• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - All the Gintama In the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* I'd love to see the Sakamichi no Apollon manga and compare it to the anime adaptation. The anime just has that feeling of "we couldn't cover everything in depth in eleven episodes, sorry" to it. How much you want to bet that Jun's experiences at college, say, actually get more than the five-minute flashback treatment in the manga? That Sentarou's family history was abridged in the anime? Or Kaoru's relationship with his mother?

I can't be sure till I read the source material, but the anime has a cut-and-paste feeling that I just can't shake.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Because Gintama is, as Lord Geo says, about 80 percent silly and 20 percent serious, for me the serious dramatic arcs are very welcome as part of the series as a whole. They make me appreciate the characters more. Somehow, when you see characters that usually make you laugh suddenly in dark and dramatic situations, you're even more afraid for them than you would be for characters in an all-drama series.

I totally agree that the serious moments make the show much better, but this movie was like 80% serious and 20% silly, and I like the normal series' reverse of that ratio. I'm not saying to do away with serious moments.

Agent355 wrote:
Gintama-I haven't seen the movie (yet), and I wish you'd discussed the script changes in the dub. I heard the acting is mediocre, but the dialogue is hilarious, and seeing as you're a big fan of changing the script to make it funnier and more accessible to Americans, (Sgt. Frog, for example), I'd love to know what you thought about the changes in the funny parts.

Ah! I gave one script change example in the review, and I felt that was an adequate example. There weren't enough script changes in the film to make it funnier. Sometimes there's some light hearted slang interpretations, but nothing terribly memorable. It's not like the Funimation script treatments.

Agent355 wrote:
The relationships in tsuritama ...Not bad for a silly sci fi show about fishing!

Fishing you say?! SciFi?! Noitamina?! I should be watching that right now!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Because Gintama is, as Lord Geo says, about 80 percent silly and 20 percent serious, for me the serious dramatic arcs are very welcome as part of the series as a whole. They make me appreciate the characters more. Somehow, when you see characters that usually make you laugh suddenly in dark and dramatic situations, you're even more afraid for them than you would be for characters in an all-drama series.

I totally agree that the serious moments make the show much better, but this movie was like 80% serious and 20% silly, and I like the normal series' reverse of that ratio. I'm not saying to do away with serious moments.

Well that's essentially what happens when Gintama does serious story arcs: The ratio reverses and doesn't go back to normal until the story is done. If you have a problem with how the movie ended up, then there's a chance that you won't like any other serious story arc in the series, especially since the Benizakura Arc, which the movie covers, is only the first serious arc and is essentially the template for most of the serious arcs.

Well, okay, there are a couple of story arcs that are more of a 50/50 split, like the possessed hot springs story arc or the final story arc of the original TV series, but that kind of ratio doesn't happen as often.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
tsuritama is all about fishing...with an alien! Razz

Frankly, I find the fishing part kind of boring. (I tried fishing one=ce or twice as a kid. I got muddy and didn't catch a thing! Of course, after watching tsuritama I actually have a clue as to why I didn't catch anything back then...) I suspect the show could be used as a straight-up fishing tutorial.

It has a gentle sense of humor. No bathroom jokes or sexual innuendo here, which is amazing considering all the scenes about baiting rods, casting, and jerking the pole to catch a fish...I am not making this up. Four teenage boys go fishing together and not one of them makes a joke about rods or poles or what have you!

The sci fi aspect has been in the background while character development stands front and center, but it really is a lot of fun!

Oh, thanks for answering my question about the Gintama dub script. I read a review by hard-core fans who probably analyzed every line, but I suspect that its just the shock of hearing all those jokes in ones native language that makes the dub fun. That's why I want it, at least!
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Fishing you say?! SciFi?! Noitamina?! I should be watching that right now!

