• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami Joins Bidding for 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh Assets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuranos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope Konami gets it, so that we can finally get an uncensored version of Yugioh.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
So I guess Konami has really had it with the brand being mismanaged over hear. I can only imagine what 4kids antics has done to global sales of the card game.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
So I guess Konami has really had it with the brand being mismanaged over hear. I can only imagine what 4kids antics has done to global sales of the card game.

kuranos wrote:
I hope Konami gets it, so that we can finally get an uncensored version of Yugioh.

Um, no.

Konami are the knuckleheads in charge of ruining the American TCG, and more than likely helped pull 4Kids strings on more than one occasion.

This is just like when Pocket Monsters was taken from 4Kids and given to... Pokemon USA, a company Nintendo of America made to handle the anime here. The dub 'quality' stayed the same in that case, so I imagine it'll stay the same here as well. 4K Acquisition Corp is just Yu-Gi-Oh's own Pokemon USA
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
By mismanaged I mean if this is no longer on TV we'll have our trading card line die and it will cost us.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I hardly care about Yu-Gi-Oh! at all anymore... unless "Season 0" is involved...

Quote:

Konami getting Yu-Gi-Oh! absolutely does NOT mean we will get an uncensored version of the anime...

Quote:
This is just like when [Pokemon] was taken from 4Kids and given to... Pokemon USA, a company Nintendo of America made to handle the anime here. The dub 'quality' stayed the same in that case, so I imagine it'll stay the same here as well. 4K Acquisition Corp is just Yu-Gi-Oh's own Pokemon USA

Good point. The dubbing was given to TAJ Productions and then to DuArt Film & Video when TAJ went out of business. Pokemon's English dub is nothing short of awful now. It's not just the voice changes that bother me... nearly every character, especially the smaller characters, have amateur-sounding voices. It's a shame... the series used to have great voice acting, but many of the show's original voice actors have retired (Brock, James), moved out of the limelight (Misty, Jessie), or have died (Meowth, Mewtwo). If Konami gets the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, then I expect to see something similar happen, with dubbing either moving in the hands of another company and changing ALL the voices, or like Pokemon's case, still use the same talent pool, but switch production to a cheaper studio, resulting in some casting changes.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Dammit Viz Media, bring Yu-Gi-Oh! back home. If there ever was a chance to do that since before 4Kids grabbed hold of the anime before there was a chance of the manga being published here, now would be it. Consolidate the efforts you're putting into other newer series which could be released at any other time in the future into taking back the anime counterpart of one of your classic cornerstone series in this one and likely only opportunity! Mad
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
The name for this subsidiary Konami made is kind of cruel. "4K Acquisition Group"? Jeeze guys, don't make it seem like the only reason you started this branch was to buy 4Kids, lol.

Tenbyakugon wrote:
Dammit Viz Media, bring Yu-Gi-Oh! back home. If there ever was a chance to do that since before 4Kids grabbed hold of the anime before there was a chance of the manga being published here, now would be it. Consolidate the efforts you're putting into other newer series which could be released at any other time in the future into taking back the anime counterpart of one of your classic cornerstone series in this one and likely only opportunity! Mad

They didn't grab One Piece when it was in a similar situation. They didn't grab Dragon Ball Kai, and they didn't grab Toriko. They ain't gonna grab Yu-Gi-Oh! in fact, it's too late. The deadline for bids passed.

yamiangie wrote:
By mismanaged I mean if this is no longer on TV we'll have our trading card line die and it will cost us.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal is on TV in North America. I'd actually be more wary of the series with Konami given they have absolutely no TV background what so ever.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

They didn't grab One Piece when it was in a similar situation. They didn't grab Dragon Ball Kai, and they didn't grab Toriko. They ain't gonna grab Yu-Gi-Oh! in fact, it's too late. The deadline for bids passed.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is still, by far, more popular than One Piece and Toriko in North America, so it makes sense for them to not grab at either of them. It competes well with other major anime, manga, and TCG franchises in Japan, it being a frontrunner in all of those mediums in North America. (And of course, the TCG is still the world's most popular card game.) Funimation laid claim to the Dragon Ball anime YEARS before we saw the first English edition of the manga. It's been at the point where you can't think of Dragon Ball and not think of Funimation.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The name for this subsidiary Konami made is kind of cruel. "4K Acquisition Group"? Jeeze guys, don't make it seem like the only reason you started this branch was to buy 4Kids, lol.

