problem with excess violence in gaming. I mean, it gets tiring after a while, yes, but running people over in GTAIV will never get old, if only due to Euphoria making everything hilariously realistic.

Also, the most violent game I have ever seen is a Japanese game (ridiculous violence to the point of being satirical-which it is--, obviously).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I don't really see the problem with excess violence in gaming. I mean, it gets tiring after a while, yes, but running people over in GTAIV will never get old, if only due to Euphoria making everything hilariously realistic.

Also, the most violent game I have ever seen is a Japanese game (ridiculous violence to the point of being satirical-which it is--, obviously).

Well, its a personal preference, but I just don't like extreme violence. I never watch movie or anime with extreme violence either, since its something that just doesn't sit well with me. I remember actually being kinda turned off of the Tales of Vesperia movie when they added a lot of blood, since the Tales series has never had blood.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this years E3 was pretty weak overall imo. But hey at least Nintendo had some fun stuff.

Anywho, looking forward to picking up Gungnir & Lolipop Chainsaw next week. Been eagerly awaiting both!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You just described Mass Effect. The amount of rage and effort people put over those romance options when you got nothing in return (at least eroge has hentai scenes) astounded me.

Eh, I don't see as much effort on Mass Effect as Japanese put on their waifus. In ME, it's more like it's good to have choices, classy sex scene, but they're there for the cosmic space opera and gameplay. If anything, its ending where fans blew their tops off. Laughing
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity why was nintendo the only one spared of a letdown paragraph, they were far from the best presentation.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
TGS tends to be where the Japanese developers announce the big stuff, so I'm looking forward to that.

Not into shooters so I didn't care about Microsoft

Sony focused too much on a magic book, though I do have to say.. Playstation All-Stars...really? It works for Nintendo because they have a huge library of first-party characters. Sony has... what? Honestly if you have to add a random character like a Big Daddy from Bioshock (not even a Sony-exclusive PS3 game) you need to take a step back and ask yourself if this is a good idea. As of now, the only character I remotely care about is Parappa, but the actual game mechanics look terrible.

Nintendo had the best showing, I'd say.

Nintendo NEVER appears at TGS. They hold their own event prior to TGS.

Don't get your hopes up about Japanese Wii U support. Because its poor. NamcoBandai & TecmoKoei are the only two Japanese publishers in its launch lineup.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If anything, its ending where fans blew their tops off. Laughing

Given that this was written in the context of eroge, would it accord with your wishes to interpret it as a double entendre of sorts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
If anything, its ending where fans blew their tops off. Laughing

Given that this was written in the context of eroge, would it accord with your wishes to interpret it as a double entendre of sorts?

Haha, good one! Laughing
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Considering that there was no news at all about the ONE game I most care about being released here at the moment (that being the new Fire Emblem), it was overall an extremely disappointing E3...

You DO realize that Nintendo explained that they'll be having a 3DS-centric conference later tonight...RIGHT?

Anyway, I think people just need to stop pretending that E3 is some sort of fan convention; it's a trade show, it's where companies get together to show off products for investors, partners, and shareholders. Heck, it's something I wish E3 would realize instead of pandering to the increasingly whiny, impossible-to-please demographic gamers are turning into. Nintendo showed off Pikmin 3 and NSMBU (the followup to one of the Wii's best-selling titles), that's enough for me. Anyone expecting some sort of deluge has only themselves to blame; when make impossible expectations don't throw a hissy fit when they aren't met.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Out of curiosity why was nintendo the only one spared of a letdown paragraph, they were far from the best presentation.

Because they didn't bore the audience for 10 minutes with the wonder book. Laughing (no anger people, I love sony, but c'mon.)

But yeah I would say probably because there wasn't really much of a let down, Nintendo had a solid showing, maybe not all the "hardcore gamers" out there were pleased with it, but I bet the corporate suites & E3's intended demo probably enjoyed it to some extent. Yeah it was far from Nintendo's best or strongest presentation, but it was solid overall, at least imo. Hoping the 3DS showing tonight is solid as well.

Also @Aiddon: I agree whole-heartedly. Given that doesn't keep me from being disappointed in Sony's presentation, but I defiantly agree with what your saying, E3 is more for the big wigs then the fan boys.

*and again can't comment on a Microsoft as I am not a fan and do not own any of their systems or computers. Razz *

Last edited by Soundmonkey44 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Guessing you're saving all the fighting game tidbits for next week then (Sarah Bryant in DoA5, etc.).

Speaking of such, one interesting bit about PS All-Stars and the new DC Comics fighter Injustice is that the development staffs of both titles have a number of members recruited from the competitive scene to work on the gameplay mechanics. Sounds promising in that regard, at the least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4