Yes, yes, you should. While I became a Nakamura Kenji fan during the Bakeneko/Mononoke period, I was less enamored with Kuuchuu Buranko and [C]. I had hopes that Tsuritama might represent a return to form, though I was a bit wary given that it was show about high-school kids and fishing. I expected that it would take second place in my noitaminA rankings for this season to Sakamichi no Apollon.

Well, now when Thursdays roll around I watch Tsuritama first because it's just so much fun and surprisingly dramatic at times as well. I can appreciate Apollon for Watanabe's subtle direction and the occasional jazz segment, but for me it's not as compelling as Tsuritama. I, too, have a problem with the weakly-written females in Apollon (though Yurika has shown some depth in last week's episode), but I enjoy the jazz and the period settings. (I, too, was a teenager in 1966, but I was more interested in the Beatles than in Art Blakey.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Oh boy. We're gonna have that discussion, are we? Evil or Very Mad

1. To Kikaioh There is no Ho-yay in Tsuritama. As a proud Fujoshi, who is also well-inform in real-life LGBTQ issues, I can attest to that. The story of how Yuki eventually blossoms from his shell to become a more self-confident individual is the highlight to the entire series.

2. Kids on the Slope is a based on a Josei manga. You know like, Nodame Cantabile and Antique Bakery, both which have a gay character but they are not the focus of the series. Both shows have a great story, likeable characters, and, in my opinion, are very good shows, just like Kids on the Slope. So what if Kids on the Slope is trying to pander to us fangirls? Would you rather have panty shots of the female characters of the series or have Yurika giggle her breast toward the camera? Razz

Besides, the strength of the series is the friendship among the trio: Karou, Ritsuko, and Sentaro. The fact that Yoko Kanno & Shinichirō Watanabe are part of this series is simply the icing on the cake. So, unless your slasher glasses are on too tight, try to be more open minded about this show.

Also, it's 1960's Japan, for goodness sake. Male friendship was different then from how American friendship is today. :/

3. Kuroko's Basketball.
Honestly, I watch it for two reasons: basketball and fan art. Lots & lots of fan art. Especially from Pivix! :3

I didn't really want to have this discussion either, but I do feel the need to apologies because I obviously offended you. I'm Sorry.

So let me clarify I don't put all the blame on the Fujoshi (I kind of meant it in a joking manner sorry for the lack of a smelly face) I also put some blame on the homophobic people who are scared off by any hint of Yaoi/Yuri. My problem is when they go over bored and try to make a show that isn't a Yaoi/Yuri into one. It bothers me for several reasons but one is that it takes sweet heartwarming stories of friendship and turns it into something that about sex. Also as with the Tsuritama example it can turn people away from a really good show (not that it is all the Fujoshi's fault). Basically I don't care if they have fantasies as long as they keep it to themselves and don't go over bored with it.

As for Kids on the Slop I wouldn't care if the characters were gay it still wouldn't stop me from watching it (I don't have a problem with shows showing gay romances, just the fanserves heavy ones that exploit them). All I was trying to saying was that unlike Tsuritama, Kids on the Slop actually does have pandering to fangirls.

Again sorry.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
It bothers me for several reasons but one is that it takes sweet heartwarming stories of friendship and turns it into something that about sex.

Thats not very fair to yuri/yaoi fans either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
050795 wrote:
It bothers me for several reasons but one is that it takes sweet heartwarming stories of friendship and turns it into something that about sex.

Thats not very fair to yuri/yaoi fans either.

I'm not saying that all Yuri/Yaoi is only about sex, but there is a lot of it that is and my comments were directed at that.

Really people you can think whatever you want about me, but I do and always have supported gay rights (and I also have several friends who are gay). Also I’m not blaming all things wrong with the anime industry on fangirls. Ok that is all I’m going to say on that.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:

I didn't really want to have this discussion either, but I do feel the need to apologies because I obviously offended you. I'm Sorry.

And that's all I wanted. ^__^
Thank you. Smile
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

"I'm not saying to do away with serious moments."

... and I didn't say or imply anywhere in my comment that this was what you were saying.

