• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2008's Top-Selling Graphic Novels in U.S. Bookstores

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
errantrogue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
congrats, Naruto, for continuing to be the lowest common denominator. Crying or Very sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Only one volume of Bleach? Interesting. Manga dominating three-quarters of the chart does not surprise me at all, but Naruto dominating half of that number tells me that this manga version of an anime series does indeed have a strong following here in the US. Perhaps I will check it out this year.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
How true, errantrogue. Though I bet for every one Narutard that actually buys the volumes, there'll be 10 who don't...
errantrogue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
How true, errantrogue. Though I bet for every one Narutard that actually buys the volumes, there'll be 10 who don't...

i can guarantee it. they aislesit all weekend at my bookstore. fuckers.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
It's because manga buyers have gotten smart: they run into the bookstore as soon as it opens, grab copies of what they need, and proceed to the cash register. Why? So they can shop before 20% of the manga is being horded by the manga cows. Wink

Exactly. I went to Barnes and Noble a few days ago and sure enough, there was a kid sprawled in the manga aisle, reading. It took all the restraint I had not to kick him and yell "THIS ISN'T A *BLEEPING* LENDING LIBRARY!"

Damn Narutards. At least I buy my manga online so I don't have to plow through them to get to the damn manga. Rolling Eyes
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I know viz is going to want the vampire knight anime even more since the manga sells well
i cast fira

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that they still HAVE Naruto manga out, considering scanlations and the "omGG!1 japn mainjuh narutoez kawaii desu" some fans seem to have. Rolling Eyes

As for the cows, 90% of the time I hit my local Barnes and Noble, I see some cow who doesn't even offer to move when other customers and I clearly wish to purchase manga from the shelf (s)he is so incessantly guarding.

In addition, I do wish that manga other than popular shojo and shonen would make such a list. In my opinion, there are better manga than Naruto and Fruits Basket.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Loved "Monster", so I can't wait for "20th Century Boys"

Quote:
It just kind of sucks to see so much Naruto, when there is so much other good stuff out there.

Agreed. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2