• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim Saturday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode on CN, and I must say the qality was beyond what I was expecting. Although I hate the fact the credits cut off L'arc en ciel's Ready Steady Go, the timing for the NA logo and text was well-enough. I'm quite satisfied that Funi obtained the footage without the original Japanese text and logo or I would have totally second guess their company even more so. I'm just hoping that Ed's and Al's VAs begin to evolve their voice acting skills. I'm so looking forward to it.
ParukeruBuraian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
Well, the first episode has aired on Adult Swim, and I must say that I found it to be well-done, contrary to fears I'd had previously. When I originally saw the DVD clips available on the official English site, I will admit that I cringed at the sound of the voices on the soundtrack. Guess that'll happen when you go from hearing two Japanese women voicing Ed and Al to English voices of an actual man (for Ed) and a 12-year old boy (for Al).

In the grand scheme of things, the voices were more than tolerable, and I found that I actually even liked them a bit. Ed was much less typical-shounen-hero-esque than in the DVD clips, Al wasn't too immature/young-sounding, so all is good on that front. Rose was a little too brash for my taste at this point, but her development spoiler[(and absence)] from the series will likely alter the vocal performance. The few lines that Lust got sounded good to me as well; "lusty", sultry, and well-casted.

The episode really didn't see much in the way of censorship either; I was quite relieved to see that the blood and grit of the first transmutation was left in. However, I was a little disappointed that the "Equivalent Trade" speech that I came to know and love from the Japanese series was omitted. Sure, it would only serve to make Adult Swim cut more out to fit things into the timeslot, but it was important enough to feature in practically all 51 episodes in Japan.

Lastly, I must admit disappointment at "READY STEADY GO" getting such a diminished presence in the series premiere. Barely half of the song plays, and the accompanying images were a real mishmash from the various OP scenes. Especially now, as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex ends its first episode having the OP and ED relatively intact, it seems as though it wouldn't have killed the Adult Swim TV crew to at least preserve the one "READY STEADY GO" OP animation.

All in all though, much better than I expected from the early previews, and I'm certainly going to be watching every week as I collect the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
The "Equivalent Trade" speech was left in.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching them.

Full Metal Alchemist starts out rather fast and without a complete explaination. I'll probably post an opinion once I've seen more.

The first episode of Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, on the other hand, is very good from the start. Having most of the ADR talent from the movies' back in their roles really does ease you into watching it. The episode reminded me a lot of a kind of futuristic CSI in theme. If this first episode is representative of the series, then it will be a good show, indeed. Very Happy
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quote
ParukeruBuraian wrote:

Lastly, I must admit disappointment at "READY STEADY GO" getting such a diminished presence in the series premiere. Barely half of the song plays, and the accompanying images were a real mishmash from the various OP scenes. Especially now, as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex ends its first episode having the OP and ED relatively intact, it seems as though it wouldn't have killed the Adult Swim TV crew to at least preserve the one "READY STEADY GO" OP animation.

The L'Arc~en~Ciel opening will show up on the second episode (full length). The first episode had to fit the required total run time (TRT). We had to shorten the ending on the first episode to fit the TRT.

Fullmetal Alchemist with full op, episode, full end and preview are 41 seconds over the maximum TRT. So we have to shorten the ending. Just like you saw with GITS:SAC.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:

Having most of the ADR talent from the movies' back in their roles really does ease you into watching it.

I never really liked the voice talent for GitS. If you ever watch it in Japanese and them compare it to the english dub, the styles just don't seem to match the characters IMO.

Glory Questor wrote:
The episode reminded me a lot of a kind of futuristic CSI in theme. If this first episode is representative of the series, then it will be a good show, indeed. Very Happy

Well, there are two types of eps, Stand-alone and Complex. The stand-alone eps (like ep 1 notice on the title screen it said "A Stand-Alone Episode") are episodic and do not deal with the main plot. Complex eps do. Most, but not all of the Stand-Alone eps are fairly decently paced. The Complex eps are sometimes a bit slow, but necessarily so.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, the original end theme there *was* Melissa. To use Ready Steady Go's animation they'd have to redo the credits in it an extra time, since the credits shown in the end theme tend to be a bit more thorough than the opening. I'd assume that Funi has already done this for the DVD release, but doing the extra editing just for one episode airing on tv would be a bit excessive. So they just left the animation as it was, but changed the music to what will be the opening theme for the series as it airs in the US.
ParukeruBuraian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
The "Equivalent Trade" speech was left in.

The part where Ed talks about it in the episode, yes. But, unless I zoned out and missed it, the voice-over by Al with the changing photos on the bookshelf was left out. Not the biggest deal in the world, I know.

lheiskell wrote:
The L'Arc~en~Ciel opening will show up on the second episode (full length). The first episode had to fit the required total run time (TRT). We had to shorten the ending on the first episode to fit the TRT.

Fullmetal Alchemist with full op, episode, full end and preview are 41 seconds over the maximum TRT. So we have to shorten the ending. Just like you saw with GITS:SAC.

