• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Will Not Be Origin Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I can catch it for free on Hulu, but I didn't feel that impressed by the concept in general, as it looks like a Sci-Fi Channel filler show.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
I have high hopes even more now. While I don't fancy Fox much, beggars can't be choosers.

Remember, the anime industry is not in the best state of late, so any money that it can get from this live action version can only serve to help the anime industry in general. Like I said before, if things go well, we might end up with a second Bebop tv series, something I'm sure we all want to see.

Its all very well some anime fans getting in a tizzy about this film, like its the Second Impact or something. However, films like this are a positive way of showing what anime can be and welcoming new potential anime fans. Anime needs something with substance like Bebop, to wave its flag, like Sin City or Road to Perdition did for american comics.

Sure, it could go wrong, but some positivity would better serve the anime industry, than damnation. Cowboy Bebop and Battle Angel are the best selections with the most potential (from a story perspective) to show what anime can do, if done properly.

I was scared when they were going to reboot Batman (after Tim Burton's effort), Sin City and Watchmen. All these are cool films.

Keanu being an anime fan, alongisde japanese involvement, will help him portray Spike as good as he can, possibly more so than an actor that doesn't know the source material. If he speak to any of the CB voice actors, that would help. He can also fight.

As for supporting actors, I'd say Jodelle Ferland (Silent Hill, Kingdom Hospital) or Dakota Fanning as Ed (choices are limited with child actors), but both of them are the right age at 14. Some suggested Kate Beckinsdale as Faye, but also think Monica Bellucci could also work, with that killer cleavage, and having worked with Keanu before. Johnny Depp would be a cool vicious choice. He hasn't played a bad guy in ages. As for Jet, I'd say Mickey Rourke (he has they worn look) or Vin Diesel.

As for Julia, Uma Thurman or Daryl Hannah perhaps.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Wah... so many people interchanging the notication of inspiration or influnenced by with plagarism and rip offs.

D**n you Hollywood writer, producer, director, book author, comic artist, etc for being influcenced by something cool or interesting you saw or read about and wanting to do your own version. D**n you to hell!

D**n you Disney for using the idea of a mystic person with a mystic jewel with connections to a hidden mystic civilization. Something like that has never been done before.

Anyways I can't see the cast of Cowboy Bebop going beyond Spike, Jet, Faye and some of the villians. I like Ed and all but I can't see that working until a sequel unless they can tie in the Drug based storyline with a Computer Hacker based storyline which would be more appriorate way to bring Ed into a movie. Do you really need a hacking genius to help you find a drug trail when working the streets seems like a more effective and realistic method since those gangster don't want to leave a trail? I say the should focus on the major characters that personify the show and not worry about other characters until a sequel if any.

Although it would be cool to see that crazy guy in the top hat and all those guns as a villian. He doesn't fit into the Red Eyes storyline but he would be a great villian in general. That's like Heath Leger Joker level of creepy right there.
errantrogue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Do you really need a hacking genius to help you find a drug trail when working the streets seems like a more effective and realistic method since those gangster don't want to leave a trail?

nope... all you really need as a 2-min sequence with Keanu's stomach growling, a preggers lady with a bag full of groceries, and an age old pickpocketing bump and fall.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka:
Quote:
Anime needs something with substance like Bebop, to wave its flag, like Sin City or Road to Perdition did for american comics.

Yes, but it needs directors with the talent and respect for the material which Sin City and Perdition got.

Tatsu:
Quote:

D**n you Disney for using the idea of a mystic person with a mystic jewel with connections to a hidden mystic civilization. Something like that has never been done before.

Not through them, anyway. Rolling Eyes
errantrogue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yes, but it needs directors with the talent and respect for the material which Sin City and Perdition got.

and you're saying its not getting it here?
rekoloki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Johnny Depp would be a cool vicious choice. He hasn't played a bad guy in ages.

OOoowa, that would be a good Vicious choice. The only hard part would be getting him to do it. He plays the pretty boy too well, But he is a good actor and could fit the persona perfectly!

But, like we would get what we want anywho lol...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
errant: Well, I know DB's not getting it. Time will tell with Bebop.

As for Vicious, get Asano.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
errantrogue wrote:
nope... all you really need as a 2-min sequence with Keanu's stomach growling, a preggers lady with a bag full of groceries, and an age old pickpocketing bump and fall.

Heck yeah errantrogue. That is all you need. That's intewining destinies right there. Don't need no computer hacker for that.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac:
Quote:
Weren't you also claiming that the Disney Atlantis movie was a rip-off of Nadia nearly a decade ago?

And that's suddenly changed since then? Rolling Eyes

I wish Marc Hairston's "Nadia vs. Atlantis" article would still be online somewhere .... just to kill off this stupid rumor once for all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they'll deal with the space gates and the hyperspace jumps between them. Also, the Bebop itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wonder how they'll deal with the space gates and the hyperspace jumps between them. Also, the Bebop itself.

The space gates should look pretty snazzy, no doubt. With a decent Hollywood budget, they're no technical challenge. Not even with a decent TV budget these days.

The Bebop...hm. You know, I always liked what Watanabe (was it him or someone else on staff?) said about the ships in CB. He was referring to the truckers in ep. 7, but it applies to the Bebop as well. The ships are like a little microcosm of a home for people who have no home to go to, or have to be away from it for whatever reason. The Bebop has all the trappings of a big old spaceship, but it feels like a house. There's the living room where the kids lounge and smoke, the kitchen where the single parent cooks, and a hallway between them. People sleep any old where. Even though we know there are dozens and dozens of compartments on Bebop, most everything happens in these areas. (Although Jet's makeshift bonsai garden has a charm to it.) The darker corners like the corridors we explore in "Toys in the Attic" are those basement places you're scared to go into as a kid, and the little ships are like the crew's fancy (or beat-up) cars that they drive back and forth, sometimes drive out with a slam when they're angry, but they always come back to this substitute "house" where they're always welcome, even if nothing happens and the place is a mess.

Well, that was schmaltzy. Basically what I'm saying is that the Bebop doesn't need to feel like a fancy ship. It isn't like most space adventures in that regard. It needs to feel like a dumpy house just outside of the burbs on the inside, with all the trappings of a spaceship but none of the high-tech spirit. Firefly had sparse elements of that, but it needs to be even more like a beatnik apartment than that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

I wish Marc Hairston's "Nadia vs. Atlantis" article would still be online somewhere .... just to kill off this stupid rumor once for all.

It's still up on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
The article fails to mention that Streamline released Nadia on VHS a few years before Atlantis; so I highly doubt that the Disney animators could be familiar with anime in general and not have seen even the covers for the show. Also, considering that Disney ripped off Cagliostro with The Great Mouse Detective, it's highly doubtful that anyone there had only heard of Miyazaki through Princess Mononoke-especially since Totoro was on VHS around that time, too. And the fact that Mike Mignola works at a company which had manga fans-as-translators leaves the possibility that he might have at least some familiarity with anime himself.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
...except The Great Mouse Detective was based on a children's book series, Basil of Baker Street, and also drew inspirations from Sherlock Holmes.

Sure, Lion King lifted Kimba's premise wholesale, but most Disney films are based on children's fables (though often sanitized), and the Nadia/Atlantis correlation is still flimsy. Really, Gatsu, it pays to have information to back up your baseless claims. Oh wait, all you do is make proclamations as though they're facts and try to bait people into arguing against you and then rebutting them. Yeah... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8