• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Necropost' and flooding

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I was advised to come to the ANN Feedback section to raise any concerns I have over this issue here.

Basically, since (if I remember correctly) yesterday -- about 24 hours ago -- dtm42 started catching up with news from two months ago and posting on the threads relevant to his / her interest.

The issue that I have with what dtm42 did isn't so much about resurrecting old threads, it was the sheer volume of old threads dtm42 pushed up. It was very annoying to open the first page of the forum and see almost all of the new threads knocked down and more than ten old threads brought to the top of the first page because dtm42 had a personal opinion to add to the old thread. (And it was not just ten old threads, dtm42 would comment on many things, then take a break, then come back again to comment on many things, until he or she was done with the two months' worth of catching up.)

So, essentially:

1. I know that necroposting happens and people rarely are annoying about it, but I think there should be something set about the number of times it is done, because I felt that what dtm42 did was just flooding the first page with old posts. If nothing else, it's just really annoying for other users.

2. I was told that a two-month old post isn't considered a necropost. I think this should be shortened for Talkback, because a lot of the stuff in Talkback are responses to the News updates. IRL, news that is a week old is old. I realize that the time frame can be lengthened for fandom stuff, but a two-month old news article really is...old, even if it is for fandom material.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate what you're doing here, and I'm grateful that you're all chipping in your time and effort to make a good place for the English-speaking anime fandom.

Best regards.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree. If it had been one or two posts, or even just five, whatever. But this was dozens and dozens of old posts, and in Talkback, this was annoying, since basically a bunch of old April news got pushed to the front page.

I saw Tony K locked one, so I thought the matter was going to be taken care of, but I guess not.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I concur as well. It was a little bothersome because of the volume. A handful of comments on stories that were of particular importance or that invited worthwhile comment would have been fine, but dredging a lot of threads up for fairly ordinary reasons amounted to something of a nuisance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn has asked me to slow down and I have agreed that I will. There are still more threads I want to catch up on, but I will do it at a much slower pace than before. This will prevent a "flooding' situation from happening again but still allow me to (over the course of a few days) finally catch up on everything.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It is out of the ordinary, and I have advised the user that this best be a one time only deal. Technically no rules were broken as the posts were on-topic and relevant, and the threads were not really old enough to be considered necroposts. However, spamming and trolling does violate the rules, so we will keep an eye on it. Obviously the "catching up" claim will no longer apply, so if the behavior continues the intention will be clear and action will be taken as necessary. At this point we'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that this is a one time thing and not habitual behavior, but we will keep our eyes on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If you get banned again dtm42 and I ever, ever see you flood the Talkback forum like that I will make the ban permanent. Period.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Keonyn made himself quite clear to me in his Private Message, and I have already told him that I will not do so in the future.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Thank you everyone. Smile

And I apologize for bickering on the board -- next time, if I encounter something that I think needs mod attention, I'll know how to handle it better. Smile
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing about something called "necroposting." As I've said before,if anyone wants to add anything to an old post of mine,they're more than welcome to do so. I have no problem with it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've been hearing about something called "necroposting." As I've said before,if anyone wants to add anything to an old post of mine,they're more than welcome to do so. I have no problem with it.

Yes, you already said this in the Necropost thread above. You don't need to remind us.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one laughing really hard at every Snomaster1's comments on feedback and the kind of replies they attract. People who lack this much perception are so rare. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1