• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Files 3rd-Party Claim in Funimation's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Technically speaking, that should totaly break that whole newco thing Sentai's been trying to pull and that would mean that they would have to throw the towel in something closely resembling a dignified manor.

Course Texas is another freaking reality onto itself so whatever.

You do know that what you just said was very ignorant.

Statement 1) ADV should, logically, be forced to scrap the Newco loophole because they are sueing as ADV
Staetment 2) They should close down like any other company that goes bust instead of carrying on in the manor they have been
Statement 3) Texas law is bullshit.

I don't see any ignorance there.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
superdry:
Quote:
For one, the Baccano BD set sold out and they are doing another print. Why ROD? Who knows?

Ok, well, I guess Baccano was a bit more in line with what people were willing to pay.

Quote:
Fate/Zero box set 1 sold like 50K the first week and I think it's up to like 60Kish? That's pretty damn good for a BD boxset only release.

It's not bad, but BD's a lot more dominant in Japan than it is here. So it's actually kind of weak.

Quote:
Considering there is possible money to be made in R1, have you thought that Aniplex Japan opening up a branch in the US allows them more control over their product than just simply giving the license to a US company?

Yes, but if they have to stream these titles, then they're already conceding that they'll be irrelevant in due time.

Shana:
Quote:
If they weren't making much money already, they'd have gone under years ago.

Again, they're protected by Sony.

luffy:
Quote:
I consider it a premium release. The quality for that show especially was way above anything else we had been given.

But it's still a show based off a friggin' video game.

Meso:
Quote:
Now the second one needs to happen and that's just get rid of the rest of R1:
-MB, Viz, and Nozomi: too small to matter. Love them all you want, but their trickling of titles in a shrinking market is more of an irritation than a necessity because the "other two" declined them.

Please. If the smaller companies go under, then the long-term fans who couldn't care less about the boring new shit will drop out of the R1 market entirely, and the industry will once again be dependent on flippant teenagers who only buy into anime as a fad. And we all know how long that lasted.

Quote:
It understands to make good anime means to produce it, and it's trying.

If that were the case, then why does no one care about Dragon Age? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Rarely does one ever hear customers complaining, because an exceptional monopoly ensures people don't know it exists.

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about. People have complained about Microsoft plenty of times. That's why they get a certain sense of schadenfreude knowing that, when actually forced to compete, they end up trailing third-in this case, the console race.

Quote:
FUNimation's role in the anime world is actually caring about anime and its fans, but that's a personal opinion.

Yeah, that's why Kodocha fans were able to finish the series before it got discontinued. Oh, wait!

Quote:
especially when some of you simply seem to be ignoring the issues of the current R1 market, not what happened 10 years ago.

Uh, ten years ago, we still had certain nameless a-hole companies which decided that releasing godawful dub-only versions of popular anime shows on DVD was the wave of the future, and which basically kept us from seeing a lot of titles subbed and uncut. If it were not for competition of streaming of raw and fansubbed versions which prompted companies like Crunchyroll to fill the void, they'd still be in business. Not to mention that the big box stores essentially served as barriers to more niche titles not called Dragonball Z or Gundam. So if it weren't for the internets, a lot of smaller boutique companies could not compete. It's also why the big box stores are doing their damnedest to rig sales in their by buying off pols who'd then discourage consumers from shopping online. It's no coincidence that they're also trying to destroy the secondary market, either.

Polycell:
Quote:
Monopolies inevitable result in lowered quality and higher prices - the postal service being the quintessential example.

Even with higher prices, I still pay less for a stamp than I do for "free market" health care and gas.

Quote:
If you're referring to the fact that they're hemorrhaging money, that would have more to do with them having drastically overinflated labor costs due to not being able or willing to stand up to the union(the extra costs of servicing remote locations for dirt cheap doesn't even begin to compare).

I personally think it's their continued use of oversized mail trucks which probably contribute to higher fuel costs than the competition.

cody:
Quote:
The Japanese don't want it,

The Japanese just want a purging of all North American middle-men, so their middle-men can reap the rewards by not having to worry about reverse importation.

