• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Ball Z for Kinect Game's E3 Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is, they pronounced "Saiyan" the way it always should have been pronounced, but people are going to complain that it isn't pronounced right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Why, yes, I would LOVE to become a Super Saiyan. So just SHUT UP AND TAKE MY ZENI!
barrelroller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
The gameplay somewhat reminds me of 2008's Tenkaichi 3 for the Wii. I felt I was only one that was a total badass at that game due it requiring more precise gestures compared to the wagglefest that was Tenkaichi 2.

I stopped playing DBZ Games after Raging Blast was meh, and the demo for it's sequel kept me away from the games ever since. By the time the Kinect is cheaper (I don't want one), this game will probably be $20 or less. I'll play it then. Wink
fsunole90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
i hope when powering up, yelling is required to gain more power, or it just wont feel right standing in that pose without some veins popping out your neck
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
fsunole90 wrote:
i hope when powering up, yelling is required to gain more power, or it just wont feel right standing in that pose without some veins popping out your neck

Well, the Kinect is, after all, a webcam with built-in microphone plus voice commands. Laughing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Probably will only sell as much as the fanbase is willing to pay for it.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
I wonder if I can imitate the Fusion dance in the game.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The funny thing is, they pronounced "Saiyan" the way it always should have been pronounced, but people are going to complain that it isn't pronounced right.

No that's not how it should be pronounced.

I think the people who've been doing the dub for the last decade would know better than you.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
This trailer makes it look so much cooler than you will actually look in your living room. But I can't wait to scream my face off!!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I think the people who've been doing the dub for the last decade would know better than you.

The same people who just make up half the script?

Yeah, really reliable.

No, "Saiya-jin" is pronounced SIGH-A-JIN, which translates correctly as SIGH-AN (Saiyan), not SAY-IN.

They've been pronouncing it wrong for more than a decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
It's like karaoke or any other number of words originally from Japanese that westerners say incorrectly. I don't care, I'm used to the dub way so I prefer it, but I agree that you are right as to the correct Japanese pronunciation.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yeah, really reliable.

No, "Saiya-jin" is pronounced SIGH-A-JIN, which translates correctly as SIGH-AN (Saiyan), not SAY-IN.

No its not, and no they haven't.

But i'll be happy to see some proof that you have that says that is the 100% undeniable way to translate and say it.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
I really dislike the look of this, not for me I'm afraid.
MosesOlsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yeah, really reliable.

No its not, and no they haven't.

But i'll be happy to see some proof that you have that says that is the 100% undeniable way to translate and say it.

If the roomaji for Saiyan is indeed Saiyan then penguintruth is 100% correct. Saiyan is correctly pronounced Sigh (Saw+Ee)-On (or An). "Sigh-on" is the correct way to pronounce it in Japanese. Because they brought it over to North America, they changed the pronunciation to fit more of how we would say it. This doesn't only apply to way words are said but different cultural things as well, such as names.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Quick Japanese lesson:
In the manga, it is written:
Quote:
サイヤ人

The characters correspond to the following sounds:

• == sa as in saw
  • == i as in sigh
  • == ya as yawn
  • == jin as in jeans

Now why the discrepancy? Literally, the translation means a person who originates from Saiya. In the same way, Japanese say that a person who is from America is Americajin. In English, when speaking of a person's nationality, we tend to append an "n" to the place of origin's name if it ends in a vowel; so, a person from America is said to be American. Thus, I guess the decision was made to localize Saiyajin to Saiyan to make it sound more natural to those of us in the west. However, as has been pointed out, it's been mispronounced for quite some time. Perhaps it is just easier to pronounce "saiy" as "say" and tack on the "an" to the end? That's my guess, but the correct way to say it is Saiyajin or Saiyan as outlined above.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1