Tenbyakugon wrote:

yamiangie wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal is on TV in North America. I'd actually be more wary of the series with Konami given they have absolutely no TV background what so ever.
Well, if they go in 50/50 with Saban that might not be an issue.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
Well now we know the reason for the stalking horse.

In a perfect world you would eventually see smiling Konami execs signing agreements to license the Yu-Gi-Oh Anime to VIZ / Funimation / Sentai somebody with a good reputation and NA Anime distribution experience.

Saban may eventually end up as the Anime's distributor, but I anticipate they won't be the franchise's owner. Doubt they wanted to be in any case.

Mark Gosdin
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Primus wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! is still, by far, more popular than One Piece and Toriko in North America, so it makes sense for them to not grab at either of them. It competes well with other major anime, manga, and TCG franchises in Japan, it being a frontrunner in all of those mediums in North America. (And of course, the TCG is still the world's most popular card game.) Funimation laid claim to the Dragon Ball anime YEARS before we saw the first English edition of the manga. It's been at the point where you can't think of Dragon Ball and not think of Funimation.

Except for all those people in Canada, and Europe who grew up with an alternate English dub of the show that Funimation had pretty much nothing to do with, and the kids who will also grow up with an alternate English dub of Kai. But who cares about them? Rolling Eyes
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
This just gets more and more interesting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
This just gets more and more interesting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Primus wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Except for all those people in Canada, and Europe who grew up with an alternate English dub of the show that Funimation had pretty much nothing to do with, and the kids who will also grow up with an alternate English dub of Kai. But who cares about them? Rolling Eyes

That would be a personal perspective; that had no immediate connection to the point I proved, so if that's all you got out of that, then give me a break Rolling Eyes
Yugiboy12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It’s not surprising to see exactly why Konami wants to claim the US rights to 4Kids’s holdings on the property. As the Japanese distributor and licensor of the card game, there is value in the rights on the block, In particular, this includes “business relating to and commercial Use of Yu-Gi-Oh!, including the rights granted under the Yu-Gi-Oh! Grant Agreements, all other Purchased Assets relating to Yu-Gi-Oh!, The CW Block and [4Kids'] right to Use and profit from the foregoing and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Related Intellectual Property, the Yu-Gi-Oh! brand, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Productions.”

So, basically, any and all American licensing of the Yu-Gi-Oh! brand and TV series.

Should Konami will, they would have full control of the property in the lucrative western market. And, rather than collecting royalties through various middlemen, they will reap profits more directly via sales of product and agreements via distributors like CW, who airs 4Kids’s programming. Of course, a humorous bit of irony does arise in the situation, as Konami will still be paying licensors TV Tokyo, ADK, and Nihon Ad Systems to use what is, essentialy, their own property. Of course, that’s not entirely true – it still belongs to the parties of TV Tokyo, ADK, and Nihon Ad, as the TV show is a licensed product created by the three current licensors. A Konami purchase, in this case, would instead create a far more interesting path in which money changes hands. Essentially, Konami, as licensor, would pay TV Tokyo, ADK, and Nihon Ad as part of the existing agreements in place. These partners would then take a portion of this payment, and forward it to Konami’s Japanese division, as a cost of maintaining the license and doing business.

Of course, I don’t expect it to get to that point just yet.

Here: http://www.animeherald.com/2012/06/08/konami-enters-bidding-for-yu-gi-oh-assets/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1