Quote:
The reason you don't know is because of those very brands. Ray Bans are expensive, but those 99 cent specials at Walmart are not.

Of course, the irony of you bringing up Walmart while defending monopolies is hilarious, considering the company's human rights issues.

Quote:
It'll be much easier for a single company to take a loss on a $20,000 revenue-making title if they have 4 titles earning $100,000+ in profit.

Except the problem is they'll be gatekeepers for titles which might find an audience, but which they define as lacking in mass-market appeal.
Look at Miramaxe similarly treated Asian films in the 1990s and 2000s, even though now they're regarded as legit sources of revenue for the home video market.

Quote:
Again, it's no secret why FUNimation owns the largest market in revenue.

Um, because they happened to luck out on one random hit title, and would have gone the way of 4Kids, if not for DBZ? And they still could've gone the way of 4Kids, if they weren't savvier about the bilingual DVD market than 4Kids.

Quote:
Your personal bias against what you know of monopolies has left your post completely void of any reason for the bias.

Oh, I'm sorry he's biased against banks big enough to destroy the global economy by intentionally selling defective bonds.

Also, for everyone who's claiming FUNi isn't a monopoly, because they haven't licensed new stuff, remember when you could see Panty & Stocking legally online for free? And why do I gotta go with a shady company like Paypal just to finish Blood-C?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Fate/Zero box set 1 sold like 50K the first week and I think it's up to like 60Kish? That's pretty damn good for a BD boxset only release.

It's not bad, but BD's a lot more dominant in Japan than it is here. So it's actually kind of weak.

"Weak?" Have you actually looked at anime sales figures in Japan? 50,000 Blu-rays would have placed that show in the top-25 for sales in 2010, in the same range as Bakemonogatari. (That includes both anime and live-action releases.) Among anime releases in 2011 only Madoka topped 50,000 units. I'd post a link to these figures, but since they're at Suki it would be suppressed. As Susan Sarandon's character in Bull Durham liked to say, "you could look it up."
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Technically speaking, that should totaly break that whole newco thing Sentai's been trying to pull and that would mean that they would have to throw the towel in something closely resembling a dignified manor.

Course Texas is another freaking reality onto itself so whatever.

You do know that what you just said was very ignorant.

Statement 1) ADV should, logically, be forced to scrap the Newco loophole because they are sueing as ADV
Staetment 2) They should close down like any other company that goes bust instead of carrying on in the manor they have been
Statement 3) Texas law is bullshit.

I don't see any ignorance there.

As long as the companies are registered as legally distinct entities and transactions did take place, then there is nothing to drop. ADV did sell off most of it's assets. Even Funimation agrees on this part. However, the company was never legally dissolved, so it still exists and can do things like file lawsuits and can even pursue further business ventures if it could find the capital to do so.

I do agree on the point that Texas law is bullshit. I work for a large non-profit that has a shell holding company in Texas, just to take advantage of their business and tax laws (and to avoid loosing non-profit status in PA.)
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
superdry:
Quote:
For one, the Baccano BD set sold out and they are doing another print. Why ROD? Who knows?

Ok, well, I guess Baccano was a bit more in line with what people were willing to pay.

Yes, because Aniplex USA prices ALL of their releases at super high prices. The Baccano BD boxset was pretty reasonable. Sale price was about $60.

Quote:

Quote:

Of course we're talking about Japan. And, as yuna49 mentioned, selling 50K (the 60K number I mentioned was wrong) is not weak especially since Fate/Zero is the first straight to BD-box style release (no BD singles, no DVDs).

The sales of Fate/Zero puts it number 6 for best selling late-night TV anime in the last decade. If you think Fate/Zero numbers were weak, then all anime sells poorly.

Quote:

Quote:
Considering there is possible money to be made in R1, have you thought that Aniplex Japan opening up a branch in the US allows them more control over their product than just simply giving the license to a US company?

