• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - All the Gintama In the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
@ Lord Geo: You did an excellent job describing my love for Gintama. Pat yourself on the back~ Anime smile

050795 wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
Quote:
The love triangle is hands down the least interesting part of this show. Worse, it seems like a front hiding a secret fusjoshi agenda.

I've noticed several shows like that this season. It's the reason I couldn't get into Tsuritama, and I suspect it's partially responsible for the 'handsome' character designs in Kuroko's basketball (compared with Tsurikichi Sanpei and Slam Dunk, it's surprising how many attractive young men can be the focal point of a story).

Why do the fusjoshi have to ruin everything for the rest of us?Tsuritama is a really good show but unlike Kids on the Slop (I have had several Um... moments in this show) you have to really have to be delusional to think there is anything but friendship going on there between the male characters. I really want to know when friend of the same gender started always equaling love interest (nothing against yaoi or yuri, but come on people sometime they really are just friends).

Oh boy. We're gonna have that discussion, are we? Evil or Very Mad

1. To Kikaioh There is no Ho-yay in Tsuritama. As a proud Fujoshi, who is also well-inform in real-life LGBTQ issues, I can attest to that. The story of how Yuki eventually blossoms from his shell to become a more self-confident individual is the highlight to the entire series.

2. Kids on the Slope is a based on a Josei manga. You know like, Nodame Cantabile and Antique Bakery, both which have a gay character but they are not the focus of the series. Both shows have a great story, likeable characters, and, in my opinion, are very good shows, just like Kids on the Slope. So what if Kids on the Slope is trying to pander to us fangirls? Would you rather have panty shots of the female characters of the series or have Yurika giggle her breast toward the camera? Razz

Besides, the strength of the series is the friendship among the trio: Karou, Ritsuko, and Sentaro. The fact that Yoko Kanno & Shinichirō Watanabe are part of this series is simply the icing on the cake. So, unless your slasher glasses are on too tight, try to be more open minded about this show.

Also, it's 1960's Japan, for goodness sake. Male friendship was different then from how American friendship is today. :/

3. Kuroko's Basketball.
Honestly, I watch it for two reasons: basketball and fan art. Lots & lots of fan art. Especially from Pivix! :3
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Ugh, unless people report a change in Kids on the Slope's direction, I'll skip out on it. I was planning to watch, but I hate romance.

It's something that doesn't appeal to me at all. I was attracted to the series for its animation, design, and music themes. Knowing it's basically just a love triangle series is disheartening, especially if people who normally would enjoy a romance series are complaining.

I'll watch Tsuritama. It might pander to fujoshi, but if it's canon-wise just friendship, I can handle it. I'm all for gay characters and LGBT rights, but, again, romance.

(Note: I can appreciate a high quality romance series/film/whatever and don't think they're bad or anything; I just don't like them. At most, I like a side-plot with characters I appreciate.)
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
I introduced my dad to Dirty Pair this week(using the OVAs) and he really enjoys it and is looking forward to seeing the movies. You're Under Arrest is also a favorite show with him. Hmmm YUA and Dirty Pair. I think my dad's got a thing for comedic shows with 2 female lead characters.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've reviewed Gintama, up to episode 26 or so, and then I skipped ahead to randomly watch episode 98, which was hilarious. (Too bad that season isn't on DVD, it seemed like a huge improvement over the first season.)
I love Gintama because it's funny, but this film decided to go in another direction. Rather than focusing on humor, it seems as if the makers delighted in finally having the budget to draw some very elaborate fight scenes..

The problem is you skipped to 98. Gintama has a lot of serious arcs. I mean the movie itself is a shortened version of the Benizakura arc.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

(Yeah, I know hating on KotS is unpopular and saying tsuritama is better-well, at least in the relationship developing aspect-is probably sacrilege. There's still a couple episodes of both shows to go off with a blaze of glory!)

Well, i for one agree wholeheartedly. I enjoy both shows but Tsuritama has definitely been more interesting so far.

But i'm gonna avoid the pandering to fujoshi discussion because that's just silly IMNSHO...Rolling Eyes

As for Gintama, the serious parts could be absolutely heartbreaking but in the end, i was always happiest when the next funny arc started because nothing beats Gintama at being funny! Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Watching only the funniest Gintama episodes is hardly a problem! When I was really into the show, I'd go to the List of Gintama Episodes on Wikipedia, look at the episode titles & descriptions (there are more detailed descriptions in each season's link), and pick an episode based on my mood. Episode 98 is part of the "Owee" arch, which pokes fun at video games and gamers. One of my favorite episodes is episode 113, "The Act of Polishing a Urinal is Like the Act of Polishing One's Heart", which is all about the Shisengumi characters cleaning a bathroom (Gintama does lowest-common-denominator bathroom jokes well! Razz Embarassed ). Gintama is a great series to play around in.