?? Not sure why my comment merited this response.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Umm, putting shows like Kaiji or Toriko aside, just how many series featuring unattractive teenage youths (male or female) are out there?

Princess Jellyfish and Genshiken. Ping Pong Club....

yuna49 wrote:
I, too, have a problem with the weakly-written females in Apollon (though Yurika has shown some depth in last week's episode),

I also enjoyed episode 9 - Yurika's relationship is more interesting that that of the main characters.

SnaphappyFMA wrote:
"I'm not saying to do away with serious moments."

... and I didn't say or imply anywhere in my comment that this was what you were saying.

?? Not sure why my comment merited this response.

Oops, maybe that was unclear... a few people early on in the thread seemed to imply that I didn't want any serious moments in a comedy. You weren't one of those people, but I wound up quoting you because I liked your 80/20 ratio so much.

Agent355 wrote:
I do not understand the attitude that fandom's imagination ruins stories for people. That mean you can't read Arthur Conan Doyle because people like to see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson as a couple? What about Star Trek? Fans have been slashing Kirk and Spock for decades. Give me a break.

Well, let me explain it to you!

When it comes to fujoshi fodder, there's a big difference between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original and the recent BBC series Sherlock. Doyle was unaware of slash fiction (probably), whereas the creators of BBC's Sherlock wink at the audience continually. For example, lots of characters in the show ask if Watson is gay, which could be reasonable in a modern script, but it's also winking at the fujoshi in the audience (and on the internet, so to speak).

I think it's unobtrusive when Shonen Jump protagonists just happen to have the traits of uke and seme protagonists in yaoi (the uke is shorter, with rounder eyes and dark hair, etc.). It's obtrusive to the story when things happen like Light and L getting chained together in Death Note. Although there is a fairly good plot reason for that, I think it's more of a big fujoshi-wink (a move so big you can hear doujinshi authors picking up their pens...).
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
For example, lots of characters in the show ask if Watson is gay, which could be reasonable in a modern script, but it's also winking at the fujoshi in the audience (and on the internet, so to speak).

As I recall, Watson is a widower who comes to live with Holmes after his wife dies. Holmes always struck me as essentially asexual. There was, of course, "the woman" (Irene Adler), but Holmes's interest seemed motivated more by her having outwitted him than by any sexual attraction.

Other than The Seven-Percent Solution, I don't think I've read or watched any of the non-canon works. Doyle's stories don't need any further elaboration.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for clarifying, Erin. What I meant was if the canon has no sexual subtext (like the original Sherlock Holmes novels, and tsuritama) than what some fans think/do with the material shouldn't keep other fans from enjoying the original story.

BBC's Sherlock has tons of subtext, and I can definitely see how that would bother potential viewers. Kids on the Slope has a few easy-to-spot winks at fujoshi, but the main character's sexual orientation are never called into question (unlike Moffat's Sherlock, or Death Note's Light and L), so it should bother viewers who don't care for yaoi less.

Turning the tables around, I don't usually watch moe shows, but I loved the heck out of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I'm absolutely sure that there is explicit yuri doshinji out there that I might find distasteful...Still a great show. I'll just avoid that particular type of fan art, thank you.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I really like Kids on the Slope, and I actually disagree with Erin here about the love triangle. Taken at face value a love triangle is rather cringe-worthy, but Kids on the Slope manages to execute it so well. This is one of the few times where I've seen a show like this, where the people in the show actually behave like normal people.

A good example of this is during that beach episode, I love the fact that Kaoru storms off after yelling at Sen, only to wonder why he did and then regret doing it. It was a very human thing to do, and it feels like something someone would do in real life.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Thank you for clarifying, Erin. What I meant was if the canon has no sexual subtext (like the original Sherlock Holmes novels, and tsuritama) than what some fans think/do with the material shouldn't keep other fans from enjoying the original story.

I agree, hell if I let an anime's fan base prevent me from enjoying it, I wouldn't be into any anime at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5