I noticed GITS:SAC had its ending shaved off; so for episode two of FMA, "READY STEADY GO" will start the show in full form? Or will it end the show and be slightly longer? What will be the episode end, if "READY STEADY GO" starts it, that needs to be shortened?

ACDragonMaster wrote:
Well, the original end theme there *was* Melissa. To use Ready Steady Go's animation they'd have to redo the credits in it an extra time, since the credits shown in the end theme tend to be a bit more thorough than the opening. I'd assume that Funi has already done this for the DVD release, but doing the extra editing just for one episode airing on tv would be a bit excessive. So they just left the animation as it was, but changed the music to what will be the opening theme for the series as it airs in the US.

Indeed, and nobody will ever know how upset I was watching the series through the first time and having "Melissa" suddenly uprooted as the OP. Definitely took me a long time to get over that.

What I was getting at (and now that I know the full song will appear in episode two) is that hopefully, for the TV airing, they just preserve the "READY STEADY GO" OP and animation. As far as I remember, it wasn't that spoiler-y, so there shouldn't be any real worry there. And after all, the DVDs will have all of the OP and ED movies (and maybe the music videos of the actual bands as extras? *hint hint hint* - I've seen the videos for "Melissa" (weird Sleepy Hollow/Johnny Depp homage), "READY STEADY GO" (really well-filmed typical rock-esque video focusing on eyes), and "Riraito" (Asian Kung-Fu Generation is so dorky, what a funny video).

In the grand scheme of things, as I've said, I'm left feeling very pleased about how the series made the transition as far as things will be done on the DVDs. I don't think I'm the only one who had fears about the voices from the clips, and I'm glad that my mind has been changed about it now. The only complaint that I still feel bad about is the "READY STEADY GO" deal, because for a band that generated so much US buzz this year, they really got shafted on the premiere of the show that they basically represent on our shores. Personally, I would've loved for Adult Swim to have gotten the rights to air "READY STEADY GO" live from Otakon (was it?) from L'arc~en~ciel's upcoming DVD release; could've started the "time slot" a little early to fit it in or something.

Wishful thinking, through and through, but the show itself was preserved, so I'll stop complaining about the music for now Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SasukeUT83

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 am Reply with quote
The speech that All makes about equivalent trade does not come in till the second episode, or has it been that long?
ParukeruBuraian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quote
SasukeUT83 wrote:
The speech that All makes about equivalent trade does not come in till the second episode, or has it been that long?

Shocked

I just recently got rid of my source stuff, so I can't check up on that with any sort of accuracy; I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the first episode though.

My bad...
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't come until the third episode.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I am a lot more impressed with the series than I thought that I was going to be. The entire opening sequence was very well done, and I honestly did not notice a single edit in the first ep.

I'll admit that I did not really like ed's voice at first, but as the ep went I realized that he was actually a pretty good VA. The only complaint that I have...and this is really minor...is that at some points Al's voice was a little bit too quiet. So much so that I could not really hear or understand what he was saying. Everyone else sounded very good in the first ep though, and I'm really looking forward to hearing Roy, Hughes, and Scar's voices.

~LoneWolf
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well nice to hear some good comments off of the first FMA ep. Like many I'll be buying the DVDs perhaps when they reach the u.k, but I doubt if we'll see a great anime show like FMA over here. If it's all good i'd like to see it and say thanks to CN.

We are only just getting Adult Swim over here, (starts this month in fact) but what they'll put on it is anyones guess. I hope they do use FMA at some point, but I know we'll most likely have to wait ages. I really don't need to see anymore reruns of DragonballZ Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.

I have to agree with some of you about ''Melissa OP'' though, it's clearly the best of the four OP themes. Why not ask CN why they changed them round and if "Melissa" is gonna come later on in the series.

Yes I admit I was sceptical about the CN FMA dub, but it's only because as a fan I care. I'll look forward to sampling the dub on the DVDs in the new year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Well nice to hear some good comments off of the first FMA ep. Like many I'll be buying the DVDs perhaps when they reach the u.k, but I doubt if we'll see a great anime show like FMA over here. If it's all good i'd like to see it and say thanks to CN.

Actually, the Adult Swim idea was canned. But it doesn't really matter - they were only planning to air comedy shows anyway.

You guys really need to start being more vocal to Turner UK! Apparently it's pretty easy to get in contact with their reps... you should let them know that there is an audience for mature anime like FMA on Toonami UK and that the AS comedy shows should just go to CN UK.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Heh...I think the translation in itself was QUITE impressive this time.. (especially after that incredibly painful experience with Detective Conan).

Almost all of the differences were too minor to tick me off, except...

Al's voice. Should. Die. (Ed wasn't that great either, but SHEESH.)

Al doesn't even sound like a 10 year old (at the beginning). He sounds 6 or something. That kinda made the whole Fullmetal and big bro/little bro jokes die out.

If Al had been given a better voice, I might actually watch this in English. (prolly not, as that's WAY past my curfew). But literally--and I'm not making an obsessed fangirl ramble-complaint--Al ruined the entire experience.

...that, and the fact that Ed can't make any short jokes funny. Ah, shame.

-Mina
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3