I would love it if Kids on the Slope focused more on the platonic relationship between the two main characters, subtext or no subtext. The problem is when the characters start wondering who likes who and angsting about it.

The problem of portraying a platonic friendship in creative works is not relegated to anime, of course. William Deresiewicz wrote an opinion piece on it in The New York Times this past April:

Quote:
"...So if it’s common now for men and women to be friends, why do we so rarely see it in popular culture? Partly, it’s a narrative problem. Friendship isn’t courtship. It doesn’t have a beginning, a middle and an end. Stories about friendships of any kind are relatively rare, especially given what a huge place the relationships have in our lives. And of course, they’re not sexy. Put a man and a woman together in a movie or a novel, and we expect the sparks to fly. Yet it isn’t just a narrative problem, or a Hollywood problem.

We have trouble, in our culture, with any love that isn’t based on sex or blood. We understand romantic relationships, and we understand family, and that’s about all we seem to understand.

We have trouble with mentorship, the asymmetric love of master and apprentice, professor and student, guide and guided; we have trouble with comradeship, the bond that comes from shared, intense work; and we have trouble with friendship, at least of the intimate kind. When we imagine those relationships, we seem to have to sexualize them.

Close friendships between members of the same sex, after all, are also suspect. Even Oprah has had to defend her relationship with Gayle King, and as for men and men, forget about it.

I'm much more likely to encounter a story about a mentor/student relationship or comradeship ("Nakama!") from Japan than from America, but regular platonic friendships are rare finds in media. Ones without any sexual subtext are even rarer. I think the tide is changing a bit with the rise of "bromance" as a subgenre, but there's still a jokey, uncomfortable "are they gay?" subtext in most of those shows and movies.

That said, if you're looking for a show about platonic male friendships with absolutely no sexual subtext, watch tsuritama.

Edited to add: Totally agree, Merida! BTW, Did you see the Gintama arc in which Gin dresses like Phoenix Wright and acts as a lawyer to get Madao out of trouble? It's one of my favorite comedy arcs! Laughing
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Edited to add: Totally agree, Merida! BTW, Did you see the Gintama arc in which Gin dresses like Phoenix Wright and acts as a lawyer to get Madao out of trouble? It's one of my favorite comedy arcs! Laughing

That was absolutely hilarious! They should totally make a Gintama/PW crossover some day. Laughing
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
1. To Kikaioh There is no Ho-yay in Tsuritama. As a proud Fujoshi, who is also well-inform in real-life LGBTQ issues, I can attest to that. The story of how Yuki eventually blossoms from his shell to become a more self-confident individual is the highlight to the entire series.

I believe you when you say that Tsuritama's plot and execution don't suggest anything more than a platonic relationship between the characters. What puts my sensors on alert is that the main characters are such attractive teenage youths --- it's hard to deny that the character designs (and even their personalities) are appealing to the characterXcharacter pairing mentality of fujoshi. Having watched the first couple of episodes, I felt as though the series was designed with the tastes of modern-day Japanese females in mind (I couldn't help but imagine some of my female friends discussing how each character was cute or adorable in their own way). And if you don't believe the setup is in any way appealing to fujoshi, try a search on google images for 'tsuritama yaoi' --- the sexual subtext may not be there in the show, but a setup that largely revolves around a group of lithe and attractive teenage boys will understandably play to their imagination.

And I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing. I actually happen to enjoy a few works that have appeal to Fujoshi --- the Prince of Tennis anime is fun, so far I've enjoyed reading the Whistle! manga (it's certainly good about having varied character designs) and I happen to own all of Antique Bakery. I even have a number of Shojo series in my manga collection (Skip Beat, Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Fushigi Yugi, Kare Kano), so I think even girl-oriented series can be appreciated by guys. Perhaps what bothers me is the creeping feeling that so many characters in anime these days seem to be designed to appeal to a target-demographic --- it comes across as fan-pandering, and the subsequent lack of variability in character designs bothers me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Would you rather have panty shots of the female characters of the series or have Yurika giggle her breast toward the camera? Razz

...yes...