Yes, but if they have to stream these titles, then they're already conceding that they'll be irrelevant in due time.

What? Your statement makes no sense. Becoming irrelevant and streaming have nothing in common - Aniplex JP could easily not stream any of their titles, but since there is still a market for anime in the west, why not bring in a little extra money? Extra income is better than no income.

Your statement essentially states that all anime production companies in Japan will become irrelevant since they license their titles for streaming.

Quote:

luffy:
Quote:
I consider it a premium release. The quality for that show especially was way above anything else we had been given.

But it's still a show based off a friggin' video game.

How does that have any relevance to what luffy thinks is a premium release?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
The sales of Fate/Zero puts it number 6 for best selling late-night TV anime in the last decade. If you think Fate/Zero numbers were weak, then all anime sells poorly.
And the market would have folded a long time ago if they needed way more than that to break even.

Seriously, selling at least 10000 copies per volume means the show most likely turned out a profit (If it had really high production values (Like it costing $300,000 to make one episode), it may had lost money). All these turned out a profit after the final volume came out.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1972211#post1972211
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Rarely does one ever hear customers complaining, because an exceptional monopoly ensures people don't know it exists.

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about. People have complained about Microsoft plenty of times. That's why they get a certain sense of schadenfreude knowing that, when actually forced to compete, they end up trailing third-in this case, the console race.

2nd. The only one they're trailing is Nintendo.

yuna49 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

"Weak?" Have you actually looked at anime sales figures in Japan? 50,000 Blu-rays would have placed that show in the top-25 for sales in 2010, in the same range as Bakemonogatari. (That includes both anime and live-action releases.) Among anime releases in 2011 only Madoka topped 50,000 units. I'd post a link to these figures, but since they're at Suki it would be suppressed. As Susan Sarandon's character in Bull Durham liked to say, "you could look it up."

BD is dominant in Japan, but Japan sells far less home videos than, say, the US market. So 50k goes a long way there.

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Alright then whats your point then? Cause the last couple of posts you were implying that these anime didn't do well. And then people showed you the chart numbers and then you said its not that good. And now you said its "good" but still not that high?

Stop moving goal posts man.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Even with higher prices, I still pay less for a stamp than I do for "free market" health care and gas.
A) You're comparing drastically different things(why on earth would you pay more for a stamp than healthcare or gas?) B) Health care in the US is heavily cartelized(eg, medical licensing) and mostly paid for by third parties(half of all health care expenditures are paid for by Uncle Sam); that's not exactly a recipe for inexpensiveness. The electronics industry has been comparatively unregulated and we get increasing quality for the same nominal(falling real) price.
Quote:
I personally think it's their continued use of oversized mail trucks which probably contribute to higher fuel costs than the competition.
USPS uses smaller trucks than everybody else, resulting in smaller routes and both higher labor and fuel costs. They're moving to rectify that, though only as postmen retire.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It's off topic, but since someone did bring up "free market" health care, there are some good references about how it's definitely not a free market even if you believe that medical licensing by the state is ok.

http://mises.org/daily/author/1623/Andrew-Foy-MD
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
Polycell:
Quote:
A) You're comparing drastically different things(why on earth would you pay more for a stamp than healthcare or gas?)

My point is that USPS costs are in line with inflation, while other non-government owned industries are about holding the public hostage with exhorbitant prices for essential goods and/or services.

Quote:
B) Health care in the US is heavily cartelized(eg, medical licensing)

Um, if someone's cutting you up, you damn well better know they have a license to do so. And no, us bailing out insurance companies isn't why people pay an arm and a leg for them. It's because they can throw anyone they want out, deny anyone coverage, and they don't have to be held accountable for those practices.

Quote:
The electronics industry has been comparatively unregulated and we get increasing quality for the same nominal(falling real) price.

You also get products packed together in a sweatshop which break down faster. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
USPS uses smaller trucks than everybody else,

If that were the case, I could drive through my residential area when they take up my half of the street.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

My point is that USPS costs are in line with inflation, while other non-government owned industries are about holding the public hostage with exhorbitant prices for essential goods and/or services.

