• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upper Deck Responds to Counterfeit Yu-Gi-Oh Card Suit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Lol they raided Chinese counterfeit factories? That sounds like alot of action, like it would be in a movie or CSI or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeityofDestiny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
SeiyuuOtaku wrote:
Whose deck ran out first, win this lawsuit.

Until then, let's enjoy our popcorn.

Yeah, maybe they could settle this dispute with a duel.

UDE: "No OCG cards."
Konami: "No TCG cards."

Quote:
Upper Deck further claims that it has "spent millions of dollars fighting against Yu-Gi-Oh! counterfeits and even raided Chinese factories itself because Konami refused to do so or, in some cases, simply reacted too late."

I think I've been playing a bit too much MGS, since the first thing I think of reading that is UDE having fully armed men at their disposal. Plus a wealth of money.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
H.A. Senidal wrote:

Again I say, children's card games are serious business. Least people haven't started a riot over this, set cars on fire, and looted shops, right?

Yes, this is business. Here's a link to one shop's prices for the R1 cards. When some cards are selling for $35 a pop, some of those collectors and shop owners are prob crying the blues now especially with that counterfeit charge.
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I almost quit Yu-Gi-Oh! when I saw the price for Crush Card Virus: $200-$275.

I wonder though, the manufacturers don't make that money out of those expensive cards because all they really sell is packs and boxes...etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This is all Konami's fault. The judge hearing the case will undoubtably rule in favor of Upper Deck. As far as the courts are concerned, a contract is a contract unless one side of the party breaks that contract.

Since Konami is the one trying to break the contract, the judge is going to look at Konami's lawsuit against Upper Deck and throw the case out because it's obviously a move by Konami to try and put pressure on Upper Deck. They're obviously being vindictive in regards to the lawsuit they filed against UD and, in the long run, Konami is going to end up making a very large payout to Upper Deck as well as being ordered to honor the contract they signed.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
H.A. Senidal wrote:
When I think of the most prominent TCGs out there, Magic comes first, and then Yu-Gi-Oh! Naruto and Pokemon cross my mind afterwards. The fact that people are watching the Konami-UD legal dispute and worrying about the fate of the game says a lot about how big it is. Children's card games are indeed serious business.

According to a list done by ICv2, in Fall 2008, Pokémon was the #1 TCG overall, and Yu-Gi-Oh! was #2 overall. Though Magic was 1st at hobby shop retailers.

But yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh! has a fairly large following with both younger and older crowds (indicated by its #2 position at both mass retailers and hobby shops), so it's arguably the hottest TCG on the market.

Oh, and I also support the notion of Konami and Upper Deck settling the dispute with a duel. Better yet, make it a Turbo Duel and show it on ESPN. xD
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Would it be too passe of me to once again mock a children's card game? Should I stop referring to YGO as such in every related topic?

...nah

Worse comes to worse, Konami can just send MG-REX and have it trounce UDE headquarters. And if that doesn't work, have Simon Belmont bomb the place with holy water.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Worse comes to worse, Konami can just send MG-REX and have it trounce UDE headquarters. And if that doesn't work, have Simon Belmont bomb the place with holy water.

I can see the headlines now: "Romanian terrorist firebombs card factory, claims crusade against 'Great Dracula of West'. OHS: 'What the f--- is this crap?'"
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
DeityofDestiny wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
SeiyuuOtaku wrote:
Whose deck ran out first, win this lawsuit.

Until then, let's enjoy our popcorn.

Yeah, maybe they could settle this dispute with a duel.

UDE: "No OCG cards."
Konami: "No TCG cards."

Seriously ... one company accused of printing counterfiets (or possibly too many legitimate cards) and the other with the full legal right to print as many rares as they want, but only so long as they never touch North American soil. Oughta be one hell of a match unless UDE is innocent and get trounced. So I propose a strategy where they force Konami to swap hands when all they are holding are Sosa & Jager cards.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
All this over a ****ty kids' monster-battling card game. The mind boggles sometimes, doesn't it?

The fact that something is sold to children doesn't actually change the fact that it's worth a ton of money. It's actually pretty reasonable for companies to fight over the rights to it.
rg201508

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
at this point, being a duelist who plays this game with a certain passion, i am currently worried about the state of it. it is clear to me that konami will appear as the overall victor due to the fact tht you dont just jump out of nowhere and accuse someone of stealing frm you, which is wht they did here, and second, they own the game. right now im mentally battening down the hatches bc i believe tht konami will take the game over in the end. the real thing tht we as players must ask, is wht will happen when they do?
VDZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
While it has plenty of detractors, it's a very luck based game, which is appealing to many because it's easy to learn, easy to win, and you can beat up your luck instead of yourself if you lose.

Actually, I disagree with you on this part. I've played both Magic: the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! (and a couple of other TCGs).
Magic requires a far greater minimum amount of skill to build a good deck (a bad player can't build a good deck, great players can build great decks) compared to Yu-Gi-Oh! (a bad player can build a rather good competitive deck, great players can build great decks).
However, in the game itself, the way luck and skill affect the result are completely different.
-In MtG, you are not very likely to be completely screwed by bad luck, although this is possible. During the game, your long-term luck is a very important factor to winning the game - if you keep drawing two-mana creatures for six turns, you will lose, no matter how good you are or how good your deck is. Victory in MtG is mainly decided by the deck, with playing skill and luck as less important factors. A competitive deck will almost always win from a casual deck in MtG.
-In Yu-Gi-Oh!, luck is a lot more likely than in MtG to screw you over. A game can vary greatly depending on random chance. However, in this great variety of possibilities, the decisions you make during the game are extremely important, much more important than in MtG. Although the risk of losing because of bad luck is greater than in MtG, your playing skill also makes a huge difference. Victory in Yu-Gi-Oh! is decided by deck, playing skill and/or luck, depending on the situation. I have managed to win many duels playing with the 'inferior' deck (usually my casual deck vs. a random competitive deck), mainly because I made the right decisions during play. A fun thing to do after winning a duel is playing another duel with your opponent's deck, with your opponent using your deck. In MtG, it is quite common for the previous loser to then become the winner. In YGO, I rarely lose a game against an opponent I won against after switching decks (the exceptions being when my opponent had a downright HORRIBLE deck).

tl;dr: Yu-Gi-Oh! requires as much skill as Magic: the Gathering, but in different ways.

samuelp wrote:
I can only see this ending in one way:

A duel.

Konami: Zutto ore no taaan!
Konami: Left Right A B A B A!

Win.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
All this over a ****ty kids' monster-battling card game. The mind boggles sometimes, doesn't it?

The fact that something is sold to children doesn't actually change the fact that it's worth a ton of money. It's actually pretty reasonable for companies to fight over the rights to it.

No, I'm fully aware that the franchise is worth a veritable crap-load of money, but I can't help but be amused over that weight of a franchise that is (at least to my non-target-audience eyes) completely disposable trash. Very Happy
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Totally OT, but I heard there was a YGO card that was an homage to Metal Gear. Can someone at least tell me which card it is? I've been wondering about this FOREVER.

Oh, and if Konami used the KONAMI CODE or the Castlevania III HELP ME cheat, UDE would be soooo screwed.
dm85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
All we can do is wait and see. There's no real way of knowing who's telling the truth. Both companies look out for #1 so no doubt they're going to slander each other...

Also..let's not insult the card game people. As anime fans we should know better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3