• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ichigo Mashimaro Encore Video Anime's Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping more OVA episodes means that Funimation will finally pick up the OVA license, as a follow-up to the TV series, which they presumably still have through Geneon.

I'm looking forward to the new episode, but I do find it a bit curious that the character designs make the girls look even younger than the TV series, when the second and third episodes of the first OVA series actually made the girls, especially Miu and Chika, look slightly older, with smaller eyes and slightly more adolescent proportions. And, assuming the info in the ANN encyclopedia is correct, the character designer is still Kyuuta Sakai, so it's not like the younger appearaces can be chalked up to a different artist's take on the same characters.

Hmm... Chika and Miu getting younger... The Curious Case of Miu Matsuoka?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they're FINALLY coming out with volume 6 in February. I have been waiting so frickin' long for that volume to come out. That's the problem with bi-weekly/monthly magazines. You never know when they're going to publish the next volume. Heck I've been checking for Hellsing volume 10 and I haven't heard high or low at all.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
looks just as good as before, but like others said they do look younger...and i was suprised to see what looks like a panty shot on Miu...or it could be her sock, hard to tell when im half awake. anyway, cant wait for this OVA

edit:was finally able to pause it and yep, that's a panty shot on Miu
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
looks just as good as before, but like others said they do look younger...and i was suprised to see what looks like a panty shot on Miu...or it could be her sock, hard to tell when im half awake. anyway, can't wait for this OVA

edit:was finally able to pause it and yep, that's a panty shot on Miu

So....... make them look younger plus a panty shot..........
I question the sanity.......... Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Finally, finally... if we can't have a second TV season, then we need more OVAs. About one a month for the next ten years would be nice. I get happy just seeing them again.

The skirt lift was more blatant to me, a bit surprising, and it would be criminal if they go ecchi in this. But I really can't imagine it happening. The next step in that direction is Kyou no Go no Ni, but that means adding male characters...OH! Maybe the old man is really a dirty old man Smile
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Did Miu gain wt? Her face looks fatter. Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier; I saw the opening sequence a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see Nobue wearing a high school-type uniform.

I know Nobue is still a teenager in the manga, but, in the anime her age was raised to 20 to get around restrictions against showing underage characters smoking. It would be kind of retcon to have her be a teenager again in the anime continuity, so I hope the high school uniform is just cosplay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The skirt lift was more blatant, but also in line with Miu's character so I just take that as a matter of course. Especially because it was Ana who was the victim. I actually had to watch a second time to see what you guys were talking about with the panty shot and yeah it is one, though thankfully brief. I have no problem with panty shots but they don't really work in this series, at least in that context.

I'm a little weirded out by the art style. I prefer how the girls looked in the series over how they looked in the OAVs, though I eventually got used to the OAV designs. This looks different yet again, and while I can't really judge younger-looking versus older-looking, it'll likely take a bit to get used to. I guess we'll have to see how things turn out when we have more than a succession of short clips to go on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
My life will be near complete if they release this in the US with an English dub. Ichigo Mashimaro is one of my absolute favorites. I normally don't read manga and I even read the manga for this. It would make me so very happy to have more (and in English) Very Happy
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier; I saw the opening sequence a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see Nobue wearing a high school-type uniform.

I know Nobue is still a teenager in the manga, but, in the anime her age was raised to 20 to get around restrictions against showing underage characters smoking. It would be kind of retcon to have her be a teenager again in the anime continuity, so I hope the high school uniform is just cosplay.

I'm taking it as the animators giving up the (pretty thin) pretense that Nobue is old enough to smoke legally, since they don't have to worry about TV regulations when doing an OVA.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
I just saw the series recently through Netflix, and I liked it a lot. I also have the manga. There is another volume coming out??? Awesome! As for Hellsing #10, yeah probably next year (knowing Dark Horse)...

Anyways, did Funimation get this??? Cause a Re-release of the series would be nice, and then put out the OVA ASAP.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
As for Hellsing #10, yeah probably next year (knowing Dark Horse)...

Well, first of all the Japanese release has to come out. So far there's been no word about it yet. That's the one that I'm looking for right now. But you're right, as long as the Japanese release isn't out then we won't be seeing the North American release.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
If anyone has read the manga then you would know that the odd panchira should be expected, especially in an OVA. This is Barasui after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Very interesting,though hopefully it'll have a little more fanservice for this series.Yay for strawberry marshmallow fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
This is Barasui after all.

Hmm... come to think of it, why do I get the sinking feeling that it might have been Barasui himself who objected to the "cusp of adolescence" character designs for Chika and Miu in the second and third episodes of the first OVA series?

I found it a quite natural progression as the events of the first OVA series took place roughly a year after the first episode of the TV series, but I guess Barasui would probably rather have these girls exist in a "floating timeline".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1