• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Game Show Bros 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, so no one has seen anything they like from Kickstarter? I'd like to see what they've seen.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
A grand total of 1 character was called into question. I could easily list another 12.

2, actually, and there's more we could pick apart but we just focused on two. What would be the point of listing more if they'll just be flawed examples?

Again, why is Yuna in X-2 bad? Or are we to take your silence as you conceding to the point made.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
animehermit wrote:
A grand total of 1 character was called into question. I could easily list another 12.

2, actually, and there's more we could pick apart but we just focused on two. What would be the point of listing more if they'll just be flawed examples?

Again, why is Yuna in X-2 bad? Or are we to take your silence as you conceding to the point made.

Just because I haven't addressed it, doesn't mean that I concede. Even then, Again, I could still list more. Hell I still have at least 2 fighting franchises I could list.

She makes a 180 personality shift over the course of 2 years, it's a completely unrealistic character shift. She went from a shy, timid girl. To a girl performs pop songs in front of thousands in skimpy outfits.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Just because I haven't addressed it, doesn't mean that I concede. Even then, Again, I could still list more. Hell I still have at least 2 fighting franchises I could list.

Speaking of fighting franchises for that matter, why is Sakura? Or Juri?

Quote:
She makes a 180 personality shift over the course of 2 years, it's a completely unrealistic character shift. She went from a shy, timid girl. To a girl performs pop songs in front of thousands in skimpy outfits.

Not really. She lived a sheltered and secluded life knowing her fate and destiny, but was able to overcome it in the end and be able to live the life she wanted, because she grew stronger over the course of the first game. The second game is her for the first time being able to do what she wanted rather than what she had to do.

Besides, Spira is a hot topical planet. It's why the guys walk around in skimpy outfits too. Half of them don't even wear shirts like Chappu or Wakka, or leave them gaping open like Seymour.

It sounds like you have a problem with females being attractive given this statement and your last statement on the Eternia characters. Criticizing a woman for how she looks or dresses is more sexist than anything else. Do you also say any woman who wears a dress sets women's rights back 50 years?

spoiler[Besides, that wasn't Yuna singing that concert in the opening of the game, it was someone else framing her. It sounds like you never actually played the game.]
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Speaking of fighting franchises for that matter, why is Sakura? Or Juri?

Can you seriously list any distinguishing features about either of them? Any particular character traits?

TitanXL wrote:

Not really. She lived a sheltered and secluded life knowing her fate and destiny, but was able to overcome it in the end and be able to live the life she wanted, because she grew stronger over the course of the first game. The second game is her for the first time being able to do what she wanted rather than what she had to do.

Yeah she gained some strength learned to live her life on her own terms. That doesn't give the writers free range to completely rewrite her entire character because she changed some. It wasn't a natural change at all.

TitanXL wrote:

It sounds like you have a problem with females being attractive given this statement and your last statement on the Eternia characters.

I love the taste of words in my mouth, keep feeding them to me.

I don't have an issue with sexy characters or sexuality in games, so long as it serves a purpose beyond giving boners.

TitanXL wrote:

Criticizing a woman for how she looks or dresses is more sexist than anything else. Do you also say any woman who wears a dress sets women's rights back 50 years?

You talk like these are real people, and not fictional characters.

and yeah, I have played it.

What about the other concert scene? Hmmm?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Does it really matter which part of the game industry is the worst when it comes to sexist portrayals of women? Well, I guess it does to some, but regardless, I don't think counting the number of good and/or bad portrayals of women in Japanese games and comparing them to western games will work.

For one thing, I think that Japanese games have more female characters in general than western games. Could be wrong about this, but if I'm not, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Japanese games have more good and bad depictions of women as a result.

In addition, not all bad (and good) portrayals are equal.

@animehermit

I'm not familiar with some of a lot of your examples, but it seems that some of your complaints focus on characters who aren't developed well, or who go through what you consider to be unrealistic character development. While I certainly wouldn't consider these characters to be great examples of strong female characters, how are they examples of sexist portrayals of women? Am I missing something?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Does it really matter which part of the game industry is the worst when it comes to sexist portrayals of women? Well, I guess it does to some, but regardless, I don't think counting the number of good and/or bad portrayals of women in Japanese games and comparing them to western games will work.

For one thing, I think that Japanese games have more female characters in general than western games. Could be wrong about this, but if I'm not, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Japanese games have more good and bad depictions of women as a result.

In addition, not all bad (and good) portrayals are equal.

@animehermit

I'm not familiar with some of a lot of your examples, but it seems that some of your complaints focus on characters who aren't developed well, or who go through what you consider to be unrealistic character development. While I certainly wouldn't consider these characters to be great examples of strong female characters, how are they examples of sexist portrayals of women? Am I missing something?

The discussion has been about bad female characters, from a sexist or just from a bad writing perspective. I've actually been making the same point you have. While arguing against Mr. Weeaboo up there.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

The discussion has been about bad female characters, from a sexist or just from a bad writing perspective.

It was? I thought we were discussing portrayals that were sexist or demeaning in some way. I mean, if one includes characters who simply weren't developed well, even Samus (even before Other M) would count.

