• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-01-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

There was a time that it was Ninja Scroll or Ranma 1/2 (my anime-oblivious college dorm got addicted to that). Something universally relatable without knowing too much about Japan.

Ninja Scroll is one of the movies that got me interested in anime, because I couldn't believe you could get that much sex and violence into a cartoon. It may look a little dated and unsophisticated now, but back then it was awesome. It's also fairly short. I'd bet that the vast majority of average young guys who don't watch anime would enjoy it.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I am personally quite pleased by the prospect of the Japanese making anime for the Japanese, and not really caring about what the American audience is into. I mean, not to sound condescending, but isn't this sort of the reason what we as anime fans are watching anime? Because it's different from American based animated shows? If the Japanese start making shows with Americans in mind, then, I think, their shows suffer from things like a narrow focus and serious censorship, which is what the American animated shows suffer from. If the anime is made by Japanese for Japanese audience, then we as fans who are watching anime because it's different will benefit.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
TBH, I could care less if it's culturally-inclined towards their specific country. I watch anime to be entertained and because it dares to do things most American cartoons aren't ballsy enough to attempt. The cultural aspect doesn't matter to me, so long as the show is an entertaining ride.

I'm not knocking the Japanese culture, I'm just saying that I feel that anime can have a universal appeal to it and be just as entertaining.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
TBH, I could care less if it's culturally-inclined towards their specific country. I watch anime to be entertained and because it dares to do things most American cartoons aren't ballsy enough to attempt. The cultural aspect doesn't matter to me, so long as the show is an entertaining ride.

I'm not knocking the Japanese culture, I'm just saying that I feel that anime can have a universal appeal to it and be just as entertaining.

not only american cartoons, but also just American TV shows are not ballsy enough to do, what is shown in anime.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, since America is scared that what's shown in anime will "affect their children". Honestly I get so tired of that whiny pansy line.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
You guys must not watch a lot of American TV if you honestly believe anime does 'ballsy' things American shows don't or haven't ever done.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I wish American cartoons had the guts to show blood, character death, or use the occasional swear word. But no, kids can't handle that, which is why they had to cut the hell out of One Piece originally, right? Rolling Eyes
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Since butterflies are aesthetic and have a short lifespan, they also fit naturally with the Japanese concept of transient beauty (mono no aware) that is epitomized by their symbolical use of sakura petals. I believe every instance of butterflies I've seen in (non-comedic) anime was in a poignant context. Otherwise, butterflies representing rebirth is pretty universal, not just in anime or the East.

As to anime targeted at the West, I've said before I'm more interested in seeing anime made for the Japanese because of the eastern viewpoint and cultural differences. That's primarily why I got interested, because it's different and because I am much more oriented to the East philosophically so it resonated. Obviously, having mature themes helps, which the U.S. doesn't do. I own Fritz the Cat and Heavy Metal, and it pretty much stops there. Aoen Flux technically qualifies, but was created by a Korean. Please don't anyone mention South Park...

Gonzo, I take it, was known for skewing things in our direction or at least considering foreign tastes in their productions in the past few years. It's been said they are rethinking that viewpoint after Strike Witches was such a success, it ranking around 9,986 in a list of 10,000 anime with potential wide appeal to R1 audiences while setting records for sales (for them) in Japan. British TV has been mentioned as a cautionary tale regarding anime, the opinion being that the boom in those shows fizzled when they began to pander to the U.S. market.

If what is produced is just American entertainment with an accent, then it's competing with our own productions in content. I suspect that most anime fans are not big fans of average American TV or movies anyway. When I think of U.S. live action, I don't feel a desire to see it in animated form.
underbase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I wish American cartoons had the guts to show blood, character death, or use the occasional swear word.

Hehehe. I take it you've never seen Transformers: The Movie. Smile

*sigh* Poor Ironhide. Poor Optimus Prime. Poor...basically every other character in the movie. I swear, that movie has a higher body count than Hamlet.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
You doubt my having seen Transformers the Movie? Lookie my avatar, yo.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You guys must not watch a lot of American TV if you honestly believe anime does 'ballsy' things American shows don't or haven't ever done.

Family Guy, South Park, Drawn Together, etc? Yeah, but how about something that isn't aiming for the toilet humor crowd?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Zac wrote:

Family Guy, South Park, Drawn Together, etc? Yeah, but how about something that isn't aiming for the toilet humor crowd?

He said 'not just American cartoons, but American TV shows'.

Which I guess would be true if you don't ever actually watch American TV.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
From what I have gathered from various Japanese sources and Japanese observers...

A 2ch poster recently summed up in general what factor primarily determines the success of a television animation (anime) series in Japan:

1. Golden time (prime time) anime - television household audience ratings

2. Morning and late afternoon / early evening anime - merchandise sales (e.g., toys)

3. Late night anime - DVD sales

With a low, declining birthrate, an aging population which will likely shrink in the future, and the growth in the variety of media and entertainment, among other things, anime increasingly will take a backseat to news programs, variety shows, and live action dramas on mainstream television in Japan.

With few exceptions like Sazae-san and perhaps Chibi Maruko-chan, the elderly in Japan generally do not watch anime on television. Japanese teenagers and adults prefer to watch live action stuff (news, variety, drama, etc.). Children have been - and continue to be - the largest group of viewers for anime in Japan.

In Japan there are less children around today than in past generations. And Japanese children today, I have read, watch less anime than did Japanese children of yesteryear. (A Japanese source cites the Nintendo Wii as one cause.)

Japanese companies frequently target niche anime titles at male otaku - and increasingly at female fujoshi - because they can make money off them selling DVDs (and Blu-ray discs) and other merchandise (figurines, character goods, drama CDs, games, etc.).

EDIT: The supposed movement of Conan and Yatterman on NTV to Saturdays, 6 PM and Sundays, 7 AM, respectively, is bogus information based on an altered news article scan.

I have removed the fake news article pic from this post.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:32 pm; edited 8 times in total
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Zac wrote:

It's the live TV part that's questionable. Ever since All in the Family, TV has occasionally had balls, and then there was Twin Peaks. Sherilyn Fenn in a brothel about to be done in prime time by her dad pretty much torched the rulebook.

For animation I agree, despite the toilet shows.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Zac wrote:

He said 'not just American cartoons, but American TV shows'.

Which I guess would be true if you don't ever actually watch American TV.

Ruling out episodic crime shows, Reality TV, and sitcoms, the only good shows on tv are Battlestar Galactica and everything on the movie channels(HBO, Showtime, cinemax and stars).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5