• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in the Philippines.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulietMoppet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, as much as I like Charmaine Cordoviz, Klariz Magboo, etc., they're just trying to copy the English dub. If they did a Tagalog dub based on the original Japanese show, maybe that would be interesting. Tagalog dubs based on U.S. English dubs seem like they're missing something. I'd rather watch Power Rangers in English than Tagalog, but I'd really prefer Tagalog-dubbed Super Sentai.

I dunno what made you say that, but my brother and I watch Pokemon on GMA almost everyday, and Klariz Magboo & the other cast of the Tagalized Pokemon sounds very different from the English dub. I certainly feel that her Ash is more dynamic and natural, and yes, even cuter with more of a funny personality. Razz The English Ash Ketchum sounds like she's having a hard time maintaining her 'boy' voice. It's very awkward to listen to after awhile. Even Brock, Misty and Professor Oak sound very different. The only ones who sound close to the American dub are Team Rocket. But other than that everything else is different. Especially Gary Oak in Tagalog, which is closer to the Japanese dub and much more suited to his personality and good looks, than the English one where he sounds terrible. Crying or Very sad The only thing I didn't like in the Tagalog version before was the script, but now that they're in season 5, with May and Max, it's very noticeable that the script has improved a lot. Very Happy
boogiecat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
The english dubs of Pokemon is obviously not similar to the Japanese dubs cause i've read in a game magazine before that producers of that dubs wanted thier dubs to be different and not sounded like that Japanese dubs and they've got no intention of copying it entirely..And they've did a great job on it at least on seasons 1 to 8 of Pokemon english dubs..

Many still prefer the english dubs at least in my observation,the tagalized dubs still needs more improvement..I hope QTV 11 would air the english dubs of Pokemon if they can do that... Wink

BTW Seto no Hanayome on Hero TV was really funny..A must watch!! Laughing
jstrahan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
There have been a lot of pages to this thread and I might have missed something. But, where can I buy Tagalog dubbed DVDs of anime. I have a ton of English titles and, since my wife is from Leyte, I thought that it would be nice if I could find some.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Tagalog-dubbed anime is on TV only. No DVD releases. There was a VCD release of Ragnarok the Animation's Tagalog dub; English-subtitled VCD was also available. I'm guessing the local companies only license broadcast rights, though we did have a whole bunch of local English-dubs that went straight to VHS/VCD back in the nineties, when anime on local TV was almost all Tagalog-dubbed.
coolkid3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I still prefer the English subs over the Tagalog dubs (i love hearing the dialogue in Japanese - sounds cooler)... True enough, there are cases that the Tagalog dubs make the lines funnier but there are times when the comment seem to be deviating from the storyline...

There are also cases wherein you hear the same voice from one anime to another... And the most annoying of all is when the main character's voice change in the middle of the series...

But still thanks to the local TV network for showing some great anime series. I just hope Death Note wouldn't be dubbed in Tagalog cause I know I'll be disappointed (but still I could be wrong!)

Just a little inquiry, is there a Tagalog dub for Ouran HSHC?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry for bumping this thread, but just need to tell that ABS-CBN is doing great this 2010 for showing Gintama and Busou Renkin (on Feb. 7) and acquiring Soul Eater, Bakegyamon, etc. Also, kudos for QTV for being able to show Hayate, and Aria (although there was a miscast on the choice of dubbers for Aria). Oh! By the way, Gallery Fake will be shown on Studio 23 next week.

TV5 and GMA, where are you (Never mind, just ignore GMA)? I think TV5 has a crapload of anime shows they haven't yet shown or finished broadcasting (i.e. Haruhi, Toradora, FMA:B)

Oh! And by the way, ABS-CBN is airing an original Pinoy animation which is Super Inggo, and I heard that it fared better in the ratings.
pinoiBIGscientian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Also, ABS-CBN Animation department has recently made a Facebook fanpage dedicated to bringing updates and listening to the views of the... uh, viewers. It's "customer service," if you can call it that way.

TV5, on the other hand, has just been bought by communications tycoon Manny V. Pangilinan. After a year and a half of boldly premiering one anime title after another (Code Geass, Haruhi Suzumiya, Shakugan no Shana, and ToraDora, just to name a few), the future of anime on Channel 5 remains uncertain. Or is it?

@coolkid3, not one network has managed to pick that title up. But I'm hoping that ABS-CBN/HERO would acquire it.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
well yea mention phils anime world give info these days from

abs-cbn doing ok with their anime but bring back pm anime

gma (or should i call them now Going Messed-up Anime) really no longer worth my watch since keep screwing with the anime & focus of those ratings & phils tv shows yea gma is boring.

tv5 seem bit quiet for now just waiting something to see

hero tv of course prob is got is scked line-up & current showing of anime really bring some well known anime & new hits
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
And by March, a lot of new anime titles debut on Philippine Television:

Aria (Jan - QTV)
Negima (Jan - Studio 23)
Busou Renkin (Feb - ABS-CBN)
Princess Ressurection (Feb - ABS-CBN)
D. Gray Man (Mar - TV5)
Lucky Star (Mar - TV5)
Soul Eater (Mar - ABS-CBN)

It seems that TV5's initiative during the last 2 years paid off. And GMA? Forget it!
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

D. Gray Man (Mar - TV5)
Lucky Star (Mar - TV5)

im really surprised that tv5(formerly known as abc 5) started to pick up really good anime series now. i think its great, i never had the chance to look at it now since i can only watch local shows on TFC & GMA Sad Sad Sad
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
And by March, a lot of new anime titles debut on Philippine Television:

Aria (Jan - QTV)
Negima (Jan - Studio 23)
Busou Renkin (Feb - ABS-CBN)
Princess Ressurection (Feb - ABS-CBN)
D. Gray Man (Mar - TV5)
Lucky Star (Mar - TV5)
Soul Eater (Mar - ABS-CBN)

It seems that TV5's initiative during the last 2 years paid off. And GMA? Forget it!

yea GMA aka Going Messed-up Anime is already gone in terms no longer an anime worth channel with way there doing to anime no anime fans would GMA ever again.

GMA r.i.p. 2010
coolkid3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping that TV5 or ABSCBN2 would get the rights of my all time favorite anime series Detective Conan... Episodes after the 3rd season or so doesn't have Tagalog dub...

With the recent acquistions of local channels, I'm still hoping for the Suspense genre to be considered by these local channels... Specific series in mind are Monster, Death Note and Welcome to the NHK... I used to think that DN shouldn't be dubbed locally but I had the change of heart cause I would wanna try my luck and be L's voice actor...
Skull Leader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, TV5 got the popular and long running anime-adapted manga, Golgo 13 to air on Mar 25, primetime. Golgo 13 is a unparalleled professional sniper who gets his man everytime, anywhere. He even draws some comparison to James Bond for his exploits with action and women.
billyshears

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I work for a company that wants to acquire rights to anime shoes like Naruto and Bleach - do you know who the local distributors are for anime type of content? Is the deal done through Sony Pictures? Animax? Thanks!
ilovecedie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
hello everyone!!! can anyone please tell me where i can watch "CEDIE LITTLE PRINCE"? please please please...it showed on here but i couldnt watch it. help??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11