• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Game Show Bros 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
My $.02: lots of people, East and West, have a warped sense of what a "strong female" is, let alone a regular female. No one's got a monopoly on that nonsense.

Eh...to be honest, I'm inclined to think that Japan's collective women issues make the west look relatively tame. Not that the West doesn't have major issues as well of course or that the various misogyny in anime in any way mitigates those western issues.

I just think it's stupid how a guy like TitanXL always pops up like clock work whenever there's a chance to shit on anything western. Yet he'd also be the first one to try and defend anything Japanese for it's blatant mysoginy. It's really dumb.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
You're projecting pretty hard from a simple line like "The Tomb Raider trailer just shows how these video game devs are dumb at this, aren't they?" Doesn't exactly prove to be a good track record for them since this is literally the fifth or so reboot of this franchise in an attempt to 'fix' her. Because she needed fixing apparently according to them.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Eh...to be honest, I'm inclined to think that Japan's collective women issues make the west look relatively tame. Not that the West doesn't have major issues as well of course or that the various misogyny in anime in any way mitigates those western issues.

Not that Japan is perfect on women issues (it oh so most certainly is not), but within the particular niche we are discussing here, I can point to a dozen+ anime and Japanese games featuring or even starring strong, independent female characters.

Its much, much harder to do the same with western animation or videogames.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
You're projecting pretty hard from a simple line like "The Tomb Raider trailer just shows how these video game devs are dumb at this, aren't they?"

Well for starters, no...

The line that made me roll my eyes was the next line:

"Hollywood/Video Games have such a warped view of what a 'strong female' is."

Ya just can't resist pissing on Hollywood eh? Rolling Eyes

And by the way, I'm "projecting" from the fact that you do this shit on a daily basis. Laughing
wintersnowgust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Ah, I finally caught up with the most recent podcast. You know, I've wanted to comment for quite some time but I started at the first podcast. Then when you click the comment it notes something like "you know this is 8 months old now" or whatever. ...

Anyhow, it might just be me but I'm kind of lazy so I haven't seen any of the trailers for the new GTA even though I plan on pre-ordering it. But, I think there GTA needs those ring cycles like the ones in Men in Black 3.

I mean it's basically just a fancy motorcycle but when you hit something instead of almost committing suicide you stay on the vehicle and either fly off way backwards or roll overtop of your average smaller car.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
There is not a single moment in any Gameplay trailer that insinuates or hints at the fact that Lara Croft would get raped that ludicrous.

Also I love how we always clamour for brand new IP's and when one shows up that actually has potential to be something great we bash on it! Nice going Gamers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
My $.02: lots of people, East and West, have a warped sense of what a "strong female" is, let alone a regular female. No one's got a monopoly on that nonsense.

I just think it's stupid how a guy like TitanXL always pops up like clock work whenever there's a chance to shit on anything western. Yet he'd also be the first one to try and defend anything Japanese for it's blatant mysoginy. It's really dumb.

I think Japan only appears worse because you're so used to the western shit. i.e. when you see something sexist in something from Japan, it surprises you more and isn't sexist in the ways you've been seeing since you were a small child, so it appears worse. I think the US and Japan are just as bad, just not in the same ways.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Well the metrics of equality has a bunch of basic numerical values that can be research can bring up next to all this perceptions we're talking about. So stuff like education rates, income, those in executive positions, and other stats.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well for starters, no...

The line that made me roll my eyes was the next line:

"Hollywood/Video Games have such a warped view of what a 'strong female' is."

Ya just can't resist pissing on Hollywood eh? Rolling Eyes

Of course you should mention Hollywood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_Croft:_Tomb_Raider

It was one of their reboot attempts, after all.

Though I never got what was so wrong with the Legend/Underworld continuity. Seemed.. decent. Nothing great, but all the reboots seem pretty ridiculous and unneeded. Does the license keep changing hands or something?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Not that Japan is perfect on women issues (it oh so most certainly is not), but within the particular niche we are discussing here, I can point to a dozen+ anime and Japanese games featuring or even starring strong, independent female characters.