Male fanservice: Easily known, it's seen and then it's gone {So like real life, you know}
Female service: Ingredients for slash fiction. Like an odor in a bathroom, it lingers well past the cause for it is gone. {Fujoshi are called fujoshi for a reason}

"I'm enjoying this on a entirely different level than you are." I guess Kids on the Slope could be a bit like Bodacious Space Pirates; I'm not sure if Marika likes cute things, cute girls or just plain girls. Is it there? It's subtext but it's only subtext because of the larger plot point {jazz and pirating respectively}.

It doesn't matter but it's something for the audience to ponder, not to write "crossing the swords" fanfiction. No, no, I've mixed up my fictions. I mean "dueling instruments".

As for Haruhi's concert in Melancholoy, it was a case of serendipity and one of my favorites plots in anime {was it for her, was it for him? Who did it and what was done?}. The more authentic high school band experience was Kyon sitting alone in an empty auditorium listening to bad bands play bad music.

Ah, Chris Patton was Gin in the dub! Not that I found that in the review or the encyclopedia, I just gathered that from general postings here and there. Not surprising as it's quite often either Patton or Crispin Freeman playing Sugita roles. It's not exactly for the voice but for the inflection.

You know, acting. Sounds like a teenager? Gin often looks like a teenager or at the very least, he doesn't look as world weary as he should.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
What puts my sensors on alert is that the main characters are such attractive teenage youths ---

Umm, putting shows like Kaiji or Toriko aside, just how many series featuring unattractive teenage youths (male or female) are out there? Your poor 'sensors' must be on alert-overload pretty much all the time...

And i really don't get the implication that 'trying to appeal to fujoshi' (intentionally or not) automatically seems to devalue a series for some people while male-oriented fanservice apparently doesn't...
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Project Eden is the only entry in the Dirty Pair franchise I really care for, mainly because it's the only one I've seen whose sense of fun and exuberance is helped and not hindered by its budget. It's one most beautifully animated films of the 1980s. There's so much expressive character movement and detail in the art, and the trademark destruction caused by the girls has never looked more, well, explosive.

The other films in the set fare less well. I found Nolandia to be a dreadfully paced yawnfest, while Flight 005 Conspiracy is uncharacteristically po-faced, not particularly well animated, and just a little bit dull.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
Am SO surprised the Gintama movie is getting an R4 release. Can't wait to watch it with my bro, we're having serious Gintama withdrawals since they abruptly ended Gintama' =(

I hope that the Gintama movie is successful and gets more people to buy the series so that Sentai will release more episodes on DVD *crosses fingers*

I miss going from laughing-so-hard-i'm-falling-off-my-chair to bawling my eyes out when Gintama goes serious...

Ok, enough on Gintama Anime hyper I started watching Kids on the Slope because I was under the impression it was about jazz. It isn't really though, which is why I dropped it. The relationship polygon wasn't interesting at all. I rolled my eyes so much I thought they'd fall out at the end of...episode 4 I think. When the fifth person entered the polygon. Seriously, that's too much.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I believe you when you say that Tsuritama's plot and execution don't suggest anything more than a platonic relationship between the characters. [...] And if you don't believe the setup is in any way appealing to fujoshi, try a search on google images for 'tsuritama yaoi' --- the sexual subtext may not be there in the show, but a setup that largely revolves around a group of lithe and attractive teenage boys will understandably play to their imagination.
And a plot that revolves around nubile teenage girls will do the same to the fanboys. Just look at all the yuri around Lucky Star - even granting Konata and Kagami(which probably wouldn't be nearly so popular if the latter weren't tsundere), all the other friendships are perfectly platonic.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Excellent that Right Stuf have finally (re)released the last of the original Dirty Pair on DVD!

However, on my copy of the set at least, I noticed a serious audio problem with both English audio tracks being way, way out of sync on "Affair of Nolandia".

It's great that Right Stuf have gone to the trouble of preserving not one, but two English dub tracks for this release, a relative rarity where this applies, but it's a bit disappointing that their QC checks let the very apparent problems with "Nolandia" pass by.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:

However, on my copy of the set at least, I noticed a serious audio problem with both English audio tracks being way, way out of sync on "Affair of Nolandia".

I didn't notice that on mine, though I did enjoy that the Streamline dubs consistently added lines where there were none in the original or the ADV dubs.

As for Kids on the Slope, I'm slightly more disappointed that there hasn't been more done with the historical setting than the romance's increasing presence. Maybe I've just been reading too many old American romance comics, but I'd have liked a bit more social/cultural history. That said, I'm still very much enjoying it.

Oh, god,Unico? That gave me such nightmares when I was little! My middle sister and her husband just rewatched it (because she's apparently braver than I am) and report that it's even more disturbing now that we're not 7, 5, and 3 years old. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5