• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Will Not Be Origin Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
I can give you a 95% guarantee that Faye will be in it someway. There's no way the film can pull in that coveted young male audience without without the 3 most important action flick trio: violence, cool cars/machines, and scantily clad hot chicks.

Oh Gods.
I just had a horrible vision...
Spike<->Faye Love Interest.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't be anything new. The reams of awful Bebop fanfiction out there already do that, so what'd be so shocking?

I also had a brilliant idea: have Reeves do the lines like usual, then, in post-production, add in lines recorded by Steve Blum instead. Hey, they re-dubbed Schwarzenegger's lines in early movies...
sykoeent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE! Ken Watanabe as Jet!!!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I also had a brilliant idea: have Reeves do the lines like usual, then, in post-production, add in lines recorded by Steve Blum instead. Hey, they re-dubbed Schwarzenegger's lines in early movies...

Ha, they would be interesting. Plus they already did it for Jet Li in "The One". Evil Jet Li was redone by a different voice I believe. Even though the trailer has Jet Li doing the voice.
sgtZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
There's hope a "multi ethnic" cast means we'll get to see the whole Bebop crew. Maybe some glorious eye candy to take the pain away of hearing Neo complain about dogs, kids and women.
rekoloki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Well this is just me throwing it out there, but i would love to see Reeves try and do some of those fights. Remember, Spike can basically do a split with a drop kick. ooooh, the fun.

Also starting with the Red-Eye plot line is a great Idea, If the movie is a hit, then they can easily branch off into the rest of the storyline. And maybe make one of those horrific Trilogies out of it. Besides we have run of them ex (x-men, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, Star Wars I & II, Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible , and Resident Evil) It would be pretty cool to have a live action anime trilogy....Just a thought...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, this is nothing new in the way of...news. Really. Didn't we already know this would be en media res?

No, Reeves talked about an "origin-story obligation" as recently as last month. What's new is this move away from an origin story angle.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-17/keanu-reeves-hopes-to-star-in-live-action-cowboy-bebop

Ah, I see. Well, I'm glad I didn't read that, it would have annoyed me. The other approach makes more sense, as learning about Spike through his resigned present-day attitude is far better than seeing him starting from the mafia origins, wherein he was probably crazed, excitable, and naiive, not the worldly-wise devil we know and love already...and we may not see anyway, given that Reeves is playing him.

Quote:
Oh Gods.
I just had a horrible vision...
Spike<->Faye Love Interest

Naw, that's a given. I will be extremely impressed and surprised if that does NOT happen, not if it does.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping the film would revolve around Ballad of Fallen Angles with all the awesome music and opera and all that, but maybe next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Aw man, I was looking forward to Jet offering Neo-Spike a choice from the red pill, blue pill and mushroom.

(Can you tell I'm oh so excited for Keanu Reeves? *rolleyes*)

Actually, now that you mention it I kinda like the idea of Laurence Fishburne playing Jet.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that there letting Watanabe read the script.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
What actually makes CB unique (well, ONE of many things) is that there really was no romantic chemistry between the main character and the sexy femme. I know they'll probably Hollywoodify things to pander to the crowd that expects a thrown-together romance in an action flick, as I imagine they'll hook Goku and Bulma up (even though she married the angry short guy in DBZ).
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
No, no we have not. As long as Keanu is alive we will bash him uncontrollably.

AAAA-Mennn!!!

(<----pulls out long Pocky bat and starts swinging)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
What actually makes CB unique (well, ONE of many things) is that there really was no romantic chemistry between the main character and the sexy femme. I know they'll probably Hollywoodify things to pander to the crowd that expects a thrown-together romance in an action flick, as I imagine they'll hook Goku and Bulma up (even though she married the angry short guy in DBZ).

NO romantic chemistry? Heck yes, there was, it was just all one-sided. Poor Faye. "Bang."
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Nevermind me, just removing a bit of of "flub".

Anyway, I do hope that there isn't any romance in this movie. Certainly not between Faye and Spike. A romance sub-plot would detract from the characters, detract from the action, and probably be real cheesy, hammy, or any other negative food-related adverbs you can think of. And that's before we factor one Keanu Reeves in the main role; he is so wooden it could be classified as torture. And I say this as a The Matrix fan. So sad.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
The angry short dude I meant was Vegeta, as he is her husband in the DBZ canon. You know, "OVER 9000!!!!" guy.

EDIT:

JesuOtaku wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

NO romantic chemistry? Heck yes, there was, it was just all one-sided. Poor Faye. "Bang."

I guess...too bad Spike was still all emo over Julia who was also banging Vicious at the time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8