Agreed. I find JRPGs the best examples for video games since they tend to be the most story-focused genre out there (excluding visual novels, of course) and flesh their characters out substantially. Most of my favorite video game girls come from them.

kiddtic wrote:
Also I love how we always clamour for brand new IP's and when one shows up that actually has potential to be something great we bash on it! Nice going Gamers!

New IPs are overrated anyway.

A good game is a good game. Does it matter if it's called Existing IP 43 or New IP 1? How many sequels does it take before the new IP is no longer accepted and treated like black sheep like everything else?

Especially if it's something like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy where, despite being in the double digit installments, changes settings and characters between each game, so those are hardly 'stale' or repetitive when it's something new each installment. If they took Xenoblade and billed it as the next Final Fantasy, would it be any worse of a game just because it's now part of an existing IP?
daveriley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
kiddtic wrote:
There is not a single moment in any Gameplay trailer that insinuates or hints at the fact that Lara Croft would get raped that ludicrous.
In many cases where people complain about the treatment of female characters in video games you have to talk about tonal stuff and metaphors: things that apologists dismiss as flimsy or irrelevant.

No so with Tomb Raider! Here is 15 seconds of Lara Croft getting sexually assaulted in the E3 trailer:

http://youtu.be/5gHSEU6d9kc?t=2m14s

And it's not just about her being molested: that is some serious male gaze shit going on there, dude.

In fact, we just posted an article on the topic on our very website! Maybe that would interest you!

http://www.daveandjoel.com/?p=4748
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I truly don't get the hate for Luigi's Mansion. That is a great game. It has wonderful art design and a great atmosphere. The gameplay is fun too. It's as much a puzzle game as an action game.

Yeah, I feel the same way about that game. Maybe it's really just nostalgia like Zack says, but I thought the atmosphere of the game really nailed a fun but spooky feel, and it was actually fun and challenging to figure out how to defeat the different ghosts. Plus, I just like Luigi in general. But yeah, I'm probably buying a 3DS soon and I'm partially motivated by Luigi's Mansion.

I'm also looking forward to Watch_Dogs, although I think that's partially just because I get really excited when a game allows me to be some sort of super hacker. It's a narrative kink of mine I guess?

As for the Lara Croft thing...ICK. I was already a little iffy on what they were doing with the franchise but I think my interest in it is completely gone after watching that trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
kiddtic wrote:
In many cases where people complain about the treatment of female characters in video games you have to talk about tonal stuff and metaphors: things that apologists dismiss as flimsy or irrelevant.

No so with Tomb Raider! Here is 15 seconds of Lara Croft getting sexually assaulted in the E3 trailer:

http://youtu.be/5gHSEU6d9kc?t=2m14s

And it's not just about her being molested: that is some serious male gaze shit going on there, dude.

In fact, we just posted an article on the topic on our very website! Maybe that would interest you!

http://www.daveandjoel.com/?p=4748

"Well, she didn't actually get raped, so I don't see the problem with this" - every dumbass on the internet
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah should've asked this: Who here bought into any Kickstarter games and are looking forward to them?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Who would you point to, especially in terms of game characters? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm curious who you'd choose.

Quote:

If you're strictly comparing animation I might agree. Although that's a rather skewed comparison. There's simply so much more anime out there than western animation. (And while anime certainly does hit some nice highs when it comes to female characters, it also hits some unbelievable lows).

I really don't think it's that hard to point to strong female characters from western games though.

Just off the top of my head:
-Jade (from Beyond Good & Evil)
-Samus (excluding Other M of course which incidentally was made by a Japanese studio)
-Pretty much any Mass Effect or Dragon Age character.

Zac wrote:
"Well, she didn't actually get raped, so I don't see the problem with this" - every dumbass on the internet

Can you elaborate on what you do see as the problem with this? I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Just off the top of my head:
-Jade (from Beyond Good & Evil)

From like a decade ago

Quote:
-Samus (excluding Other M of course which incidentally was made by a Japanese studio)

Who until Other M barely had a personality

Quote:
-Pretty much any Mass Effect or Dragon Age character.

Good choices, actually.

Just off the top of my head I'd point to game by GUST, such as the Arland Atelier games and Ar tonelico.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9