I certainly don't think Samus is a bad female character though. (Once again ignoring Other M, which I have yet to play but not heard good things about) She wouldn't top my list of strong female characters precisely because she isn't super developed, but she's still a mostly positive portrayal of a woman I think.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
animehermit wrote:

The discussion has been about bad female characters, from a sexist or just from a bad writing perspective.

It was? I thought we were discussing portrayals that were sexist or demeaning in some way. I mean, if one includes characters who simply weren't developed well, even Samus (even before Other M) would count.

I certainly don't think Samus is a bad female character though. (Once again ignoring Other M, which I have yet to play but not heard good things about) She wouldn't top my list of strong female characters precisely because she isn't super developed, but she's still a mostly positive portrayal of a woman I think.

Samus is an interesting character, and Metroid and interesting game series. It's really more of a story through gameplay, I would say that Samus is a good character, she fit the universe well and certainly wasn't a bad character.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Can you seriously list any distinguishing features about either of them? Any particular character traits?

I could.

But more importantly, I'll echo Mad Scientist. Are you saying your dislike with these is the 'lack of character' or is your dislike the 'bad written character'. They're two differnet things. Since you didn't explain that Sakura and Juri are 'poorly written' or 'bad characters' I can only conclude your problem is you think they have no character. They have more character than pre-Other M/Fusion Samus, that's for sure.

"Lack of character" is cheating, since it lets you list summon monsters like Shiva, or one-shot bosses like Yunalesca. By that logic, the amount of no-name no development soldiers in CoD4 you kill are terrible characters for men.

Quote:
Yeah she gained some strength learned to live her life on her own terms. That doesn't give the writers free range to completely rewrite her entire character because she changed some. It wasn't a natural change at all.

How is it not? Just because you yourself don't like it? That's what I'm getting here.

Quote:
You talk like these are real people, and not fictional characters.

You can't judge fictional people on their appearance but turn around and say you wouldn't do that to real people either. In the context of these universes, they are real people with personalities, drives, and goals, and you must analyze them as such. Again, judging a woman by how she dresses is petty objectification.

Quote:
What about the other concert scene? Hmmm?

1000 Words? You mean the scene that is considered by the bulk of the fandom to be the most beautiful and touching scene in the entire game, if not the entire franchise? I fail to see how that is some kind of negative mark on Yuna's permanent record.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

You can't judge fictional people on their appearance but turn around and say you wouldn't do that to real people either. In the context of these universes, they are real people with personalities, drives, and goals, and you must analyze them as such. Again, judging a woman by how she dresses is petty objectification.

This is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. We should judge fictional characters as if they were real people. So when people start to win arguments against you, do you always turn it around to make them sound sexist?

The more I read your refuse the more I see that you are nothing short of weeaboo that makes the entire fanbase look bad.

By all means continue to spout off your refuse you call arguments, but i'm done doing this petty shit.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
So when people start to win arguments against you, do you always turn it around to make them sound sexist?

When you make sexist comments like judging girls for how they dress as the key point of your argument, then yes, I will call you out on it. Just like I had to point out multiple times now about how you conveniently keep ignoring counter points when you have no rebuttal for them (and it's not just me doing it either). Not to mention calling people names and using ad hominems. These are all the typical signs of someone backed into a corner with no argument and looking for an out.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

This is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. We should judge fictional characters as if they were real people. So when people start to win arguments against you, do you always turn it around to make them sound sexist?

Seriously, are you even paying attention to the discussion at hand?

Quote:
The more I read your refuse the more I see that you are nothing short of weeaboo that makes the entire fanbase look bad.

Weeaboo has been invoked. All your arguments are now invalid.

Quote:
By all means continue to spout off your refuse you call arguments, but i'm done doing this petty shit.

And you aren't even bothering to argue at all, just asserting and insulting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
They both have problems, but they aren't quite the same problem.

I don't actually disagree with this. It seems silly to say that the two industries are literally identical in their problems. There are certainly some slight differences.

What I find frustrating is when people like TitanXL insist that Japan doesn't have any such problems. That's the main claim I'm trying to combat here.

Quote:
Japan, almost despite itself, actually manages to put out games with strong female leads. Yeah, the costume design is fetishized, and you can make hay out of what the actual intent was, but in the end, Atelier Totori is the story of a girl who wants to be an Adventurer, and the trials she and her friends undergo on the way there. She makes it on her own merits, by her own strength.

I can't speak to that game specifically. I haven't played it. I would agree though that Japan certainly has somewhat more female leads but as a trade off, those female leads, while sometimes still more or less strong, are also fairly problematic for the reasons you touched on.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Meanwhile, the latest Tales convention in Japan was dominated by fujoshi.. especially the character popularity polls.

With the amount of polls fujoshi seem to hijack, I think we have some equal opportunity objectifying going on here. Razz

They took over Comiket last year with their Tiger & Bunny stuff too.

Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Well, so no one has seen anything they like from Kickstarter? I'd like to see what they've seen.

The big thing about Kickstarter these days seems to be the huge Women VS Tropes controversy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igXz_hXKUcE

Last edited by lostrune on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9