• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However GTO Early Years isn't... So no license rescues.

Aw, also no titles that slipped under the radar the first time around? Something like Immortal Rain? It meets the other criteria...

Oh well, I'll keep dreaming.

In any case, I'dd love to read and own Princess Jellyfish and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou in English.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
It makes me sad that Nodame isn't higher up that list. I've voted for a few things. I wish Kids on the Slope wasn't Shogakukan or that Viz would get it...

fingers crossed they put it out when the anime comes over as thats already licenced.

Seems viz has their big fat inert ass on most of the titles id want and vertical got stonewalled over vinland saga.
Ensof

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
I created a Facebook account just so I could vote. Encouraging seeing some of the titles that are polling well, but disappointing to see Billy Bat so far down the list. Once 20th/21st Century Boys ends next January, it might be some wait until we see anything new by Naoki Urasawa in English again. I can’t really see Viz releasing Yawara!, Master Keaton or Happy!.

I added The Hour of the Mice to the list. I’m a big fan of Kei Toume, but there has been nothing of hers in English since Del Rey finished releasing Kurogane five years ago.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
Seems viz has their big fat inert ass on most of the titles id want and vertical got stonewalled over vinland saga.

There has been so much speculation about why no one has licensed Vinland Saga (or that someone is possibly sitting on the licence) that I have no idea what to believe. Maybe it’s simply that none of the publishers think it will sell well? The fact that Brian Wood’s Northlanders will finish at 50 issues due to poor sales suggests that Vikings don’t necessarily sell. Mind you, the stories that made up Northlanders varied wildly in quality, while Vinland Saga is consistently excellent, so that’s at least one advantage the latter has.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Wow, lots of really great choices there. Voted Viking Saga, but Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou would be great too. I'm Not Popular getting so many votes is kinda surprising. It's an okay title, but not something I'd like to see licensed before so many better choices.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Deb Aoki on twitter summed up the "No" list:
No Go Nagai.

Haven't said a thing about all of Go Nagai. But he has rejected our previous requests.

So no hope for Devil Man or Violence Jack? Sad
Is it just you though, or is he generally opposed to his manga being licensed? Because that would certainly explain a few things.

Also, this is propably a stupid question, but is there any hope at all for Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo Saga? It's on the top of my 'Impossible Licenses' list.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
well there are "better choices" i agree but i voted for "its not my fault im not popular" because i would like to get it as I've been enjoying reading it but i made sure to vote for the other stuff i like too (wich vinland saga was the main one but vertical have been rejected for it already).

Basically its a popularity contest because they are looking to get stuff that sells.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:

I'm not a GTO reader (yet), but I also hate seeing a series get bailed on. Are you guys hopefully going to release Early Years through the final volume, or is the upcoming vol. 13 the last one? I know there's listings for 14 and 15 on RightStuf right now, but I figure it's worth asking.

If the author sold us the rights we'll finish the series. So Early Years will be finished. But the print run will not be very large. So get it when it comes out. There'll most likely not be a second printing.

Quote:
Also, if I wanted to help support an ailing series (like the aforementioned Lychee Light Club or No Longer Human), where's the best place to buy it? Amazon, RightStuf, the Vertical Store? What's the most likely place more sales would get noticed by the powers that be?

Barnes Nobles or Books-a-Million... Then amazon. But seriously, you'll need hundreds of friends to join you to really make a difference for NLH or Early Years.

Even all the Twin Spica ruckus only resulted in a bump of an average 28 sales per volume. (with most of the movement from the later volumes.)[/quote]
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
So no hope for Devil Man or Violence Jack? Sad
Is it just you though, or is he generally opposed to his manga being licensed? Because that would certainly explain a few things.

No idea. Obviously we can't speak for other companies.

Quote:
Also, this is propably a stupid question, but is there any hope at all for Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo Saga? It's on the top of my 'Impossible Licenses' list.

Not at this time. Especially given the publishers and those issues with Dynamic Pro.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Can't vote in the poll since I don't use FB but since a Vertical rep is reading this poll count me in for a vote for Chihayafuru.

Also a license rescue for Nodame Cantabile would be splendid.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the top suggested series I'd prefer to see Vinland Saga, but I thought that was stuck in licensing limbo. Second comes YKK, but I know Ed's not a fan and I don't see it happening ever. I mean sure I come across a lot of wintered manga fans that love it, but alas those alone do not justify a license. A manga kickstarter for this one wouldn't be a bad idea, though...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
id totally support a kickstarter of many manga im interested in. Like i said before ed says they asked about licencing vinland saga and were told no. I really dont get what the licence holders are up to with that one.

I can wait though, i got enough stress hunting down copies of air gear and MPD psycho and kurosagi corpse delivery service. Wish i had a better comic book store near me but theres only a tiny one and they've had the same manga on the shelf for the last decade and mostly deal in US comics.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Can't vote in the poll since I don't use FB but since a Vertical rep is reading this poll count me in for a vote for Chihayafuru.

Facebook it's really my kind of thing either, so for what it's worth, I really want Princess Jellyfish. I would also love to see Nodame Cantabile be rescued, I've been wanting to read YYK since forever and Chihayafuru sounds really good. As does It's not my fault I'm not popular. And Aoi Hana...

And I swear, unless I suddenly go blind or become homeless, I will buy these manga!

Quote:
I can wait though, i got enough stress hunting down copies of air gear and MPD psycho and kurosagi corpse delivery service. Wish i had a better comic book store near me but theres only a tiny one and they've had the same manga on the shelf for the last decade and mostly deal in US comics.

Maybe I can help? I'm good at finding OOP manga for decent prices Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Rammsoldat - I think Forbidden Planet here has some Air Gear still. Which volumes are you after and I'll see if they have them? Also, how difficult is it for you to get to Manchester? The Forbidden Planet there is huge... There is an entire basement full of manga and there's also a smaller comic store not too far away.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
So anyone else vote for Aoi Hana? Considering the anime left a pretty gaping hole on the story in the end, I would like to see how it continues.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So anyone else vote for Aoi Hana? Considering the anime left a pretty gaping hole on the story in the end, I would like to see how it continues.

If I used FaceBook, I surely would. If it's at least as good as Wandering Son, then it would be really great to be able to collect it in English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24