I've never felt like my computer, cell phone, games, etc. were "holding" me hostage or overcharging me. With the exception of the latter I get better prices, and in all categories some kind of increased production values.

It seems bizarre you choose the one industry that has some of the largest amounts of state intervention to make your point. It's almost like you are unaware of this. Aside from this, the USPS is heavily subsidized, is it really surprising they can keep their prices low.

GATSU wrote:

Um, if someone's cutting you up, you damn well better know they have a license to do so.

Not all procedures that doctors perform are major surgery, and I think I can make these decisions for myself. To the extent you value licensing, you can still get private licensing and certifications, the state is hardly necessary for that.

GATSU wrote:

And no, us bailing out insurance companies isn't why people pay an arm and a leg for them. It's because they can throw anyone they want out, deny anyone coverage, and they don't have to be held accountable for those practices.

How do you know us bailing out insurance doesn't contribute? And this is hardly the only factor. The state also contributes to more people using insurance to pay for basic care by not taxing insurance as they do income. Don't you wonder why health insurance didn't become a big thing until WW2? Does this not seem.. odd to you at all? And isn't it also odd that prices increased for medical care around the time the government nationalized huge chunks of it through medicare and medicaid?

Quote:

You also get products packed together in a sweatshop which break down faster. Rolling Eyes

This is patently false. I've had old cars, new cars and new ones are better. I've also had older electronics and newer are both sturdier, faster, and have better battery life as well. Where is the evidence for your assertion to the contrary?

Quote:

If that were the case, I could drive through my residential area when they take up my half of the street.

He means in comparison to other couriers, are you daft?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I've never felt like my computer, cell phone, games, etc. were "holding" me hostage or overcharging me. With the exception of the latter I get better prices, and in all categories some kind of increased production values.

It seems bizarre you choose the one industry that has some of the largest amounts of state intervention to make your point. It's almost like you are unaware of this. Aside from this, the USPS is heavily subsidized, is it really surprising they can keep their prices low.

GATSU wrote:

Um, if someone's cutting you up, you damn well better know they have a license to do so.

Not all procedures that doctors perform are major surgery, and I think I can make these decisions for myself. To the extent you value licensing, you can still get private licensing and certifications, the state is hardly necessary for that.

Licensing by the state is free or low cost most of the time. Hospitals and ambulance services don't pay anything to obtain their licenses. They simply must meet the standards the state has set. Doctors and nurses sometimes have to pay to test and occasionally renew their licenses, but generally those fees are extremely low.

Private licenses and certifications ALWAYS cost money, and often a significant amount. They also almost always require you to renew the license each and every year. Private certifications and licenses can also vary greatly on what and who they allow to be certified and what requirements they have. I know of private accreditation "organizations" that do even do criminal background checks on applicants. Many will accredit you as long as you are willing to pay the fee.

Have a state mandated set of licensure requirements ensures there is a certain standard of care across all providers. Without that, you could potentially go to a hospital that doesn't keep heart monitors in it's ER or has any set of sanitation protocols. You could have hospitals or ambulance services that could just stop offering services when they feel like it, or refuse to service certain groups of people.

Most private accreditation groups have standards that exceed the state departments of health anyway. So no only do you have added costs of additional equipment and training, but you also have the added cost of the license or certification itself (which can cost tens of thousands of dollars at the high end per year.). Private accreditation, and that fact that a large hospital would likely have to have private inspections by numerous groups, would more than likely increase costs, not decrease them.

Also, it's a free country. You can go ahead and use unlicensed doctor if you wish, but you will have no one to blame but yourself should something go wrong.

I've worked in health care for a very long time. I've run an ambulance service for 13 years and I'm also employed at a large hospital. Most people do not have the medical understanding to be able to choose between different groups of doctors each licensed by a different organization, or not licensed at all. Choosing a doctor is not like choosing a car or a house. You just don't go for the best "value".

So now, can we please get back to the topic this thread was actually about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12