• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Game Show Bros 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
She's an avatar. A spirit taking humanoid form, not a humanoid being with human qualities. FF!Shiva is not a good example of poorly represented/bad female characters in video games.

She's an example of blatant over sexualization of female characters.

And in some of the games Shiva is an actual character.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
In which games is Shiva an actual character? Like, with actual character; simply having lines of dialog doesn't count. Because in most of the FF games, Shiva is an ice spirit thing whose visual design is obviously inspired by the human female figure, but is not actually a female character (meaning having any kind of real relevance to the story, having qualities that make her relate-able, or intending to represent a "real" human woman), and thus doesn't fit the list.

I guess by your logic any kind of quasi-humanoid-looking thing with boobs is blatant sexualization of female characters?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
In which games is Shiva an actual character? Like, with actual character; simply having lines of dialog doesn't count. Because in most of the FF games, Shiva is an ice spirit thing whose visual design is obviously inspired by the human female figure, but is not a female character (meaning having any kind of real relevance to the story, having qualities that make her relate-able), and thus doesn't fit the list.

I guess by your logic any kind of quasi-humanoid-looking thing with boobs is blatant sexualization of female characters?

VI and VIII actually give her a character. It doesn't really matter that she doesn't have a character though, her sole purpose is to titillate male audiences.

But what's the point of attacking one character in a list of 36? I could easily list more as well. I don't really see the need to nitpick.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
VI maybe, but VIII? I played VIII twice and don't consider Shiva a character in that game; not any more than any other avatar, which is to say not at all.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter that she doesn't have a character though
But it does. If Shiva isn't a female character in the context of what this whole conversation has been about (video games' treatment/representation of women [not things that look kind of like women but obviously aren't actually meant to be women]), Shiva doesn't belong on the list.

Quote:
I could easily list more as well. I don't really see the need to nitpick.
No doubt there are plenty more candidates for that list. I'm just trying to figure out why you picked Shiva because you basically slipped an alien into a list that was otherwise full of humans. That's all Very Happy
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
No doubt there are plenty more candidates for that list. I'm just trying to figure out why you picked Shiva because you basically slipped an alien into a list that was otherwise full of humans. That's all Very Happy

I included her because she is blatantly pandering. She is designed to appeal to a male fanbase.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Veers wrote:

I included her because she is blatantly pandering. She is designed to appeal to a male fanbase.

Do you agree with the following analogy? Just curious.

Bikini cleavage = blatantly pandering = designed to appeal to a male fanbase

I'm not just asking about the specific character you and Veers are discussing at the moment, I'm curious about your view on sexualization in general, and how that contextualizes your whole position in the debate.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
animehermit wrote:
Veers wrote:

I'm not just asking about the specific character you and Veers are discussing at the moment, I'm curious about your view on sexualization in general, and how that contextualizes your whole position in the debate.

Depends on the character. In the case of Shiva it is. There is no reason she has to be designed in such a way. I'm not against sexuality in games, but it should be used in way to inform us about her character.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:

Also, while there are certainly problems with female costume design in anime/games and the like in general, the automatic disregarding of any character who wears a skimpy outfit is lazy and allows you to avoid the real issues at hand with sexism and misogyny.

Its like what I was trying to say in regards to Gundam AGE vs. Queen's Blade Rebellion in a previous thread. Both shows have problematic depictions of women, but I find Gundam AGE's to be far more damaging and offensive, when actually put into the larger context.

animehermit wrote:

Depends on the character. In the case of Shiva it is. There is no reason she has to be designed in such a way. I'm not against sexuality in games, but it should be used in way to inform us about her character.

She's a goddamn ice elemental. She's not a character.

Here, have an Ifrit, "Package" and all.

You are well and truly eliding the point.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Veers wrote:

I give up.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

She's a goddamn ice elemental. She's not a character.

Here, have an Ifrit, "Package" and all.

You are well and truly eliding the point.

I wasn't "eluding" any point you were trying to make as I wasn't addressing any point you were trying to make.

She doesn't have a character, so the the half-naked female appearance really serves no point than to rile up male fantasies.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I'm not against sexuality in games, but it should be used in way to inform us about her character.

I would like to propose to you that the latter half of this statement contradicts the former half. By your own admission, you are against sexuality in games unless it conforms to some preconceived notion of gender you have. This is the same attitude that informs the Real Women Don't Wear Dresses crowd's opinions.

Taking you on your own terms, if this Final Fantasy character's sexualization doesn't inform her character, what is your objection exactly? You're absolutely right that the character is sexualized, but shouldn't a forward looking female character have room to be characterized either sexually or non-sexually, without being penalized for it for not meeting either my OR your expectations of what's proper? Because that's pretty much where you stand.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The sexism in both western and Japanese games is obvious on its face to even the most casual observer.

That you have to spend hundreds of words explaining to people how "the sky is actually green if you think about it because" means you're in denial about it, not that you're more enlightened or "get it" more than everyone else.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The sexism in both western and Japanese games is obvious on its face to even the most casual observer.

That you have to spend hundreds of words explaining to people how "the sky is actually green if you think about it because" means you're in denial about it, not that you're more enlightened or "get it" more than everyone else.

Once again Zac, you have the amazing ability to sum up an argument.

Done.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

She doesn't have a character, so the the half-naked female appearance really serves no point than to rile up male fantasies.

Ok, and...? No one has actually debated this point, its just completely irrelevant, since she's not, as you said, a character. She's a hyper-feminized Ice Elemental, just like how Ifrit is hyper-masculine

Sex and sexuality is not inherently misogynistic!

You might actually have a point if you were to talk about some of the Dressphere outfits in X-2, for example, but as I said, discussion of costume design is EASY MODO for these discussions, and allows people to avoid confronting more complicated issues.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Sex and sexuality is not inherently misogynistic!

It is when it serves no point in the plot, and doesn't help inform her as a character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9