• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Will Not Be Origin Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Neither does Whedon. Laughing And if it's not an argument, then why am I not alone on that subject?

I've read the entire thread, and I still don't understand why you are talking about Joss Whedon. As far as I am aware, he has had nothing to do with Anime or Manga at all, let alone a live-action movie based off one. Let alone a possible Cowboy Bebop remake.
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, I think the I, Robot guy could do Bebop right.

One problem. Alex Proyas declared he would never direct a Fox film again due to the terrible experience he had while directing I, Robot.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Why does everyone have to knock on Speed Racer?
Have any of you even seen it in theaters?

In glorious IMAX even! Laughing
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
bleuster wrote:

Did your eyes and brain refuse to speak to you for a few months after that? Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Batman: Well, comparisons between other live-action properties are inevitable.

reko: Actually, it made most of its money back. But, yeah, as I said in another thread, anime needs to expand in order to prosper, since it's suffering from too many free-loaders ATM.

dtm:
Quote:
I've read the entire thread, and I still don't understand why you are talking about Joss Whedon. As far as I am aware, he has had nothing to do with Anime or Manga at all, let alone a live-action movie based off one.

Well, almost nothing. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
People who say Firefly is a rip off of Outlaw Star are the same people who like to say that Evangelion is a rip off of Space Runaway Ideon.

Firefly has a couple of things in common: People in space and a girl in a box. That's it.

Firefly is actually far better written and less irratic and reliant on stylized space battles than most space-oriented anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
People who say Firefly is a rip off of Outlaw Star are the same people who like to say that Evangelion is a rip off of Space Runaway Ideon.

Actually, it's a rip-off of Patlabor, Akira, and Guyver.

Quote:
Firefly has a couple of things in common: People in space and a girl in a box. That's it.

Well, it also has enough in common with Bebop to make up for the differences...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
penguin:
Quote:

Actually, it's a rip-off of Patlabor, Akira, and Guyver.

Quote:

Well, it also has enough in common with Bebop to make up for the differences...

You're exaggerating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Weren't you also claiming that the Disney Atlantis movie was a rip-off of Nadia nearly a decade ago?

Because it's hard to believe you'd keep on going with this "Firefly is an Outlaw Star ripoff" thing. You may as well be posting All Your Base image macros at this point man.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
And yet, GATSU doesn't mention that Cowboy Bebop is a "rip off" of several Hong Kong "heroic bloodshed" action films (specifically A Better Tomorrow and its sequel), Westerns, and all sorts of other miscellenous elements that were borrowed, and where themselves borrowing from other things that were borrowing.

What's next, the Yoko Kanno "plagarism" accusations?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Weren't you also claiming that the Disney Atlantis movie was a rip-off of Nadia nearly a decade ago?

Because it's hard to believe you'd keep on going with this "Firefly is an Outlaw Star ripoff" thing. You may as well be posting All Your Base image macros at this point man.

I'd ask you if I could keep him as a pet, but I was thinking about keeping MarioICANTCOUNTTO7, as well.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
bleuster wrote:

Did your eyes and brain refuse to speak to you for a few months after that? Wink

A group of my friends dragged me to it. They ended up treating me to martinis (several) afterword as an apology. It still didn't erase the horrible experience from my memory.

I may be alone in this but I am partial to Keanu . . . not necessarily as Spike, but I will judge after I have seen the movie.

edit: I'm easy to please. I am content with anything anime/manga related that makes it to the US from a more exposure point of view
(excepting the above movie!)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:

And that's suddenly changed since then? Rolling Eyes

penguin:
Quote:
And yet, GATSU doesn't mention that Cowboy Bebop is a "rip off" of several Hong Kong "heroic bloodshed" action films (specifically A Better Tomorrow and its sequel), Westerns, and all sorts of other miscellenous elements that were borrowed, and where themselves borrowing from other things that were borrowing.

Watanabe's more honest than Whedon. I mean, when you have to steal a "Han shoots first" scene to get attention, well, that's the sign of a real hack. And yes, I'm aware half the characters in sci-fi anime have light-sabers, but at least the writers generally try to expand the material beyond low-budget geek wannabe.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU, I honestly believe you still haven't seen a single episode of Firefly. I had the same feelings about the show until I actually saw it and saw how different it is from a lot of science fiction programs and how honestly better it is. And even if it's a "rip off", as you believe, it's probably a lot closer to Cowboy Bebop than we'll get with this live-action movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8