• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Steven Blum Receives Guinness Record for Game Roles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keikanna44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations Mr. Blum!!! You deserve it truly! Your voice is wonderful! Very Happy
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well deserved I say, what a great honor. Congrats to Steve.
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Here's to loads more roles for the always awesome Steve Blum!
He just looks like a cool guy as well!
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I doubt the Guiness Book of Records knows or cares about foreign 18+ games. So while Blum might not OFFICIALLY have the world record, he has the record for stuff released in America.

Not to mention she uses too many pseudonyms according to that website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
Only 261? Eroge seiyuu Hokuto Minami has over 370 distinct roles to date... >_>
http://beautyplanets.web.fc2.com/VADB/actor/c_0021.html (possibly nsfw ads)

maybe they should change it to "Guinness Book of American Records" rather than "World Records" then. or specify 'American games'.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm still pretty sure Jennifer Hale has done more video game roles than Steve Blum, though this is just a guesstimate.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
zalas wrote:

maybe they should change it to "Guinness Book of American Records" rather than "World Records" then. or specify 'American games'.

Yeah, apparently they also have Simpsons as the longest running animated TV series, when its only 500 episodes... One Piece beats that, and thats not even counting the long shows like Doramon and Suzae San which have like 3 times that in Japan.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
zalas wrote:

Yeah, apparently they also have Simpsons as the longest running animated TV series, when its only 500 episodes... One Piece beats that, and its not even counting the long shows like Doramon and Suzae San which have like 3 times that in Japan.

There is a difference between longest running and most episodes. To wit:

One Piece
October 20, 1999 – present (13 years this October)

The Simpsons
December 17, 1989 – present (23 years this December)

(N.b. The above dates are Wikipedia grade information, but they're doubtless close enough to make the point, even if they're not exactly right)

And it's irrelevant, because the record holder is in fact Sazae-san, which has been airing since October of 1969 and has somewhere north of 3,660 episodes, thus handily winning by both measures.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
zalas wrote:

Yeah, apparently they also have Simpsons as the longest running animated TV series, when its only 500 episodes... One Piece beats that, and its not even counting the long shows like Doramon and Suzae San which have like 3 times that in Japan.

There is a difference between longest running and most episodes. To wit:

One Piece
October 20, 1999 – ongoing (13 years this October)

The Simpsons
December 17, 1989 – present (23 years this December)

And it's irrelevant, because the record holder is in fact Sazae-san, which has been airing since October of 1969 and has somewhere north of 3,660 episodes, thus handily winning by both measures.

I did do research, and saw it here: http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/Guinness_World_Records

Maybe I didn't do it thoroughly enough, but that did tell me it holds the Guinness record for longest animated TV show.

-edit- Seems you took the research part out of the original post, but my point still stands. I didn't just make up something without looking it up first.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that Guiness World Records is a more authoritative source on Guiness World Records than a wiki that anyone can edit without even logging in.

Current Simpsons records: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Search.aspx?q=simpsons
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Mr. Blum has always been one of my favorite voice actors, and it was only a matter of time before he got recognition for his extensive work in the game industry. Hilariously enough, I just spotted his voice as a guard while playing the 2009 "Chronicles of Riddick" game a few minutes ago. xD

Same here. In both anime and games he's done such amazing work. When I heard him as Grunt in Mass Effect for the first time I didn't recognize it was him at all! (I pride myself on that for a lot of series and games)

And now he's playing Amon in the new Avatar show, ratcheting up the epic factor of its already impressive VA roster.

Sincerely and most heartfelt congratulations, Mr. Blum. You deserve it.
marie1901

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
He so deserves this! Very Happy
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
zalas wrote:

The GBOWR Gamers Guide is really messed up to say the least. There are so many errors and so many "questionable" entries, one has to wonder if Guinness can be trusted anymore. One has to be how they handle the "most cosplayers in one place" record. The first attempt, they "cheated" by dressing up a bunch of schoolchildren as Mario. And I question why a British Con gets a record while that record is easily broken by the USA and Japan yet are disqualified for "technicalities" and ignorance.

Plus I miss how the original Guinness would be crammed full of lists of the most miniscule record. Now it's too many pics, too little records (text).
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Mission accomplished, Heartbreak One. Cool
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I have a feeling that Guiness World Records is a more authoritative source on Guiness World Records than a wiki that anyone can edit without even logging in.

Current Simpsons records: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Search.aspx?q=simpsons

"LONGEST RUNNING SITCOM (EPISODE COUNT)"

Wouldn't you call Sazaesan/Doraemon/Shin-chan a 'sitcom' as well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4